Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Unexpected infotainment reboot

Reactions
I was 2 1/2 hours into a 3 1/2 hour trip when I stopped for fuel. I was running Waze on CarPlay on an iPhone 13 Pro. I also had the V1 Gen2 hooked up to its app via Bluetooth so as not to miss anything while enjoying a musical interlude. When I returned to the highway I noticed the orientation of the Waze screen was not correct. I canceled The route and re-set the destination. No change in orientation. I thought about stopping and going through a key cycle. Then the screen went black and my phone went black. Now I’m really thinking key cycle. But, probably less than 30 seconds later, I see the ST Ford Performance reboot screen. Once the main screen comes up, my phone comes up. Set the destination and all is well. Which crashed? My phone or the infotainment system? Never had either let me down before.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Surprised more haven't chimed in yet. The infotainment leaves some things to be desired for some to say the least. There has been a lot of talk about the system rebooting, crashing, glitching etc. I've had this happen while driving before myself. I haven't had nearly the issues that some have had so I would absolutely consider yourself lucky if this was an isolated instance.

Copper2020

U.S. Navy Veteran
Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I’ve had my ST since December, I’ve noticed that since then, it’s rebooted on me a couple times. No rhyme or reason as to when it’s happened, just does it.

Reactions
This happens once a month for me at different times. I've had the entire infotainment replaced under warranty because even the Ford Tech's couldn't update it. Plenty of gremlins running around inside that thing. Other than that it's a good unit lol.

OP
JRV1631
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I was 2 1/2 hours into a 3 1/2 hour trip when I stopped for fuel. I was running Waze on CarPlay on an iPhone 13 Pro. I also had the V1 Gen2 hooked up to its app via Bluetooth so as not to miss anything while enjoying a musical interlude. When I returned to the highway I noticed the orientation of the Waze screen was not correct. I canceled The route and re-set the destination. No change in orientation. I thought about stopping and going through a key cycle. Then the screen went black and my phone went black. Now I’m really thinking key cycle. But, probably less than 30 seconds later, I see the ST Ford Performance reboot screen. Once the main screen comes up, my phone comes up. Set the destination and all is well. Which crashed? My phone or the infotainment system? Never had either let me down before.
10,400 miles in 16 months and this is the very first time it’s happened. Seeing it’s more prevalent than I realized, I guess I’m counting my lucky stars…..sort of. Thanks for the feedback!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I’m hitting over 33k mi on my 2021 now. The infotainment will do this at random intervals every couple weeks. Low RAM and poorly coded infotainment system. Sometimes I force hard resets on a sluggish system mid drive (hold power and next track buttons). There’s no way around this without major overhaul by Ford. Jealous of the Volvos with built in Android OS. I’ve stopped using Carplay and adjusted to using the default Ford system on bluetooth for everything and it’s as stable as I can get (albeit still bad).

OP
JRV1631
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I’m hitting over 33k mi on my 2021 now. The infotainment will do this at random intervals every couple weeks. Low RAM and poorly coded infotainment system. Sometimes I force hard resets on a sluggish system mid drive (hold power and next track buttons). There’s no way around this without major overhaul by Ford. Jealous of the Volvos with built in Android OS. I’ve stopped using Carplay and adjusted to using the default Ford system on bluetooth for everything and it’s as stable as I can get (albeit still bad).
Might explain why I haven’t seen it more. I use Sync almost exclusively. Not a huge fan of the cartoonish appearance of CarPlay. I only use Waze and CarPlay on a road trip. I’ll take advantage of the community assistance to avoid supplemental taxation from the king’s highway men.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I have a 2019 F150 with the Sync3 system and it has done it to me a few times. Sometimes right after a cold start, and sometimes after driving for 30-60 minutes. It always comes back, but it is annoying.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Another feature of the SYNC2/3/4 system that keeps it continually rated by customers as the least reliable multimedia software from any of the big three. Go use MyLink or CUE or U-Connect then compare to any SYNC product. Its actually embarrassing how poorly engineered the product is.

Explorer ST Posts