Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tune caused P0035 and P2418 codes

NKestly

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Hi All,

New to the forum but I have done my research and do not see a threat on this. I installed the Cobb accessport on my 2021 ST. It drives great but it keeps popping 2 codes. The first is P0035 (turbocharger/supercharger bypass valve A control circuit high) and second is P2418 (EVAP system switching valve circuit/open). I trust Cobb and have used their tunes on vehicles in the past. But could this possibly be because the later model year 2021’s don’t have the bypass valve and their tune changes something in the ECU to cause these codes?

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Welcome to the forum.

OP
N

NKestly

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Thanks! And thank you for your service(s)! @Blue Beast

BBGun242

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer
Hi All,

New to the forum but I have done my research and do not see a threat on this. I installed the Cobb accessport on my 2021 ST. It drives great but it keeps popping 2 codes. The first is P0035 (turbocharger/supercharger bypass valve A control circuit high) and second is P2418 (EVAP system switching valve circuit/open). I trust Cobb and have used their tunes on vehicles in the past. But could this possibly be because the later model year 2021’s don’t have the bypass valve and their tune changes something in the ECU to cause these codes?

I doubt there is anything in the tune that would affect those. I have a 2022 and got tuned by GooseTuned. No Codes.

Late model Ford's are renown for their EVAP Valve Issues.

OP
N

NKestly

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
I doubt there is anything in the tune that would affect those. I have a 2022 and got tuned by GooseTuned. No Codes.

Late model Ford's are renown for their EVAP Valve Issues.
Hard to believe it’s that big of a coincidence that it happened as soon as I loaded the tune.

OP
N

NKestly

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Update on this. I uninstalled the accessport for all of last week and drove about 700 miles with no codes. I reinstalled the tune yesterday and the codes immediately came back. So the tune is what is causing the codes. Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
Go with @GooseTuned he will get you sorted out.

OP
N

NKestly

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
Leaning that way

BBGun242

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer
Have you reached out to COBB? Are you running the latest firmware on the AP?

Which tune where you running? I ran a full tank on the 87 tune last week, without issue.

OP
N

NKestly

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
I talked to them multiple times. They told me to uninstall the AP and drive for a few days. I will be calling them tomorrow again now that I did what they asked and have the same issue. I am running the 93 tune. I also tested it on the 91 tune with the same issue.

OP
N

NKestly

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
Also yes, I ran all the firmware updates.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer ST
Been goosetuned for 3k miles without a single issue , ots tunes have always been crap, let goose pro tune it.

OP
N
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #15
He won’t tune for me until I get the check engine lights checked out because he believe there has to be a mechanical issue. I tried that and no issues were found by ford. The codes don’t exist when the tune is uninstalled. Not sure what I’m supposed to do. The car runs great with the tune installed but the check engine light turns on the second I load the tune.

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
He won’t tune for me until I get the check engine lights checked out because he believe there has to be a mechanical issue. I tried that and no issues were found by ford. The codes don’t exist when the tune is uninstalled. Not sure what I’m supposed to do. The car runs great with the tune installed but the check engine light turns on the second I load the tune.

Does your PCV line have a sensor in the middle of it or not?

OP
N
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #17
Does your PCV line have a sensor in the middle of it or not?
Is that the short black hose on the passenger side from the intake manifold with blue clips? If so, no sensor.

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Is that the short black hose on the passenger side from the intake manifold with blue clips? If so, no sensor.

Nah, it's this line in the driver's side

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebe...leHBsb3JlciZ5PTIwMjAmdD1zdCZlPTMtMGwtdjYtZ2Fz

Not sure when Ford stopped placing that sensor in line on the hose, but it appears as though having it or not can make a difference when tuning. I think I read on a FB group of someone having this same issue when tuning with ZFG as the original tune accounted for the sensor when the person didn't have it. Might be the other way around, but regardless, the tune needed to be updated to correct for it and the person no longer had any CELs.

OP
N
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #19
Nah, it's this line in the driver's side

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebe...leHBsb3JlciZ5PTIwMjAmdD1zdCZlPTMtMGwtdjYtZ2Fz

Not sure when Ford stopped placing that sensor in line on the hose, but it appears as though having it or not can make a difference when tuning. I think I read on a FB group of someone having this same issue when tuning with ZFG as the original tune accounted for the sensor when the person didn't have it. Might be the other way around, but regardless, the tune needed to be updated to correct for it and the person no longer had any CELs.
Thanks for the info. I’ll try and find that in my engine bay. I know ford made a few changes to the ST’s throughout the first few years. That was the first thing I thought about with the check engine light because mine doesn’t have the factory bypass valve.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
It's probably the Cobb tune. There are differences in stock tunes depending on your vehicle. Most tuners will take your stock calibration and apply their changes. Even my Livernois canned tunes are given to me based on what my stock calibration is. Does Cobb do the same?