Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission troubles

WorthyST

Reactions
Hello All

I’m having some issues on the explorer. We bought it in November 2019. Been perfect for 2400 miles. It’s started downshifting hard (like ready to fall out hard) between 6th and 5th. Took it to ford and the conclusion is a bad valve body in the transmission. Ford has had it for 10 days. I will keep you all updated. I hope this gets resolved as the car is a blast to drive and is perfect for the wife to get the kids around in. Stay tuned.

MattS2020

Reactions
We are having the same exact issue only at lower shift points. It also started happening at around 2500 miles. Same theory from the mechanic on what the problem might be. Our ST has been in the shop for a week with no contact from dealer. I am going to visit the service department today to hopefully get an update.

OP
W

WorthyST

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
So.....Ford contacted me today and said the part will be shipped next Thursday. They also said there were 51 of the same valve bodies on order for other people. That’s it for now. That will put the total time in the ford shop at over 3 weeks. I hope that part will solve the issue. We will see.

MattS2020

Reactions
Transmission woe's Update. Just got a call from my Ford Dealer yesterday. He left me a message that Our ST will be getting a NEW Transmission due to our issues which is great! Only one problem, said transmission is on back order so we have no idea when we will be getting our ST back!! I am sure glad I pressed for a loner vehicle! Anyone else having these issues?

OP
W

WorthyST

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Update
New valve body came in damaged. A new one won’t be available until March 20th. That will be a total of 45 days in the shop for a valve body replacement.

MattS2020

Reactions
My Ford shop got me a brand new tranny. They did not want to deal with valve body issues. Supposedly, this tranny is new and has a different part number indicating that the valve body issues have been rectified in it. I trust these guys as I have bough 5 vehicles from them over the past 7 years and they have never treated me wrong. So far so good! Tranny is extremely smooth and the girl is back to her impressive self. all smiles! Get your reservations for the ST school if you buy one of these! Sounds like a great time and you will learn alot about your new hot rod!

OP
W

WorthyST

Reactions
Thread Starter #8
I talked to ford today. Looks like they are putting a new transmission in ours as well. Hope to get it back soon. We are already booked for ST school at the end of June in Utah.

MattS2020

Reactions
Sweet!! Hope it all goes well for you too! We go to Park City for the school in early June ourselves! ENJOY!!

Reactions
Mine only has about 800 miles on it and it’s shifting from 1st to 2nd gear kinda rough, almost like it tugs, 2nd to 3rd not as bad but then after that it’s smooth. Seems to only do this when I’m lighter on the gas pedal, is this normal?

hbalek

Reactions
Mine only has about 800 miles on it and it’s shifting from 1st to 2nd gear kinda rough, almost like it tugs, 2nd to 3rd not as bad but then after that it’s smooth. Seems to only do this when I’m lighter on the gas pedal, is this normal?
I've noticed this as well when you're light on the throttle shifting to 2nd almost stalls. Either I got used to it or it got better now that I have 3100 miles.

OP
W

WorthyST

Reactions
Thread Starter #12
This feels more like your being rear ended as your coming to a stop (downshifting).

OP
W

WorthyST

Reactions
Thread Starter #14
No. This was in regular drive mode when I noticed it. I then tried every other drive mode and it was happening in every mode. This is not an aggressive downshift (sport mode). This was a HARD downshift while decelerating every time.

Reactions
Some of these are prone to trans fluid leaks from faulty cooler connections. As fluid level drops trans becomes erratic.
I have noted some fluid odor and a touch of smoke on mine recently so its going in service before fluid gets low........

~bv

Reactions
I am guessing this is where I would post this regarding transmission issue I had with new ST: 1,600 miles, mostly highway driving. On Jun 1st, on my way to access the freeway on ramp and pulling away from a complete stop, it struggled to shift from 1st to 2nd. When it did shift, it slammed into 2nd hard and violently - as if somebody had hit the car from behind. Since I was turning into the freeway on ramp, I continued but it stayed on 2nd gear. Got off the freeway about half a mile away, went to a complete stop, when it again struggled to move forward from complete stop and again, slammed violently (hard shift) into 2nd. I was about 3 to 4 miles away from a Ford Dealership, so decided to drive to location at 20 to 30mph. Same issue for the next 3 to 4 miles after stopping at stop light or stop sign, it would struggle to pull away from complete stop, then hard shift to 2nd.

Eighteen days in the dealership and they were unable to duplicate the problem - they released it NO PROBLEM FOUND - could not duplicate. They did acknowledged that it struggled to move when they moved the car from the driveway to a parking spot in the lot...

Been driving for 3 days now, and the shifting problem has not repeated itself (FINGERS CROSSED) but seeing the posts here re this transmission issue with the ST, I am not so sure that the problem will not come back

QwikEVO

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
I had this problem as well.

Mine has been in the shop since the Tuesday after Memorial Day waiting on a new transmission.

Reactions
This feels more like your being rear ended as your coming to a stop (downshifting).
So mine started to do that today. Got a appointment with ford tomorrow. Anything you recommend saying to them before I go in on Monday?

Reactions
I did thought it was weird that I did not get a error code Message or any lights on the dash. Just the transmission shift hard while down shifting.

Reactions
Update - I’m getting a new transmission now, only took them a hour to tell me what I already know. Smh. They said 10 days and it should be ready. Had to call ford to get a loaner for more than 4 days. Smh. At least they pick up fast. Just have to wait 24 hrs to get the approval from ford to extend the days. But the services department at Waldorf ford are amazing. Helped me with everything.