Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission/Shifting Stall !!!!!!!

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #21
It would make sense that Sport mode doesn't do this, as the some of those steps are not being taken, for example letting off in Sport applies engine braking- meaning the engine didn't immediately unlock the torque converter and upshift some number of gears. Therefore you don't get all the same hesitation when you floor it again. I thought I read above it did happen in Sport mode.
In my vehicle, I have noticed over time this started happening in sport mode but nearly as bad as the other modes. However, I just completed the Ford ST SUV Experience in Park City and after racing one of their vehicles all day in sport mode, it did this quite often. In fact, on the one race we did, I probably lost a second or two because of this. I also wonder if it has anything to do with the grade of gas being used. I used to run only 93 and now I run 87.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robs90

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
I would highly recommend that you call Ford and open a case with them directly. I was watching the updates after opening my case and dropping off my vehicle. The dealer tried to release it back stating that they could not reproduce the issue. Ford prevented that from happening and telling them to start performing some advanced road testing. One test they had them perform specifically was road testing while they wiggled wires around the Gateway Module (not sure if they were reading/recording real-time stats through the OBD II Port at the same time). It was at that point, they could replicate the issue. From what I read, there were interruptions taking place on their internal network/communications link back to the ECU (so data was being dropped before it made it's way back to the computer so no codes could be stored). I was glad I had the rental agreement as I was out my vehicle for over 3 weeks.

Wondering if the common denominator here but not sure if this is the case. From what I learned here with my issue, I would HIGHLY recommend opening a support case with Ford directly else you may get frustrated with your local service dept. Ford ended up flying out an Engineer to help diagnose onsite at the dealer.

Last edited:
Reactions
Any update on this? I'm going to go give this a try. We have a '21 ST with 5700. My wife complained of something similar, only difference, our ST will tell her to pull over and restart the engine. She also stated the auto start light on the dash flashes when it happens. She can't recreate it on demand and hasn't yet figured out what she is doing when it happens. It's never happened to me and I drive it more then her. Last happened while merging on to the highway. We took it to the dealer and they also couldn't reproduce and it isn't logging an error.
Took 9 months but the issue ended up being the Cam shaft sensor. Once they replaced that the issue has stopped.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Wow, would have never guessed that!
Some years ago I had a new Mustang GT. With less than a few thousand miles on it seemed unusually sluggish for 420 hp, so I drove it until the "Service" light came on. Brought it to the dealer and they said it was one of the overhead cam sensors. Wasn't even broke, was just unplugged. They reconnected it and all was good.

Reactions
I would highly recommend that you call Ford and open a case with them directly. I was watching the updates after opening my case and dropping off my vehicle. The dealer tried to release it back stating that they could not reproduce the issue. Ford prevented that from happening and telling them to start performing some advanced road testing. One test they had them perform specifically was road testing while they wiggled wires around the Gateway Module (not sure if they were reading/recording real-time stats through the OBD II Port at the same time). It was at that point, they could replicate the issue. From what I read, there were interruptions taking place on their internal network/communications link back to the ECU (so data was being dropped before it made it's way back to the computer so no codes could be stored). I was glad I had the rental agreement as I was out my vehicle for over 3 weeks.

Wondering if the common denominator here but not sure if this is the case. From what I learned here with my issue, I would HIGHLY recommend opening a support case with Ford directly else you may get frustrated with your local service dept. Ford ended up flying out an Engineer to help diagnose onsite at the dealer.
Opening a case with Ford is how we got action as well! HIGHLY recommend it! In my experience communication with Ford was a bit frustrating but it got the job done.

MrsBST8911

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Hey all. More of a lurker on here, than a poster. I love my ST until recently. I had her in the shop for about a month, they fixed some recall with the CAT converter, took 27 days for the repair due to part delays and what not, she was also there for the blue screen of death recall that the dealer failed to fix from the previous time. Anyway. fast forward to this past weekend I am driving back I go to accelerate to pass someone (in sport mode) and I lost all power. I was going about 81MPH and dropped to 50MPH. I heard almost a loud noise come from the exhaust. I had to switch to normal mode and it went away and resumed regular driving. I get home tell my hubby about it and he says could be poor fuel (i run premium only from costco). We go to ikea and the same thing happens this time in front of a tanker truck, rather quickly that I swear i almost was thankful for the leather seats in my vehicle. I could have touched cloth if you know what i mean. :eek::poop:

He has lost all confidence in this vehicle and i am slowly beginning to wonder if i should part ways with her.

**edited to add the following**

-21E11 Inlet Exhaust Leaks-The outlet pipe weld is cracked
SSM 49011 UPDATE ABS Module

They still didnt fix the blue screen of death issue..again.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Hey all. More of a lurker on here, than a poster. I love my ST until recently. I had her in the shop for about a month, they fixed some recall with the CAT converter, took 27 days for the repair due to part delays and what not, she was also there for the blue screen of death recall that the dealer failed to fix from the previous time. Anyway. fast forward to this past weekend I am driving back I go to accelerate to pass someone (in sport mode) and I lost all power. I was going about 81MPH and dropped to 50MPH. I heard almost a loud noise come from the exhaust. I had to switch to normal mode and it went away and resumed regular driving. I get home tell my hubby about it and he says could be poor fuel (i run premium only from costco). We go to ikea and the same thing happens this time in front of a tanker truck, rather quickly that I swear i almost was thankful for the leather seats in my vehicle. I could have touched cloth if you know what i mean. :eek::poop:
It could be fuel- see here:
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/loss-of-power-today-no-boost.3815/post-49141
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/loss-of-power.2423/post-52348

Start by resetting the computer as posted in latter thread. Then you move on to harder things!

Another poster on a different thread had similar symptoms which indicted the traction control system cutting power. I'd suggest turning traction control off completely (hold down on button and watch screen) and then seeing if it happens again under similar circumstances.

Last edited:
Reactions

He has lost all confidence in this vehicle and i am slowly beginning to wonder if i should part ways with her.

**edited to add the following**

-21E11 Inlet Exhaust Leaks-The outlet pipe weld is cracked
SSM 49011 UPDATE ABS Module

They still didnt fix the blue screen of death issue..again.
I hear you! I was there for months! OPEN a case with Ford customer support (800-392-3673)!

We had similar issues where we would lose power and loud noises. The dealer called it limp mode. The Ford pass app gave a bunch of different errors - crankshaft sensor, timing sensor, powertrain or four-wheel-drive malfunction, system fault, and powertrain control module is corrupt.

Opening the case Ford got us to a different dealership and prevented them from giving it back. Ford made them replace the cam sensor, the most frequent fault from the app. We haven’t had the issue since.

Ford seems to care! Dealerships, not so much.

MrsBST8911

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
So It was not the fuel. Husband checked and no codes on the vehicle either. I have a hard time trusting this vehicle at the moment. It feels sketchy to drive in sport so im avoiding it all together, but now im left wondering if it will produce the same loss of power in normal mode or any of the other drive modes. Anyway I am going to try and see what ford says I already have a complaint open with the customer service number for the lovely bill i received from enterprise for 27 days of rental at a total of $1220 for the time ford had my car while fixing the cat converter recall! Hello! :(

LondonST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
good to know im not the only one that this has been happening too... mine is doing the same thing seems to be all over the place when shifting. I was thinking it needed an ECU reset but good to know it could be the cam sensor.....will be opening up a case with Ford soon.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I have experienced similar but low speed. Pulling into traffic, hit the gas semi hard then let off as i cross the curb if you will then hit gas to get going to not impede cat behind me.

About 5 times in six months if just bogs waiting for something then it comes on. Im sure it is torque management cutting power when the trans is confused.

Other than a few minor occurrences i have had nothing like what you are experiencing. Pretty sure you could cure it with a tune. But then you might break something

MrsBST8911

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
So the better half and I drove around for a while yesterday in different modes comparing it to conditions that I experienced the "power loss" "limp mode" whatever you wanna call it. To him he thinks it could be a vacuum leak or quite possibly when they fixed the cat converter it changed something there. What we both agreed on is that my vehicle does not feel like the spunky aggressive vehicle it was when i turned it over for its repair. It feels throttled down and almost restricted like not the same vehicle at all. His 2019 Edge ST felt spunkier compared to my explorer. I can floor the pedal down and it doesnt give out the roar and instant gear changing that it did before in sport mode and normal is also less responsive.

We ordered the Forscan just to see if we can take a deeper look into whats going on. Not sure but i'm super frustrated by the whole thing.We honestly are contemplating test driving a used one of the same year to see if it feels as throttled as mine or even a new one. Something just doesnt feel right.

butt_yodel

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I have experienced similar but low speed. Pulling into traffic, hit the gas semi hard then let off as i cross the curb if you will then hit gas to get going to not impede cat behind me.

About 5 times in six months if just bogs waiting for something then it comes on. Im sure it is torque management cutting power when the trans is confused.

Other than a few minor occurrences i have had nothing like what you are experiencing. Pretty sure you could cure it with a tune. But then you might break something

I've experienced this in exactly the same way. Turning left at the light, letting off the throttle to gently clear the divider, brief loss of power when re-engaging the throttle. It's only happened two or three times in the last 4 months, but it's always at the same place in town, making me think it could perhaps be recreateable. I thought it could be something with the safety systems, but didn't see any indicator lights on the dash. Even just being a minor annoyance, I'm glad it's not just me :)

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The traction control system will regulate power- that has been discussed in other threads. This certainly happens when you're turning under the conditions @butt_yodel describes. Those situations are not seen by the ecu as abnormal, so no codes are thrown. To diagnose, try completely disabling traction control to see if it makes any difference. Another case is when you let off the throttle quickly then get back on the throttle. A lot of things are going on ...opening wastegate, fuel cuts, unlocking the torque converter, etc. These are all software related and can lead to some strange interactions.

Gibson

Reactions
I have recently brought my ST in for what I perceive to be a fairly significant transmission/shifting issue.

The issue happens often when I’m attempting to pass someone. Keep in mind, we all have a high performance and very fast vehicle. :)

If you accelerate as if you’re about to pass, let off the gas suddenly (in my case where I can’t quite pass yet), and then hit the gas hard...the vehicles loses all its powers/hesitates/and almost feels like The engine is stalling.

I can reproduce this every time now but the dealership is telling me nothing is wrong. This almost got me killed the first few times when I had no idea what was going on and I’ve never experienced this in the car before. Now I have to be somewhat gentle when I accelerate or pass a car in my $60k sport tuned vehicle??? WTF?

Has anyone experienced this? Can anyone also simulate or reproduce this?

I’m sorry Ford but this is a big issue and it needs to be addressed.

He’ll yes same issue twice towing and nearly bought it trying to pull back in! Dealer claimed nothing but it’s scary shit when I grab throttle and it’s not there. Happened on pulling into intersection too let off got back on it and nothing!

JeffL

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
I was driving my 2021 ST at about 40 MPH and lost acceleration. Had to pull over onto the shoulder. It felt like the vehicle down shifted into limp mode. I shut off the engine and restarted it to regain function. Scary situation and fortunate to have a shoulder to pull off onto. Very dangerous. There is a rear axle bolt recall. "The problem, ascribed to fractures of a rear axle mounting bolt that could lead the drive shaft to disconnect, was addressed by a Ford software update designed to apply the electronic parking brake if the drive shaft failed, the agency said."
It did feel like the drive shaft disconnected. I made an appointment with my Ford dealer for the recall.

Reactions
We just recently had this exact same thing happen to us - very scary. We are in the process of once again working with our local dealership to get these issues resolved. We're continually told that there is no code, so we cannot do anything. We have also opened a case with corporate so hopefully, we will get some resolution. Our Explorer ST is 2021 with ~28k miles on it now. These issues have been ongoing for quite some time and have had the vehicle in the shop now going on 4 times.

Reactions
Vehicle
21 Explorer ST
Same thing here, we had it happen twice not good!! and ford service said the same thing to us there's no code we know that's BS my wife and I had it happen to both of us an we saw the code come on. Who do we get in touch with any ideas ?

Peteroo

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
fml, this just happend to me going through a stop sign. another thing im keeping an eye on