Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Loss of Power today, No boost

Reactions
I was driving this morning and suddenly lost all boost out of no where. No DTC’s, no lights on the dash, absolutely nothing. Loaded the stock tune, still no boost, then proceeded to about 3 more stores which of course caused me to shutdown the vehicle for about 10 minutes at each location. Took off from the last stop and I have boost again. I don’t get it.

Stopped one more time to reload the ZFG 93 tune, pull out of the parking lot, and everything is running as the 93 Tune should be. Anyone ever experience this or possibly know what would cause it? Is something possibly wrong? Explanations welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The ST uses vacuum wastegates driven from a pump. That means the wastegates can be opened under command of the ECU at any time. You're sure there are no DTCs despite not having the CEL lit? I would initially suspect some other non-critical issue triggered a protection strategy- which still should trigger a DTC of some type. Otherwise, if it's a problem with the wastegate solenoid, it should trigger a DTC of some type as the feedback would be lack of boost despite the ECU commanding it. This issue has been mentioned by a couple of other owners- in one case it was a wiring problem of some type.

What were you doing right before you sensed a lack of boost? How did you notice- sharp acceleration or it just seemed doggy?

Last edited:
OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I got on the gas merging from a turning lane on to busy a street and it felt like my wife’s 2015 Explorer Non-Ecoboost, like a turd. No take off at all. Even attempted to take off from a stop a few times and it felt like it took forever to get to the higher RPM’s. I data logged and sent it over to Adam to check out. It’s running perfect now. Scary to know that this may happen when you go to pull out on to a highway and the loss of power is substantial compared to a Tuned ST that is running correctly. I’m going take a look at the data log shortly. Adam made some suggestions to check out.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
A quick turn accompanied by acceleration could cause a low-oil level or loss of oil pressure event. Certainly some things might trigger a "protect components" strategy. It probably resolved itself after no re-occurrences over a certain time period. Please report back on what Adam comes up with.

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
A quick turn accompanied by acceleration could cause a low-oil level or loss of oil pressure event. Certainly some things might trigger a "protect components" strategy. It probably resolved itself after no re-occurrences over a certain time period. Please report back on what Adam comes up with.
Definitely was the fuel. The knock Octane Modifier in the Data Log was at -1.00 which according to Adam is really bad. It basically went in to Fail-Safe which is a good thing.

This was Adam’s response. “If it is less than 1.0 then it is likely gone into a Fail-Safe mode due to poor fuel quality. It'll probably be something like -.40 or less if it's in safe mode. This reduces the limit for Boost by a lot in order to prevent you from causing damage due to poor fuel quality.”

I was traveling from Texas to Louisiana yesterday and fueled up 3 times but I bet I know where it came from. The only gas station that was near me when I had 40 mpg until empty. I filled up with Shell 93 Octane a little while ago at my regular station. The Knock Octane Modifier is back at 1.00 and it’s like it never happened.

I am so glad it wasn’t anything fatal because I have a stack of parts to install and a trip planned for next week. I know we say this a lot on this forum, but Adam is a stand up guy. He is always willing to assist with troubleshooting when things go wrong unexpectedly. Thanks again Adam!!!