Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission issue

Reactions
I’ve had my Atlas Blue/Track package Explorer ST since March 2020. Got 18,300 miles at this date with no problems, until today 11/23/2020. Sport mode always shifted abit late, held gear in 2nd a little longer. Today in ‘Normal’ mode at 33-36 mph, downshift’clunked’ really bad. Did it 4 more times on my way to Ford dealer(unfortunately 450 miles from home dealership) Patiently waiting for update.
Any similar issues with anyone else?

OP
J
Reactions
Thread Starter #3

dblaine

Reactions
I also bought my Explorer ST in March 2020. I have 22000 miles and I started having the same issue on 11/27/2020 that you described. It is much worse today, 11/28/2020. I am setting my service appointment today. Thanks for the links kkriskal.

dblaine

Reactions
My local dealer is going to replace the valve body in my Explorer. I will get more specific details tomorrow.

OP
J
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
I’ve had my Atlas Blue/Track package Explorer ST since March 2020. Got 18,300 miles at this date with no problems, until today 11/23/2020. Sport mode always shifted abit late, held gear in 2nd a little longer. Today in ‘Normal’ mode at 33-36 mph, downshift’clunked’ really bad. Did it 4 more times on my way to Ford dealer(unfortunately 450 miles from home dealership) Patiently waiting for update.

OP
J
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Update: TSB 20-2035 supersedes TSB 20-2107 on transmission rough shift issues.
Parts kit was ordered 11/25/2020. Will up date with further info after I speak with technician on repair.

Last edited:

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
My neighbor also has a 2020 Explorer, an XLT version, and she has had her transmission replaced. I still got the ST, hoping for the best. BTW, I live in a somewhat rural area and still have 3 Ford dealerships within 30 miles of where I live.

Reactions
Update: TSB on tramission rough shift issues.
Parts kit was ordered 11/25/2020. Will up date with further info after I speak with technician on repair.
All the best and will look forward to your update

OP
J
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Picking up ST 12/18/2020, has been at Ford since 11/23. Parts were backordered, Ford keep me informed with through the local dealer.
Issues: TSB 20-2035 (supersedes 20-2105) 10R60 Automatic Transmission-Harsh 7-6 gear Downshift - Built on or before 19-May-2020.

Test driven by Ford Service. Everything in order. My test drive will be a 425 mile trip to bring the ST back home.
Will attach TSB in later post

Reactions
Jdarc, please let us know how your ST is driving now after being fixed. Does it seem to be shifting normal again. I just took mine in on the 21st of December, and they finally got back to me today with the bad news. Sounds like they are doing the same thing they did to yours. Lots of parts. On back order till January 26th. I had same issue as you, the clunk on downshift between 35-30 miles per hour, but then started having clunky shifts all over the place. I have 21,000 miles on mine. Hoping this fix is a good one. The Service rep said the reason the parts are on back order is because Ford is having all sorts of issues with these 2020 explorers transmissions. His words were. 'i won't lie to you, I've done 3 of these recently." So any update you have, please share.

zslow6

Reactions
Our ST is also in for this. Has 15k on it. They are saying parts available Jan 5.

OP
J
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Jdarc, please let us know how your ST is driving now after being fixed. Does it seem to be shifting normal again. I just took mine in on the 21st of December, and they finally got back to me today with the bad news. Sounds like they are doing the same thing they did to yours. Lots of parts. On back order till January 26th. I had same issue as you, the clunk on downshift between 35-30 miles per hour, but then started having clunky shifts all over the place. I have 21,000 miles on mine. Hoping this fix is a good one. The Service rep said the reason the parts are on back order is because Ford is having all sorts of issues with these 2020 explorers transmissions. His words were. 'i won't lie to you, I've done 3 of these recently." So any update you have, please share.
Hi dudleysuper,

Got about 1300+ miles since the TSB update/repair. 900 highway miles and the additional city driving. Putting on another 450 tomorrow. No issues as of yet. Actually the ST seems quieter. Going into Ford this next week for FOC, so I’ll update my local technician to check for any leaks, etc. ( none discovered by me as of yet). So the short version, no problems, but I keep the Forum updated about any changes in drivability as we progress on the milage. My feelings are thatFord has a handle on this since owner problems have progressed from complete replacement if the 10R60 to the TSB local fix. I would suggest to anyone that has this happen once or twice to immediately get it in to Ford Service, to minimize further damage. Autotransmissions are complicated devices and issues should be addressed sooner than later. I apologize for the delay in getting back with you.

Reactions
Jdarc, thanks for the reply. That is good to hear so far. I was hoping for Ford to be on top of this since it sounds like so many issues. Good luck to continued good results for you. I'm optimistic that I'll have the same.

OP
J
Reactions
Thread Starter #16
Mine was not tuned. I was waiting at least a year, from date of purchase, before intercooler/tune upgrade.

OP
J
Reactions
Thread Starter #18
Just an update:3/3/2021- Have added an additional 3,900 miles with no issues related to transmission as descibed in previous starter thread. I have not babied it, ran it out in all modes. no issues. Will keep all posted on any related isues , if they occur. Good luck to all on getting your ST back on the road.

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer st 2020
Yes I’m having a lot of problem with transmission n noises