Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Sport Mode - transmission downshift is jerky

IndyFEST

Reactions
I’m a new Ford owner and I’ve had my 2020 Explorer ST since April. I absolutely enjoy driving this vehicle and have been fortunate not to experience any of the problems I have seen from other owners, yet. I have 4500 miles on and recently noticed while in Sport mode that the transmission is rough during downshifting. Right around 30mpg, the ST jerks abruptly. This can’t be good for the transmission. The dealer checked it out and said that’s normal for sport mode.
Is anyone else experiencing this in sport mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
I know this is one thing that is fixed with some of the aftermarket tunes.

Reactions
I’m a new Ford owner and I’ve had my 2020 Explorer ST since April. I absolutely enjoy driving this vehicle and have been fortunate not to experience any of the problems I have seen from other owners, yet. I have 4500 miles on and recently noticed while in Sport mode that the transmission is rough during downshifting. Right around 30mpg, the ST jerks abruptly. This can’t be good for the transmission. The dealer checked it out and said that’s normal for sport mode.

I have 7400 miles and also bought mine in April. I usually drive in sport mode and it does shift hard sometimes when engine braking but its not a clunking, just a low gear.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I would suggest disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and having the transmission relearn. Helped me out with shifts. I would also look underneath the driver's side door at the transmission cooler and make sure you don't have an oil leak.

Reactions

contrary to belief, firm transmission shifts are better for the transmission than soft slides. when clutch packs engage slowly, they generate heat and friction, when they engage firmly, they dont slip and they improve the life of the wear parts.

Reactions

I’ve had my Atlas Blue/Track package Explorer ST since March 2020. Got 18,300 miles at this date with no problems, until today 11/23/2020. Sport mode always shifted abit late, held gear in 2nd a little longer. Today in ‘Normal’ mode at 33-36 mph, downshift’clunked’ really bad. Did it 4 more times on my way to Ford dealer(unfortunately 450 miles from home dealership) Patiently waiting for update.
Any similar issues with anyone else?