Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission Fluid Change - Should I or wait?

Reactions
Vehicle
20' Explorer ST
Lurking through Reddit posts, forum posts and FB Groups with the Exploder ST... Tons of owners are having transmissions problems well over 35k miles. I'm just about at 45k and next time when I go in for an oil change at 50k, I was thinking about replacing the transmission fluid. Should I Or just wait until I experience problems? Also, What do you think the cost(s) would be? And potential benefits especially since this ST seems to be buggy or picky.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I’m planning to do a fluid change every 30k (at 16k now). But I’m the guy who changed the oil at 1k despite it not being required. Superstitious I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
If anyone has done this, approximately how much trans oil do i need to buy for a drain, filter replacement and fill.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I had mine done at 60. Fluid still looked great, but was a little low on the dipstick.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Reactions
Not necessary, unless you ask a Ford service writer, then you will also need a cabin filter, wiper blades, coolant flush, nitrogen change in your tires and on and on etc....

Reactions
If anyone has done this, approximately how much trans oil do i need to buy for a drain, filter replacement and fill.
6 quarts, most likely you will get 5-5.5 out with a filter change. Once you get it buttoned up let it idle for a while and cycle through reverse, drive and park to check the level.

Reactions
Mine was replaced at about 21000km (13,000ish mi) because the pan gasket was leaking; then I replaced all driveline fluids at about 50,000km (31,000ish mi), then again at 108,000km (67,000ish mi), so far no problems with any of the driveline housings. No harm in replacing fluids early/often - I saw enough examples over a number of years servicing cars what happens to fluids and vehicles that follow the “lifetime fill” schedule or some of the overly long manufacturer drain intervals…more than enough evidence for me to prefer to OVER-service rather than UNDER-service, and I have yet to blow an engine, transmission, or an axle on any car of mine by following my own schedule.

Last edited:

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Mine was replaced at about 21000km (13,000ish mi) because the pan gasket was leaking; then I replaced all driveline fluids at about 50,000km (31,000ish mi), then again at 108,000km (67,000ish mi), so far no problems with any of the driveline housings. No harm in replacing fluids early/often - I saw enough examples over a number of years servicing cars what happens to fluids and vehicles that follow the “lifetime fill” schedule or some of the overly long manufacturer drain intervals…more than enough evidence for me to prefer to OVER-service rather than UNDER-service, and I have yet to blow an engine, transmission, or an axle on any car of mine by following my own schedule.
I also tend to over service my vehicles. Seems to have served me well. Seen some pretty muddy brake fluid and trans fluid in cars where people consider filling the gas tank maintenance

OP
MyNameisE
Reactions
Vehicle
20' Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
If we use the maintenance schedule from Ford, it doesn't say to change the transmission filter/fluid until 150k. How accurate are these maintenance schedules? are they just generic.

I obviously get an oil change every 5K + Tire rotation, than I change my wipers generally every 2-3 years (I have a winter set and a summer set lol).

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Manufacture recommendations are useless IMO. Anybody that runs their trans fluid for 150k is begging for trouble. I change trans fluid about every 30-40k. But I am also an over maintained.

Any early fluid changes are just cheap insurance imo.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Manufacture recommendations are useless IMO. Anybody that runs their trans fluid for 150k is begging for trouble. I change trans fluid about every 30-40k. But I am also an over maintained.

Any early fluid changes are just cheap insurance imo.

Completely agree! Why take the risk? Change it at 50k

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
About 40 in fluid if you do it yourself. I’ve seen prices around 150-190 at a dealer.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I’ve never been a big fan of the flush. Sucking the old fluid out of the pan is fine imo but you don’t get to change the filter. Depending on how they maintain their equipment you could get a clean flush or a dirty flush. Also don’t recommend it for high mileage either. One reason I change every 30k-40k is I get half the fluid out each time. Sometimes I will drain/fill, drive a few miles then drain and fill again.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I see I am resurrecting and older thread but inquiring minds still want to know. :)
I'm seeing 30 - 60K for trans draining in the 2020 ST manual. It seems draining and changing the filter is in more favor than flushing? Flushing appears to be quite a bit more expensive than draining as I've seen it bottom out at $400. If I had the provisions, I'd do it myself but will have to rely on outside help for now.
Manual also says nothing but Mercon ULV but the darn dealership told me they are changing to Merc V so I'm staying away from them! Checking other shops in the area.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I always do a filter change on the first fluid change to get all the wear-in debris out. My second fluid change at 50k will be no filter, just suck and fill.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Dropping the pan only gets about half the fluid. A trustworthy pro shop should be able to exchange ALL the old for all new..

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Or do a double drain fill after driving around a bit in between if you like doing it yourself.