Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tire Shine

Reactions
This thread has me looking at the Dura-Dressing product. Most of the Tubers that have tried the Dura-Dressing product report positive results. That said, in reading about this product there were more than a few users that indicated that the acid used to clean wheels damaged their wheel's finish. Of course, those that claim damage say they have followed the instructions to the letter. Who knows if that's the case?

Dura-Dressing claims their cleaner is the strongest on the market and apparently, it's pretty heavy-duty. The old Bleche-Wite formula could do that to wheels if you weren't paying attention and allowed it to dwell too long. The newer version of Bleche-Wite seems to have eliminated that issue.

Dura-Dressing's cleaner seems to be an integral part of their multi-step process, which appears to be involved. I don't think it's a step you could skip to get a real benefit from their product.

There are, of course, a ton of different wheel manufacturers on the market with a ton of different wheel finishes. The people who claim damage don't mention what type of finish their wheels have (anodized, powder-coated, painted). I have no idea if there is a weak link here but it would make me hesitate or at the very least do some more research before I'd give this product a shot.
Tuf shine is the same thing. So get whichever is priced better at the time.

the key is per the instructions clean one tire at a time and not in direct sunlight. If the cleaner dries it could leave stains.I didn’t have any issues and I did it on a hot day even in direct sunlight but worked very fast. On new tires it takes only 2 cleaning runs around the car to have them ready for application.

On dirty old browning sidewall tires with caked on dirt from using gel style tire shines it takes about 6 cleaning runs per tire before they start showing clean enough. It doesn’t have to be perfect but getting most of the dirt off is important. It can still have a small amount of brown suds and the tuf shine will still stick fine. I’m going on over a month now on old tires and it still looks like day one and we’ve had an extremely wet rainy June. The stuff kicks ass and the cleaning process only has to be done once. Follow up applications are easy and just use regular car was soap and a soft brush before reapplying a new coat.

I did about 5 layers of tuf shine coating for 2 cars and still have plenty or tuf shine left for reapplication layers. The cleaner though I went through most of it which is fine since I don’t need it any longer if I continue to maintain the product every 2-3 months.

KegsBdry

Reactions
I know this thread dislikes the tire shine (spray and walk away) in a can method.

But there is something to say to convenience. I keep a can of it in my trunk and spray my tires at every gas fill up or if I'm heading into a store for more than 5 mins. Doesn't cost much and it's super convenient.

If I do a car wash at home, the extensive method is superior and I take that route.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I know this thread dislikes the tire shine (spray and walk away) in a can method.

But there is something to say to convenience. I keep a can of it in my trunk and spray my tires at every gas fill up or if I'm heading into a store for more than 5 mins. Doesn't cost much and it's super convenient.

If I do a car wash at home, the extensive method is superior and I take that route.
But if you use Dura-Coating or Tuf Shine you'll only have to maintaine it maybe once a few months. Tires will remain shiny and new opposed to dull and dirty with the gel/spray solution.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
OK, so I bought a Dura-Coating kit and have to say I like it. Sure, cleaning the tire was a pain but hopefully won't have to do that again for the remaining life of the tire. It looks good and no splatter. If I drive though mud/dirt, it seems to come right off easily in a car wash. I have about a third of the 8oz bottle for touch ups and still have half the cleaning solution.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
OK, so I bought a Dura-Coating kit and have to say I like it. Sure, cleaning the tire was a pain but hopefully won't have to do that again for the remaining life of the tire. It looks good and no splatter. If I drive though mud/dirt, it seems to come right off easily in a car wash. I have about a third of the 8oz bottle for touch ups and still have half the cleaning solution.
Glad you like it! You’ll never use anything else. I apply multiple coats so it’s shiny AF. People ask me all the time what I’m using. They’ll ask you too now.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Glad you like it! You’ll never use anything else. I apply multiple coats so it’s shiny AF. People ask me all the time what I’m using. They’ll ask you too now.
Saw a few people talk about it. Looked into it and forgot all about it. Was about to amazon me some more tire shine and thought, wait someone said there was a better way. This past weekend I did the work and got this stuff put on. Game changer...period. You were all right I bow to the power of the Dura-Dressing...where has this been all my life...so many cars...so much wasted energy lol.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Saw a few people talk about it. Looked into it and forgot all about it. Was about to amazon me some more tire shine and thought, wait someone said there was a better way. This past weekend I did the work and got this stuff put on. Game changer...period. You were all right I bow to the power of the Dura-Dressing...where has this been all my life...so many cars...so much wasted energy lol.
Glad you like it too, once you use it you’ll never use anything else. I have people ask me all the time what I use and I tell them the same thing.

I’m with you as well, lots of wasted time before I found this product!! LOL

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Update: So after about 2 1/2 months, the tires definitely look like they needed a top coat. I washed the tires and was surprised how little Dura-Coating is needed to coat the surface on a previously treated tire. NICE.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Update: So after about 2 1/2 months, the tires definitely look like they needed a top coat. I washed the tires and was surprised how little Dura-Coating is needed to coat the surface on a previously treated tire. NICE.
Thats what I like to hear!

Question for both of you, Cdubya & TLST22...do you park inside or outside? I was curious about longevity and 're-applying' since I park in garage. Just curious.

Reactions
Hey guys always see people talking this up so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm a nut about my tires looking good so I'm really excited. I'll keep you posted thanks for all the feedback.

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thats what I like to hear!

Question for both of you, Cdubya & TLST22...do you park inside or outside? I was curious about longevity and 're-applying' since I park in garage. Just curious.
I park in the garage, I've only had to re-apply a coat or two every 2-3 months but that's because I'm OCD lol

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Hey guys always see people talking this up so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm a nut about my tires looking good so I'm really excited. I'll keep you posted thanks for all the feedback.
Like others who have tried it, you won't be disappointed. All other types of tire dressing are irrelevant once you've applied this stuff on your tires.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
.do you park inside or outside? I was curious about longevity and 're-applying' since I park in garage. Just curious.
I park inside at home but when I'm at work, it's outside.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
I park in the garage, I've only had to re-apply a coat or two every 2-3 months but that's because I'm OCD lol
Thanks I was just curious since I wash the car so often. I'm nuts about keeping it clean as well. Do you 'clean' the tires before reapplying? I feel like it would be impossible to re-dress without a clean surface again?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thanks I was just curious since I wash the car so often. I'm nuts about keeping it clean as well. Do you 'clean' the tires before reapplying? I feel like it would be impossible to re-dress without a clean surface again?
Nope, just use a microfiber cloth and go around the tires once or twice. Even so there’s absolutely nothing that sticks to it so it’s never dirty. I do that anyway to be on the clean/ocd side of things and then re-apply more dressing.

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Let us know how it goes. I'll be doing a good clean this week since the weather is warming up. Can give an update on how its holding up.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I tried Durashine last year and wasn’t impressed. Looked great after cleaning and applying but it did not age well. Looking for an alternative so will be following this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk