Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tire Shine

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I use 303 Protectant but I don’t like shiny tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Without some more information I feel like this is going to go all over the place. Are you looking for a glossy black (wet) finish or a matte look like when the tires are clean? Everyone has preference. You can use sprays or gels to get both looks. After many diff products I was on the Meguiar's NXT Insane. Easy application and great look without any sling (if you didn't over apply).

Recently I've switched to the Griot's after I couldn't find the NXT and their stuff is amazing! Wet, shiny look that lasts until it rains or gets washed.

There are some products that are supposed to last a really long time and claim to be 'permanent matte shine'. I haven't ponied up for that yet.

OP
Mufasa
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
I like it shiny, and wet looking. I was hoping for something that lasts.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST

KegsBdry

Reactions
I typically use a can of WET TIRE SPRAY (& walk away) when parking.

Any suggestions on what is the best for the buck?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thats the stuff I was walking about. Supposed to be insane!

So...TLST22...is it all that it's cracked up to be?
It is, it's the best stuff I've ever used. Nothing compares to it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I typically use a can of WET TIRE SPRAY (& walk away) when parking.

Any suggestions on what is the best for the buck?
That stuff is garbage, get Dura-Coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST Star White
i like the silk shine from chemical guys, 1 coat is more matte and 2 is more glossy

not a fan of the messy application or cheap gel crap that flings off

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
i like the silk shine from chemical guys, 1 coat is more matte and 2 is more glossy

not a fan of the messy application or cheap gel crap that flings off
All these products attract and retain the dust/dirt from the road. Rub your palm or finger through the tire and you'll see.

Get Dura-Coating, it's basically like a shiny coat on the tires doesn't stick to anything, feels like rubber and lasts for weeks if not months.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
If you like shiny tires Opti-Bond Tire Gel is a nice product that will last for months and is shiny. A bit too shiny for my taste but it lives up to its claim. This seems to be a popular choice of many Professional Detailers.

https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-OB2008Q-Opti-Bond-Tire-Gel/dp/B00BFUFT2S?th=1

I really like Poorboy's Bold-N-Bright, I can easily dumb it down to the matte finish I prefer. A second application will also make it very shiny if that's what you're after. I use the spray but if you're after a Gel Poorboy's makes that too.

https://poorboysworld.com/bold-n-bright-32oz-w-sprayer.html

https://www.amazon.com/Poorboys-World-Bold-Bright-Dressing/dp/B00655EQRM/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2OWMXR5CASUTV&keywords=bold-n-bright&qid=1649973952&sprefix=bold-n-bright,aps,176&sr=8-2

The last thing that I'd add is that I find it tough to beat the Carrand Tire Brush for the application of just about any tire spray or liquid product. Super easy to use without getting product on the wheels. I find it much easier than using a foam applicator.

https://www.amazon.com/Carrand-93045-Brush-Dressing-Applicator/dp/B003V9JZYE/ref=sr_1_3?crid=NYGB6Y0VG906&keywords=carrand+tire+applicator&qid=1649974092&sprefix=carrand+tire+,aps,163&sr=8-3

Reactions
Reactions
Chemical Guys VRP. It lasts me a good 10 days before I even lose a little shine.

Reactions
Chemical Guys VRP. It lasts me a good 10 days before I even lose a little shine.
tuf shine lasts over a month without any change even through heavy rain.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Reactions
I don’t know why you guys still use this stuff. They’re all trash, all gel based or spray based tire shine are just a waste of money.
tuf shine or Dura coating are the only 2 options everyone else in this thread is using ancient tire shine which is not worth a damn.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
This thread has me looking at the Dura-Dressing product. Most of the Tubers that have tried the Dura-Dressing product report positive results. That said, in reading about this product there were more than a few users that indicated that the acid used to clean wheels damaged their wheel's finish. Of course, those that claim damage say they have followed the instructions to the letter. Who knows if that's the case?

Dura-Dressing claims their cleaner is the strongest on the market and apparently, it's pretty heavy-duty. The old Bleche-Wite formula could do that to wheels if you weren't paying attention and allowed it to dwell too long. The newer version of Bleche-Wite seems to have eliminated that issue.

Dura-Dressing's cleaner seems to be an integral part of their multi-step process, which appears to be involved. I don't think it's a step you could skip to get a real benefit from their product.

There are, of course, a ton of different wheel manufacturers on the market with a ton of different wheel finishes. The people who claim damage don't mention what type of finish their wheels have (anodized, powder-coated, painted). I have no idea if there is a weak link here but it would make me hesitate or at the very least do some more research before I'd give this product a shot.