Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

The 10 second Explorer ST thread!

Reactions
I'm just here trying to to finish my second cup of coffee on a Sunday and David London is freaking hot lapping records for the Explorer ST. 3 10 second pass within 10 minutes, 2 1.59 60's and less than a .1 mph spread on the trap speed. Crazy!

Intake
Downpipes
Exhaust
Intercooler
Nostrum Stage 1 fuel system
Crp stage 5 turbos
Stock trans received_513577373737438.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You forgot to mention the other mod: A ZFG racing tune!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
I'm just here trying to to finish my second cup of coffee on a Sunday and David London is freaking hot lapping records for the Explorer ST. 3 10 second pass within 10 minutes, 2 1.59 60's and less than a .1 mph spread on the trap speed. Crazy!

Intake
Downpipes
Exhaust
Intercooler
Nostrum Stage 1 fuel system
Crp stage 5 turbos
Stock trans View attachment 14934

Cheese. That's fast!

DeliciousCornbread

U.S. Army Veteran
Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2019 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
I just spent 45 minutes reading threads about the stock transmission chunking itself then I see this. lolwut

Nice (and consistent) runs.

OP
ZFGracing
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I just spent 45 minutes reading threads about the stock transmission chunking itself then I see this. lolwut

Nice (and consistent) runs.
They can hold power when tuned correctly. But they can also have valve body failures on stock untuned explorers so idk, it is what it is.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Impressive! I'm pretty impressed with my ZFG tune as well.

DeliciousCornbread

U.S. Army Veteran
Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2019 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
They can hold power when tuned correctly. But they can also have valve body failures on stock untuned explorers so idk, it is what it is.

Yeah that seemed to be the conclusion I came to myself. I’m no stranger to janky transmissions, both my S550 mustangs have needed synchros done under warranty on their MT82. I’ve been driving manual for 20+ years and never had an issue until those. So it’s soured me a little.

Either way, not to derail the thread too much. Those times are pretty impressive with bolt ons and a turbo upgrade from such a heavy vehicle! Especially on stock trans.

Reactions
ZFG FTW!! Definitely worth the price and any wait times. I tried another tune, it was meh-ok, then went to ZFG because I have a plenty of corn near me...night and day difference, especially the transmission tuning.

There is a reason all the fastest Explorer STs run ZFG!

BillBeau

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
You guys realize the changes you'll need to make if you hit 9.99 or faster don't ya? You better look up the NHRA rules if you go to a track.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
You guys realize the changes you'll need to make if you hit 9.99 or faster don't ya? You better look up the NHRA rules if you go to a track.
Yeah changes like another pair of pants.

Reactions
Didn't the rules change to 9 flat for street legal on DOT tires in March of this year? Or was that only for off the assembly line?

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Didn't the rules change to 9 flat for street legal on DOT tires in March of this year? Or was that only for off the assembly line?
Yes it did. It was for any street legal vehicle built 2014 or later can run a 9.00 and trap up to 150 mph without a roll bar. 2008-2013's are limited to 10.00 at 135. All factory installed safety equipment such as abs brakes, air bags etc needs to retained and working and the vehicle must have a valid license plate.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Is that a forum member running at Cecil County Dragway?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Certainly looks that way my fellow Marylander.
I don't know - looks like David London shared his slips with ZFG. If he's running up at Cecil I'd be interested in watching. I'm over in Harford County.

BillBeau

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
The changes I was talking about are NHRA SFI-rated parts. Like a Cage. You'll need an explosion-proof bell housing, sfi rated flex plate, an upgraded torque converter, and a five-point harness not to mention a tranny blanket. Those are just a few things.

Oh, I almost forgot. You'll need an NHRA driver's license. You guys are lucky. It used to be you had to have some of those things at 10.99

Check the NHRA rule book to see exactly what you'll need.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The changes I was talking about are NHRA SFI-rated parts. Like a Cage. You'll need an explosion-proof bell housing, sfi rated flex plate, an upgraded torque converter, and a five-point harness not to mention a tranny blanket. Those are just a few things.

Oh, I almost forgot. You'll need an NHRA driver's license. You guys are lucky. It used to be you had to have some of those things at 10.99

Check the NHRA rule book to see exactly what you'll need.
Uhhh…no.
2014 and newer cars with all oem safety features in place and stock sheetmetal can go as quick as 9.0 @ 150 with nothing else needed but a license. You can add any aftermarket parts you want but it has the be licensed and insured with plates.
Page 18/19 of the 2022 NHRA rule amendment book.

Last edited:

BillBeau

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
Uhhh…no.
2014 and newer cars with all oem safety features in place and stock sheetmetal can go as quick as 9.0 @ 150 with nothing else needed but a license. You can add any aftermarket parts you want but it has the be licensed and insured with plates.
Page 18/19 of the 2022 NHRA rule amendment book.
Sorry, it's been a while since I had my NHRA license.

Reactions
Thats amazing! And with the stock trans! So its a matter of having the right tune and a properly built tranny off the plant.

I take it this SUV is making about 650whp min?