Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

SYNC Won’t Hold Last Audio Source When Turned Off

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
The title of this thread about says it all. I listen almost exclusively to a USB device in my vehicle. When the car is turned off overnight it does not remember that the USB was the source I was listening to. It defaults to an unused FM station. Considering doing a Master Reset. Anyone else seen this issue.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
the one that annoys me is that the seek buttons on the steering wheel don't remember where you are when you start up in the morning. if I'm on preset #6 when the car starts up and i press the << arrow, it goes to preset #1 instead of #5. i have my presets organized with a mix of fm and xm based on genre. when going to a different station i dont want to switch from metal to classical, lol, i just want a different metal station.

Reactions
The title of this thread about says it all. I listen almost exclusively to a USB device in my vehicle. When the car is turned off overnight it does not remember that the USB was the source I was listening to. It defaults to an unused FM station. Considering doing a Master Reset. Anyone else seen this issue.
Mine does this too and it is quite irritating. I think that it is because the USB is the last to "initialize" when booting up. To get around this, I turn my stereo off before I get out of my car and then wait about 10 -20 seconds before turning on my radio and the USB is usually fine.

OP
GearHead_1

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Thread Starter #4
That’s kind of where I ended up too. I did reinitialize the SYNC system but nothing changed. I‘ve gotten use to saying play USB.

Reactions
My problem is more annoying than the previous mentioned problems because it happens while I'm driving. Let's say I'm listening to a Sirius station and I get a phone call. My iPhone is connected via USB and I'm using CarPlay. If I answer the call and talk for a few minutes I would expect the Sync 3 system to go back to the input source I was listening to before the call. Well that's not how it works. Sync 3 has switched the audio inout to the iPhone and doesn't switch back to Sirius. Now I have to go to the audio source menu and select Sirius manually. It's not really a safety issue, but it is very annoying.

OP
GearHead_1

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Thread Starter #7
You can of course use a simple voice command to go back to Sirius. I'm so use to saying "PLAY USB" it's now just a habit.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
My Ranger did this and I was hoping for better with the ST system. It seems quicker moving around, but startup is still glacial. I only picked the car up today, but it has not resumed from USB ever so far. With the Ranger it was about 1 in 5 tries.

I tried everything I could think of in the Ranger and never did get it to work right. Hopefully I can remember to turn the stereo off when I stop.:rolleyes:

NeverSatisfied

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
This is very annoying. What I have seen is it tries to load USB, but it's not ready and switches back to XM. Sometimes I have noticed if I remote start the vehicle, it will stay on USB

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I'm using a 256GB compact flash drive, formatted in NTFS with about 8000 songs on it. My files are mostly FLAC, with about 1000 256KB MP3s. I have separate FLAC and MP3 folders with Artist/Album/Song folder structure beneath the 2 top level folders. My ID3 tags are all in good shape. It works great, except restarting from USB.

I tried a bunch of things on the Ranger that didn't work. I finally boiled it down to a test setup. I used an older 1GB drive and a new Sandisk 32GB drive. I formatted both in NTFS, FAT and FAT32 and used the same 10 MP3 files for every try. Bottom line - It would restart from USB about 1 in 5 times and didn't matter what drive or format I used.

My partner had a 2017 Jeep Compass and now has a 2022. Using my flash drive, or any flash drive, in her car it will restart from USB every time. UConnect seems to start playing from any source quite a bit faster than Sync 3. If Chrysler can do it why can't Ford? Of course her UConnect system has quite a few other problems, so it's not nearly perfect.

NeverSatisfied

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
It's most likely a module initialization timing problem like someone previously posted. I wonder if Sync4 has the same problem?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I'm a little over 2 weeks of owner ship now and my success rate restarting from USB is 0. It switches to Sirius every time.

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
Same with android auto. If you've turned off the car (even just a few minutes, like when filling up the tank) it switches to an FM station instead of going back to spotify.

My guess too is that its because the usb connectio is the last to be initialized.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
My problem is more annoying than the previous mentioned problems because it happens while I'm driving. Let's say I'm listening to a Sirius station and I get a phone call. My iPhone is connected via USB and I'm using CarPlay. If I answer the call and talk for a few minutes I would expect the Sync 3 system to go back to the input source I was listening to before the call. Well that's not how it works. Sync 3 has switched the audio inout to the iPhone and doesn't switch back to Sirius. Now I have to go to the audio source menu and select Sirius manually. It's not really a safety issue, but it is very annoying.
is your sync updated? I do this all the time and when I hang up it goes right back to what I was listening to. I have had a podcast pause after hanging up before but that was random.
Do you get blue screen ever? or back up camera go out? Im just guessing but what ever switch that is its going out or is out. Every now and then i get in start and stereo is off and it wont power up unless I reset or restart the car. I think these units are just bad.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I meant to add in my last post that I updated to the latest Sync version. I don't see any differences at all.

NeverSatisfied

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Just thought I would add to this. I figured out why on some occasions, the USB would be active as soon as I started the vehicle. Turns out, if you unlock the vehicle with the keyfob before you head out, it seems to get all the modules fired up and USB will be active and you won't have to switch it. Seems that about 90 to 120 seconds is needed. If I unlock walking out my front door at home, it's not enough time; but leaving work and unlock while walking out of my office it is.