Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Sync 3 map update

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
I must not be doing it right then because over the past few years I have never had a SYNC update work when using a MacBook or any MacOS device. I always switch to Windows and it works first time everytime.
So I had this issue on my Fusion with Sync update. The trick is how you put the files on the drive.

So make sure you go into Safari settings and uncheck the option to automatically open verified/safe file when downloaded.
Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 11.48.51 AM.png

Once downloaded drop the zipped file onto the drive. THEN unzip it while its on the drive. The trick is that the drive has to be big enough to support twice the file size since you're unzipping and essentially duplicating the file. From there you can follow the instructions, move the folders around, etc.

Took two times to successfully update the maps, but no issues updating the SYNC (make sure you update SYNC first). Good luck peeps!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
To those of you that have managed to install the update…have you noticed any changes that justify the agony?
There were some local highway exit numbers that had changed within the last couple years. The new maps have the updated exit number info.

But other than that, no.

To be fair, I haven't really done much driving since the update.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Installed both, noticed nothing different
You mean no full screen carplay/AA?? Cmon ford! Just kidding I know that’s not happening lol I’m guessing bug fixes and at the very least, hopefully better optimization.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You mean no full screen carplay/AA?? Cmon ford! Just kidding I know that’s not happening lol I’m guessing bug fixes and at the very least, hopefully better optimization.
A guy can dream can't he? I keep hoping for the same thing.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Yeah thats gonna be in the 23's with the full dash screens and apples new car play that controls all the screens...so we'll have to upgrade lol.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I think there might be some new graphics in the various Settings pages. No new functionality. Just new images to coincide with each item.

At least they're new to me.

Reactions
So I just plugged in my android phone and loaded up waze and it's the same half assed screen as it was before.....

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So I just plugged in my android phone and loaded up waze and it's the same half assed screen as it was before.....
Yeah that’s expected. I wouldn’t expect it to ever happen at this point.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I am still not able to download map for my 22. Chat tells me it is available but when I plug in my vin I get the same”your vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
I am still not able to download map for my 22. Chat tells me it is available but when I plug in my vin I get the same”your vehicle

Attached are the newest versions

Attachments

Last edited:

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks. Got the Sync update, just not the map.

Reactions
Thanks. Got the Sync update, just not the map.

Not sure if this helps but i have my settings set for automatic updates, but it has never actually automatically updated. I have to go to search for updates. It finds them and the download begins. I downloaded the sync 3 update and it went pretty quick over WI-FI, after the sync was down loaded, everything looked normal ant the screen flashed to a message that it was downloading "letter salad" which gave me no idea what it was downloading. Figured either it was the map update or Russian hacking. Decided to plug in the battery tender and let it take its course. Took almost an hour, if your in the garage remember to turn off the head lights. Fun fact after almost three years of ownership, when plugged into the charger, engine not running, the informant screen does not cycle off. Anyway once the download was complete it announced I had updated the map and was good to go. However I can't get over the feeling there is a red dot on a map in Moscow that pinpoints my location.

bpenn8966

Reactions

Same with mine, I ended up opening a case over chat, after doing everything they said and it still not being able to update the map, because my VIN wouldn't update in the database they ended up sending me a USB with the update on it, that was the only way I could do it. I'm convinced all 22's are not in their database.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Same with mine, I ended up opening a case over chat, after doing everything they said and it still not being able to update the map, because my VIN wouldn't update in the database they ended up sending me a USB with the update on it, that was the only way I could do it. I'm convinced all 22's are not in their database.
Thanks for that. Just got off the phone with Ford….old school. Told me they have been getting tons of calls on the map update for MY22. She confirmed everything else was up to date and tried to force an update over WiFi and no go. Escalated to second tier. Should get a call within a few days to send me a usb. We will see if that happens.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Update worked. Still doesn’t show my 2year old street

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I’m curious…

I mostly use Google Maps from the phone. The rationalization is that Google probably keeps the mapping data updated. For those of you using the Ford navigation instead, why?