Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Sync 3.4 Update (Build 21020) Now Available on the Owner Site

hbalek

Reactions
I haven't tried the factory reset. The performance is now as bad as when I first purchased the vehicle and hadn't updated software.

Reactions
I haven't tried the factory reset. The performance is now as bad as when I first purchased the vehicle and hadn't updated software.
I'd give the reset a try and hopefully it will help with performance and the no audio problem. Something I helpful to do before a reset is take photos of my presets and any settings I may need to change back as well.

Reactions
Just curious, has anyone discovered any benefits to this "upgrade?" I suspect its a sop to disgruntled owners.

Reactions
I updated Sync myself last week.
Now it is updating something over the air

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I updated Sync myself last week.
Now it is updating something over the air

Hopefully it is the 2020 Map update.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Just curious, has anyone discovered any benefits to this "upgrade?" I suspect its a sop to disgruntled owners.
I read through this thread and didn’t see anyone mention upsides. I already don’t use default maps or Sirius.

OP
minuteman3

minuteman3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #47
When working, it seems to be quicker when moving from tab to tab. Like most software updates, most of it is probably "under the hood" and often fixes things that you may, or may not, be seeing. This seems to be the first time I've seen them try to push out the Maps update (far more data than the OS) which seems to be at least part of the cause of the issues. Maybe this is a "test" of their Over The Air (OTA) update technology/processes for the new F150 and Mach-e.

If so, I'd say it is not working well ...

Ken

hbalek

Reactions
When working, it seems to be quicker when moving from tab to tab. Like most software updates, most of it is probably "under the hood" and often fixes things that you may, or may not, be seeing. This seems to be the first time I've seen them try to push out the Maps update (far more data than the OS) which seems to be at least part of the cause of the issues. Maybe this is a "test" of their Over The Air (OTA) update technology/processes for the new F150 and Mach-e.

If so, I'd say it is not working well ...

Ken
So 21020 was a guinea pig update?

OP
minuteman3

minuteman3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #49
That’s just a guess. If so, they need to do a much better job!!

Our ST is currently at the dealer and some other service. We’ll see what they say!!

Ken

OP
minuteman3

minuteman3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #50
That’s just a guess. If so, they need to do a much better job!!

Our ST is currently at the dealer and some other service. We’ll see what they say!!

Ken
UPDATE:

Just picked up our ST and they applied TSB 21-2150 (which I can't find online so must be new) ... looks like they downgraded the OS back to 20136, but the maps remained at NA 2 20. Travel link was working OK, as was everything else. We'll see what happens over the next few days, but I have had no previous issues with 20136 so I'm hopeful that it's back to "normal" and there will someday be a new OS update that solves the problems in 21020!!

Ken

Reactions
Interesting, another update is downloading, which looks to be older than the update that downloaded and installed earlier (photo above)

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Interesting, another update is downloading, which looks to be older than the update that downloaded and installed earlier (photo above)

You have a long way to go. That was only file number 2 out of 12 for me.

hbalek

Reactions
I made 5 short trips today and Travel Link worked on the first and last one only.

Taz

Reactions
I made 5 short trips today and Travel Link worked on the first and last one only.
I'm still waiting to hear that yours got resolved before I try it. Did you use a flash drive when you updated? The last update I did, I used flash drive and files from Ford website. I was having different handshaking issues constantly. In Ford's help page, they stated that if you reload the update files again on top of the first one that it might help. I tried it and it worked for me. Good luck and thanks for the info.

hbalek

Reactions
I'm still waiting to hear that yours got resolved before I try it. Did you use a flash drive when you updated? The last update I did, I used flash drive and files from Ford website. I was having different handshaking issues constantly. In Ford's help page, they stated that if you reload the update files again on top of the first one that it might help. I tried it and it worked for me. Good luck and thanks for the info.
I used the USB to install the updates. But the system was also updating for over a week over WiFi after the initial USB installation. So it seemed to be having trouble completing the installation.

OP
minuteman3

minuteman3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #56
I've disabled the "Automatic Updates" function for the time being and will give Ford a week or two to sort this out. For now, the updates the dealer did (rollback to 20136) seems to have restored everything to a functional "normal."

Ken

Reactions
Once again, I suppose it’s too much to ask Ford to simply make the updates available on a USB drive?
I would gladly pay $20 for it?
You would rather pay $20 per update from Ford rather than spend 10 minutes copying files from your computer to a USB drive you already own...?

Reactions
You would rather pay $20 per update from Ford rather than spend 10 minutes copying files from your computer to a USB drive you already own...?
yes, I have attempted to do this a few times with my previous explorers and the ST. It never seems to work for me.

Taz

Reactions
yes, I have attempted to do this a few times with my previous explorers and the ST. It never seems to work for me.
Did you format the drive to exFat? Sometimes they still come formatted to Fat32 in smaller capacities.

Reactions
Did you format the drive to exFat? Sometimes they still come formatted to Fat32 in smaller capacities.
yes, I formatted the thumb drive to exFat