Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Stripped Engine Mount

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I've been hearing a "clunking" sound coming from right under the drivers floor board for a few days. I got the vehicle up on the lift and discovered this:
IMG_5736.jpg
IMG_5735.jpg

The left rear engine mount is stripped out. We were able to get it back in place but it won't screw in. Just spins and spins. Is this another weak point? I haven;t seen any other threads on this. Must have happened on a hard launch. Either that or they stripped it when they put the transmission in. I don't see the need to mess with this for removing the transmission but I could see them doing it just to get my vehicle back in for service! My mechanic said it's not really a big job to replace or put in a helicoil. I'm thinking a helicoil might not cut it. I'd feel better replacing the part.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Agreed just get another one. One thought is there enough room for a longer bolt and are there any threads above those that are stripped?

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
The part is only like $150 so I’m just gonna replace it. I’ll feel more comfortable knowing it’s done right. It’s hard to believe that even a hard launch could pull this out! I know it’s aluminum and all but that would take a lot of torque!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Lowering the subframe is a normal part of downpipe installs and trans swaps so yea…it’s highly likely the shop screwed it up but no, it wasn’t to make you come back for more service. Typical shop crap when they run fasteners in with an impact to save time…occasionally something gets stripped out.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Lowering the subframe is a normal part of downpipe installs and trans swaps so yea…it’s highly likely the shop screwed it up but no, it wasn’t to make you come back for more service. Typical shop crap when they run fasteners in with an impact to save time…occasionally something gets stripped out.
This! Impact drivers are not the right tool but much faster for techs. Really bad with torque to yield bolts. Torque wrench is your friend. The cradle bolts are 195ftlbs for the big ones. Had to go with the super long 1/2 inch torque wrench.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
You're probably right but they had to have known they stripped it. I didn't post it but I also found this right after I got it back when I had it on the lift to straighten out the exhaust they didn't put back together right.
IMG_5728.jpg
We also checked the transmission fluid level just for peace of mind and it was at about 2 3/4 so we pull some out to get it to the 3 1/2 mark. It was an easy enough fix but when you start adding up all this shit it comes out to complete incompetance! The next closest dealer is about 40 minutes away but that's where I'll be going next time. And that's only if it's a major repair I need done under warranty!

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You're probably right but they had to have known they stripped it. I didn't post it but I also found this right after I got it back when I had it on the lift to straighten out the exhaust they didn't put back together right.
View attachment 22708
We also checked the transmission fluid level just for peace of mind and it was at about 2 3/4 so we pull some out to get it to the 3 1/2 mark. It was an easy enough fix but when you start adding up all this shit it comes out to complete incompetance! The next closest dealer is about 40 minutes away but that's where I'll be going next time. And that's only if it's a major repair I need done under warranty!
That’s just plain scary! I would run as fast as you can. That is a HUGE liability for the dealer. A call to the owner would be appreciated I’m sure but I can also understand not wanting to deal with them ever again.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
WOW! How could you not know you missed the spring mount? Any Tech worth their salt gives their work one final look.

I haven't seen something like that since I was under an 84 Monte Carlo running lowering springs. Lift the car, they would fall out. They hadn't changed to a shorter shock that would limit the droop and when the suspension was relaxed they'd just fall out. I have a hard time imagining that these springs don't have a bit of tension on them even when relaxed.

I haven't been under a set of those once installed but I'd have to imagine that there is tension on them even when the car's weight isn't on them. Those springs don't move around when the suspension is hanging do they?

Last edited:
OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
No! They are in there tight but we were able to pull it over and back into place. There is plenty of tension on them.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
No! They are in there tight but we were able to pull it over and back into place. There is plenty of tension on them.

I’m missing something. Iirc you can’t remove the spring without removing the lower shock bolt. You shouldn’t be able to move the spring from the upper perch when everything is bolted up.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
Sure you can. It wasn’t easy but we were able to pull on it enough to jockey it over into place. Of course it wasn’t easy but we got err done.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Better that you had to wrestle with it. Not as concerned with your pic then.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Im sorry. Exhaust wasnt together right, spring was off the mount - someone's head is on the block for this, and they are sure as hell buying a new mount.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
Im sorry. Exhaust wasnt together right, spring was off the mount - someone's head is on the block for this, and they are sure as hell buying a new mount.
I’m done with that place! Every time they’ve had my vehicle it’s come back with something else wrong! They could not even get the right part! Good thing my mechanic checked it out before pulling everything apart! It didn’t look right so he ran the part number and it’s for a non-turbo! Freaking idiots!

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I’m done with that place! Every time they’ve had my vehicle it’s come back with something else wrong! They could not even get the right part! Good thing my mechanic checked it out before pulling everything apart! It didn’t look right so he ran the part number and it’s for a non-turbo! Freaking idiots!

Holy shit. Do they give the techs beer for breakfast? That is pretty bad.