Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Stock Subwoofer Ohms

Reactions
I was looking at just replacing the factory subwoofer and using the stock enclosure. I know there usually is not a huge difference in doing this. But in my past vehicles it always helped get a little better low end and sometimes a tad louder. (that depends on the efficiency\sensitivity of the woofer though) I have found conflicting reports that is a DVC 4ohm and another post say it is a DVC 3 OHM(Which would be impossible to find). Also if any one has done this what sub did you use? Any benefit to poly filling the stock enclosure?

Reactions
Its a 4ohm, I believe its a 50hz-200hz sub, pretty crappy no doubt and the magnet is super small. The Sony SW on the Sport was much better.

Last edited:
Reactions
subbed because im interested.

OP
Z
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Ok that helps , I’m guessing since it is a DVC 4ohm there are plenty of options. So it should be fairly easy to get a bit more low end and improve the sound little then. I know it won’t be anything dramatic but maybe just enough to balance it out. For $150-300 for a sub and few hours, I think I may give it a go.

Reactions
Let me know what options youre looking at.. or some links would help!

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Its a 4ohm, I believe its a 80hz-250hz sub, pretty crappy no doubt and the magnet is super small. The Sony SW on the Sport was much better
80-250hz is a midbass, not a sub. I play my midbass down to 63hz.

Reactions
80-250hz is a midbass, not a sub. I play my midbass down to 63hz.
You are correct! Was actually 50-200hz which isn't that much better either way. At least that's what I grabbed from another forum with an F-150 "B&O" setup.

Reactions
Ok that helps , I’m guessing since it is a DVC 4ohm there are plenty of options. So it should be fairly easy to get a bit more low end and improve the sound little then. I know it won’t be anything dramatic but maybe just enough to balance it out. For $150-300 for a sub and few hours, I think I may give it a go.
Not sure if it would make much of a difference if any without an amp. I think someone did it without an amp and said the bass hardly improved. The low bass is seriously lacking on this system but I don't want to add subs on the back either...

Last edited:
Reactions
Just do what do @UNBROKEN did. I dream of setups like that haha but my wallet cant pull that off.

Reactions
I’m upgrading again…I would definitely not recommend doing what I’ve done. lol
Haha you seem like the only who could pull it off.. I love all the custom fab work, keep it up.

Reactions
I’m upgrading again…I would definitely not recommend doing what I’ve done. lol
Haha I'll take those 2k tweeters but at a 90% discount

Reactions
Its a 4ohm, I believe its a 50hz-200hz sub, pretty crappy no doubt and the magnet is super small. The Sony SW on the Sport was much better.
The magnet is super small becaise it uses a neo magnet. Still a crappy woofer either way.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
What about those bazooka tubes with the built in amps? Are those any good? I had one about 20 years ago but not sure about them now. Poor mans bass I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Z
Reactions
Thread Starter #16

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’ve posted it before but I can’t stress enough…until you measure the internal volume of the oem enclosure, including the port diameter and length and search out a sub that will perform with those specs…anything else is a recipe for failure.
You can’t just drop in another sub because it fits in the hole.