Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Steeda vs H&R

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I have steeda springs and sway bar, so I can't speak to the H&R setup, but while close, on my vehicle they do not touch. if you hear a clinking noise, that should be loud enough to leave marks on the spring powdercoating. if the springs are scratched, there is your culprit but i am leaning towards it being something else. I have driven my truck HARD and even got it to powerslide a bit a couple times to test out the setup and there is no contact between the bar and springs.
Thanks. I’ll get under and check. Not sure what else it could possibly be and it would be a serious coincidence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Did you make sure the sway bar bushings are well lubricated? heat shields all secure?

It's got to be something else because the bar will not contact the springs or anything else in the vacinity.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Did you make sure the sway bar bushings are well lubricated? heat shields all secure?

It's got to be something else because the bar will not contact the springs or anything else in the vacinity.
Yea I used all the lube that was included with the bar. I didn’t put any on the ends though. Just the two bushings in the middle. Maybe it’s the Borla exhaust hitting again. I’ll check. Thanks.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions

Actually the bar can make contact with the H&R springs if it’s shifted to one side. The tabs on the bar to locate it will allow that much movement.
I should say it could hit in the middle or firm setting...but not the soft setting at the end. The end link will pull it far enough away in that case.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Actually the bar can make contact with the H&R springs if it’s shifted to one side. The tabs on the bar to locate it will allow that much movement.
I should say it could hit in the middle or firm setting...but not the soft setting at the end. The end link will pull it far enough away in that case.
Is there any way to shift it and stop it from hitting? I just got home and will climb under it and check. I still have the stock springs too.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Is there any way to shift it and stop it from hitting? I just got home and will climb under it and check. I still have the stock springs too.

There’s a little side to side play if that’s your issue. Or you can move the end link to the outside hole to gain some more room.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
There’s a little side to side play if that’s your issue. Or you can move the end link to the outside hole to gain some more room.
So, I just verified that the sway bar is hitting the driver side coil. The first pic is the driver side and the second is the passenger side. The driver side looks to be closer to the spring and I can actually feel the mark in the spring where the sway bar is hitting. I guess I’ll try sliding it to the right but not sure how that will work. Maybe it will move itself when it hits. Very odd though since there is really only one way to install this. I thought about moving it to the outside hole but I think I would still have the problem. The bar seems a tad too long.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I hate to say it, but you may have to redo your install. There is some amount of play of the mounting brackets positioning before you tighten them down. Once the sway bar is centered you have to position the brackets as inward as you can so that the bar's tabs limit movement to either side.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I hate to say it, but you may have to redo your install. There is some amount of play of the mounting brackets positioning before you tighten them down. Once the sway bar is centered you have to position the brackets as inward as you can so that the bar's tabs limit movement to either side.
Good point. I will do that this weekend. I wish the Steeda directions would have mentioned that. I may email then with errors in their instructions. I found a few other errors too. Thank you!

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST

Please watch what he's doing with his hand at exactly 9:48.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions

Please watch what he's doing with his hand at exactly 9:50.
Cool. I didn’t even see this video. Used the written directions from the website.

Reactions
Random question... how long (from the time you clicked 'order') to the time it showed up at your door, did it take for the sway bar to arrive? I know there are different shipping options. I am thinking about FedEx/UPS 2Day.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Fed Ex was fast. I ordered the sway bar and springs at the same time. They were both shipped at the same time but for some reason, the packages got separated. I received the springs in 3 days and the swaybar in 4--on a Sunday no less. They send it with "signature required" but you can sign a release and leave it at your door. They must have shipped it the day after I ordered.

Edit: corrected time because I don't usually count the day I ordred.

Last edited:

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Random question... how long (from the time you clicked 'order') to the time it showed up at your door, did it take for the sway bar to arrive? I know there are different shipping options. I am thinking about FedEx/UPS 2Day.
I live in Germany so it takes a little longer. 10 days I think. I love it. Cruise at 115 mph on the autobahn and don’t notice it.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions

Please watch what he's doing with his hand at exactly 9:48.
It looks like he was checking the distance between the sway bar ends and the springs to make sure they we’re equal on both sides. Wish i had this video first.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
So, I have stock springs and Steeda sway bar. I live in Germany and hit speeds of 125 mph routinely on my way to work. The truck seems to bounce a little more to my liking at those speeds. Will H&R or Steeda springs fix that bounce? Also, which ones will be better for towing as well? Thanks for the info.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
For sure either spring will control body motions a lot better than stock, and even putting the rear sway bar on the stiffest setting helps to restrain the suspension. The ride is less jiggly not only on the highway be especially on city streets. Honestly though, I wish Bilstein would put out a performance offering for our cars for better damping.

Last edited:

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
For sure either spring will control body motions a lot better than stock, and even putting the rear sway bar on the stiffest setting helps to restrain the suspension. The ride is less jiggly not only on the highway be especially on city streets. Honestly though, I wish Bilstein would put out a performance offering for our cars for better damping.
Thanks for the info. I may hold off to see if Bilstein or Eibach puts some out.

Bones

Reactions
I drove to work today after installing the Steeda sway bar and I am hearing a clinking noise when I go over bumps. It sounds like the sway bar is hitting the coil springs or something. Vehicle handles great but something isn’t right. The sway bar end is really close to the springs. Anyone else have any issues with this or have any advice? Everything is tightened and torqued to specs and if I recall, really only one way to install these. Any help would be appreciated.

I have the same problem with the Steeda sway bar I just installed and the stock springs. When I took out the stock bar the Steeda bar was physically wider than the stock one. Have you called Steeda about the problem yet?