Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Steeda vs H&R

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I have the same problem with the Steeda sway bar I just installed and the stock springs. When I took out the stock bar the Steeda bar was physically wider than the stock one. Have you called Steeda about the problem yet?
Steeda is supposedly looking into the issue (they came on here and made a post)--not sure if they revised the design yet--those that complained directly were sent new bars or refunded the cost of the bar. Their explanation was that the bar was designed to work with their lowering springs (which it does--I have both).

Everyone's solution has been to just chop off the last hole as its not used anyways. Everyone is either using the 1st or 2nd holes. Gives you more room all around and that third hole is really pointless anyways. Really, BOTH two end holes don't serve much purpose.

Reactions
For those that cut the end off... What did you use to cut it and what did you do to cover the exposed metal after cutting?

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
For those that cut the end off... What did you use to cut it and what did you do to cover the exposed metal after cutting?
a hacksaw. blue rust-oleum. its not anything that requires any level of precision. just sand the area a bit, sand the paint next to it a bit to create a transition zone, use a good primer and it looks factory.

Reactions
a hacksaw. blue rust-oleum. its not anything that requires any level of precision. just sand the area a bit, sand the paint next to it a bit to create a transition zone, use a good primer and it looks factory.
Same, I pulled the trigger. Hacksaw blade was super dull. my arms and shoulders were tired as heck!. I only cut off the the hole on the left end. I left the right side untouched as that has plenty of clearance. I also got a pair of these (thanks to @UNBROKEN for the idea):

https://www.amazon.com/Allstar-ALL52144-Aluminum-2-Piece-Design/dp/B006K8N6XO

But I didn't end up using them, still have them in case I changed my mind.

Reactions
Same, I pulled the trigger. Hacksaw blade was super dull. my arms and shoulders were tired as heck!. I only cut off the the hole on the left end. I left the right side untouched as that has plenty of clearance. I also got a pair of these (thanks to @UNBROKEN for the idea):

https://www.amazon.com/Allstar-ALL52144-Aluminum-2-Piece-Design/dp/B006K8N6XO

But I didn't end up using them, still have them in case I changed my mind.

Thanks to both of you. I have one sitting in the garage and didnt know how hard it would be to cut through. Might use a grinder and cutoff wheel to speed it up. Did you just cut at the middle of the hole or just behind it?

Thanks again.

Reactions
Thanks to both of you. I have one sitting in the garage and didnt know how hard it would be to cut through. Might use a grinder and cutoff wheel to speed it up. Did you just cut at the middle of the hole or just behind it?

Thanks again.
I cutoff about 1/3 of the hole. I wanted to take off as little as possible, but enough that would provide good clearance. Can always take off more, can't put it back on. ;)

Reactions
I cutoff about 1/3 of the hole. I wanted to take off as little as possible, but enough that would provide good clearance. Can always take off more, can't put it back on. ;)
Very true. Thanks for the info. Might tackle installing it this weekend.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I have the same problem with the Steeda sway bar I just installed and the stock springs. When I took out the stock bar the Steeda bar was physically wider than the stock one. Have you called Steeda about the problem yet?
Yes I contacted Steeda and their final comment to me is that there was nothing wrong with the size of the bar. I had sent pictures and measurements to them as well. My pics were of the stock and Steeda bar side by side. Stock is clearly larger. I just asked for a refund and they obliged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Steeda sent me a replacement revised sway bar. They said they fixed the fitment issues. I’ve already got the original installed with the ends cut off so now I’ve got an extra lol

DoingOK

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Steeda sent me a replacement revised sway bar. They said they fixed the fitment issues. I’ve already got the original installed with the ends cut off so now I’ve got an extra lol
You want to sell your "extra" one?

Reactions
Can you post pics of the new revised one please? I know it may be a bit much to ask, but possibly next to the original one. :)

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Can you take a picture of the ends?

Reactions
I wish Steeda would actually respond to inquiries via their website. :( Twice now, I've tried contacting them only to get no response.

DoingOK

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
I wish Steeda would actually respond to inquiries via their website. :( Twice now, I've tried contacting them only to get no response.
What question do you have for them? I called them yesterday to see how I ensure I get the latest "revised" rear sway bar. They told me all of them are now the revised since inventory has consumed the originally designed units. I ordered a sway bar directly from them.

Reactions
What question do you have for them? I called them yesterday to see how I ensure I get the latest "revised" rear sway bar. They told me all of them are now the revised since inventory has consumed the originally designed units. I ordered a sway bar directly from them.
Same question. I'd like a "revised" sway bar too, and how can I ensure I get one? Their website hasn't been updated to reflect the revision, and the pictures are still old so there's no way for anyone to tell. And if you had damage to your springs because of the original one it'd be nice if they just sent you one. I'm not expecting that, but I would like a response from them at least.

Last edited:

DoingOK

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
^^Have you tried calling them? I got through very quick.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yeah give them a call. Not sure what they would do if they damaged your springs but at the very least a new rear sway bar is in order. I have the Steeda springs so no damage, but just for piece of mind, I will be cutting the ends short when I go to get my winter rims/tires on. If the powder coat off your springs was taken off and some metal rubbed off, I'd try to protect it from further corrosion. Touch up paint probably wouldn't hold but for a small nick, who knows.

Reactions
^^Have you tried calling them? I got through very quick.
I haven’t had the chance yet, but I will on Friday or Monday. Thank you! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk