Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Steeda vs. H&R Springs

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I've done some searching and no doubt I've missed this. It seems like a question that would have been asked before but I didn't find anything. Seems like H&R springs are a more commonly installed spring than the Steeda set. Has anyone done a heads up comparison of the two brands? Wondering which set was preferred and why. Thanks.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
H&R sit roughly 1/2” lower...other than that I haven’t seen any negatives from either.

Reactions
I went with the Steeda springs. I preferred the look of them and keeping a touch of rake for when it’s loaded up so it won’t drag tail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
in addition to what @UNBROKEN says, it also appears that the Steeda springs tend to "settle" over time more than H&R do. so some folks with Steeda ended up with more drop than advertised (such as me) where there have been a few H&R guys getting a little less than advertised. side by side its basically impossible to tell them apart. additionally, prices have come down on the H&Rs. when they first launched there was a good $200 price difference between the two brands. that discrenpency has been almost wiped out with the most recent prices you can find. the biggest difference you will notice in person is that the H&R springs give you a level stance (they drop the rear more) where the Steeda springs retain the factory raked look and sit a little higher in the rear.

Reactions
any problems with ground clearance after the install? Pelotonracer, you listed the rear higher and raked look on the Steeda as a con, why? performance or styling?

Reactions
The Steeda springs don't look as good in my honest opinion. There is plenty of ground clearance.

There is more control and the handling is more precise with the Steeda springs. Weight transfer is more pronounced with the H&Rs and there is more body roll. The H&Rs are more "floaty". Steeda springs are stiffer and I think they work better with the rest of the stock suspension. I bet with firmer shocks the H&Rs would feel more precise.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The Steeda springs don't look as good in my honest opinion. There is plenty of ground clearance.

There is more control and the handling is more precise with the Steeda springs. Weight transfer is more pronounced with the H&Rs and there is more body roll. The H&Rs are more "floaty". Steeda springs are stiffer and I think they work better with the rest of the stock suspension. I bet with firmer shocks the H&Rs would feel more precise.
That’s all I’m really hoping for…some double adjustable “real” shocks and struts. I’m fine with not having a full on coilover if I can get my hands on those.

Reactions
That’s all I’m really hoping for…some double adjustable “real” shocks and struts. I’m fine with not having a full on coilover if I can get my hands on those.
Me too. I think upgraded shocks and struts in tandem with the H&R springs and rear sway bar will be really nice. If the Steeda springs offered the same handling but with the H&R drop it would be almost PERFECT. I really don't want to do coilovers, even though they might be fully adjustable. I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.

Reactions
so the Steeda handle a little better, but dont look as good or drop as much as the H&R, any thoughts about the Steed roll bar?

Reactions
Correct. The Steeda sway bar helps a lot but I never tried it with the stock springs so I can't say how much it actually does minus the drop springs. The Steeda combo really helps the handling and preciseness and steering feel (sharpness). The H&R springs look better but dont handle as well. The H&R ride better (more comfortable) and lower more which looks better. I love the way my Explorer looks with the back lowered even with the front.