Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Steeda tower brace and sway bar. Need advice.

F=MA

Reactions
Booooooo ok good to know.

F=MA

Reactions
Yes that is what I thought.

Reactions
The sway bar rocks. This is the third performance vehicle I’ve put a larger rear bar on to cut down on some of the under-steer. Not interested in pulling the stock springs, so the bar is a perfect complement to them. Went right to the stiffest/closest end link mounting hole and all is well. Totally worthwhile for anyone that likes to take the twisties.

Reactions
^^^ should I shave off the other holes?

Reactions
^^^ should I shave off the other holes?
If I had more time, I would have at least cut off the last hole. Not a big deal since you won’t see it, but the ends are pretty close to the spring coils. Even if I do ultimately swap to the Steeda springs, I’ll still stay with the inner-most holes. If you do cut yours, be sure to put some sort of coating on the bare tips just to keep rust away.

On a side note, for anyone interested in some great deals, Steeda has three on eBay for $150 (as of this writing). They just need some paint touch-up in a couple spots. This is $80 off the price on their site.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185063202325?hash=item2b16a05e15:g:VMAAAOSwuwphSeig

Last edited:

Manley00

Reactions
If I had more time, I would have at least cut off the last hole. Not a big deal since you won’t see it, but the ends are pretty close to the spring coils. Even if I do ultimately swap to the Steeda springs, I’ll still stay with the inner-most holes. If you do cut yours, be sure to put some sort of coating on the bare tips just to keep rust away.

On a side note, for anyone interested in some great deals, Steeda has three on eBay for $150 (as of this writing). They just need some paint touch-up in a couple spots. This is $80 off the price on their site.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185063202325?hash=item2b16a05e15:g:VMAAAOSwuwphSeig
HELLY YEA! Thanks so much!! I was about to buy these new! What a steal! YOU ROCK!

Reactions
It's a great deal for sure. Wish I would have seen those before I bought mine, although I didn't pay too much more than them. Still every $$$ counts! Glad you got hooked up!

Catch22

Reactions
Curious, I have owned alot of sports cars and put thicker sway bars and strut tower braces. But on these trucks, how much rougher is your ride? With the lower springs and Sway Bar? I do not want the ride to be more rough. As I live on a horribly bumpy long road home. Appreciate the feedback.

SOUTHFLST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Curious, I have owned alot of sports cars and put thicker sway bars and strut tower braces. But on these trucks, how much rougher is your ride? With the lower springs and Sway Bar? I do not want the ride to be more rough. As I live on a horribly bumpy long road home. Appreciate the feedback.
Shouldn’t feel it in a straight line

Reactions
The thicker rear bar is beneficial for handling and will help bring the under-steer down a bit. No difference in ride, and it also works great with the stock springs. For those of us that don't want to bother swapping to aftermarket springs, the sway bar is a perfect upgrade.

Reactions
crazy woman says it rides rougher and bounces more, me no notice

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Installed my Steeda sway bar a few weeks ago, amazing upgrade as everyone has said, it's a must-have for even stock STs.

Anyway, not sure if anyone else experienced this same issue, but I had a nasty creaking noise when just taking off from a stop and going up driveways. But never at above 5mph. So I took the mufflers and hear shields back off to see if there was something wrong. I noticed the lower sway nar bracket bolts were just touching off on the subframe. I don't have pics but if you did this install yourself you know they are very close. The included Steeda bolts have a larger head, and a very fat washer. So I swapped back to the factory bolt on the bottom, kept the fat Steeda washer, and now there's plenty of clearance and no creaking.

Maybe this was an isolated issue on my car, we know the production tolerances on these, especially 2020s, leave a lot to be desired, but just passing this on if you experienced anything similar.

Last edited:

El_steveo

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
I’m also interested in the springs abs swaybar. Wanted to go with h&r but decided I’d like to keep Some more suspension travel. Thanks for the review and pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Can someone explain to me what the various holes on the sway bar do? I get that it's either more firm or less firm. But is the hole furtherest away from the bar the stiffest?

Reactions
Can someone explain to me what the various holes on the sway bar do? I get that it's either more firm or less firm. But is the hole furtherest away from the bar the stiffest?
Furthest away would be softest. Meaning the suspension motion has the most leverage on the sway bar to twist it.
I've played with all three positions, and tracked it in all three positions. I didn't notice any noticeable difference in the old butt dyno. Currently mine is on the middle setting, only because that was the last setting I played with.

Reactions
Thanks That was my thoughts, and I have it on the setting closest to the bar but haven't noticed any major difference.

Reactions
Thanks That was my thoughts, and I have it on the setting closest to the bar but haven't noticed any major difference.
That's opposite of my plan, I was going to back mine to the softest setting. I firmly believe if these were 2wd cars that the firmest setting would be the correct setting, which is what you're doing. Hang with me here, but with them being AWD, the weight transitions quite differently with the front pulling at the same time through a corner. It feels like the inside front on a corner sticks and bites harder since there is power behind it keeping some of that transition to the outside rear reduced. So for me, I want to aid that transition if possible vs. tighten the whole thing up. Maybe counterintuitive, but its what my ass feels at the moment. I also have zero plans to track day this fat cow, I just want to be able to do freeway cloverleafs and ensure people have to peel their faces off the windows on the exit from the apex. LOL

Reactions
I dig it. I think I will try the softest setting and see how that feels.

Thanks again!