Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Steeda tower brace and sway bar. Need advice.

OP
Bryantbjb
Reactions
Thread Starter #21
Quick question. Do you need to lift the wheels off the ground to install the sway bar? I was hoping not to have to. I can move the exhaust no problem. Do the wheels being on ground put pressure on the sway bar? Thanks

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
Quick question. Do you need to lift the wheels off the ground to install the sway bar? I was hoping not to have to. I can move the exhaust no problem. Do the wheels being on ground put pressure on the sway bar? Thanks
You can probably fish it out once the exhaust is lowered and heat shields are removed, but you won't have any room if you don't at least jack it up. The exhaust won't have much room to drop out of your way, do you at lest have some ramps back it up onto?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yeah, it's going to be a miserable experience without jacking the rear and putting it on jackstands.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
to answer your question though, no. there is no pressure on the bar with the car on the ground or on ramps.

OP
Bryantbjb
Reactions
Thread Starter #25
Awesome. Thanks. I have the Borla S type exhaust so I’ll just remove the mufflers, I’ve done that before. And I do have ramps so I have to throw my back out. Sure appreciate the quick responses. It’s my project for tomorrow.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
Awesome. Thanks. I have the Borla S type exhaust so I’ll just remove the mufflers, I’ve done that before. And I do have ramps so I have to throw my back out. Sure appreciate the quick responses. It’s my project for tomorrow.
Cool, let us know how it goes!

OP
Bryantbjb
Reactions
Thread Starter #27
Thanks. Sure will.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Back up on some ramps and you’ll be fine. Zero need for the wheels to be off the ground…the ramps just give you plenty of room to work.

OP
Bryantbjb
Reactions
Thread Starter #29
Awesome. Thanks.

OP
Bryantbjb
Reactions
Thread Starter #30
Here are some action shots. Super easier with the Borla exhaust.

Attachments

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
hmmm, that Steeda bar looks significantly more narrow than stock. I thought Steeda revised the bar to avoid contact with the springs? That looks like it could be problematic with stock and H&R springs.

OP
Bryantbjb
Reactions
Thread Starter #32
No contact with springs, however, it is close. The Steeda bar is much heavier but I did not think about thickness. Did not seem to be skinner.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Keep an eye on it. the bar can shift side to side a little.

OP
Bryantbjb
Reactions
Thread Starter #34
Thanks. Sure will.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The Steeda bar is much heavier but I did not think about thickness. Did not seem to be skinner.
I was not saying it's skinnier. It definitely is thicker. But the overall width ( or some would say length) from end-to-end is shorter than stock. That was the problem with version 1 of the bar as people with H&R or stock springs had contact from the angled ends. I just hope they did not mistakenly go back to the old design.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
His bend looks slightly different than mine. I think he has the revised bar. There really is no reason for the middle and softest settings. I have no idea why they don't just chop those off (I did on mine). Its gives way more room and eliminates any issues with H&R fitment. Plus nobody runs their bar in anything but the stiffest setting.

C35N

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Just installed my strut tower brace and I was surprised at the quality difference between the stock and Steeda. Steeda is much stronger but like everyone else said, probably not needed. However, the look makes it worth changing. I had mine powder coated red to match the calipers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicely done, and it looks great powder coated red!

F=MA

Reactions
Ordered one but since my towers are red I will leave it black.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Ordered one but since my towers are red I will leave it black.
Cool. If your getting the Steeda one, it comes in blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk