Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Steeda Rear Sway Bar

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Which setting? Why?
Much appreciated!

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
How hard are you gonna drive the car? Do you like to hear the tires squeal around curves for miles on end or do you just want a more stable lane change?

OP
J
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Primary wishes: 1) greater stability with high speed lane changes, 2) whipping that thing around a traffic circle like it's formula 1 pushing through a chicane while barely slowing down. I'm exaggerating with #2, but I do like to push through the waggles. I'm impressed with its handling as it is, both on the highway and through the curves. Just want to tighten it up, reduce body roll, increase stability - and given my driving style make it a safer vehicle. When I choose to drive aggressively I probably don't push beyond 85% - where I live, though, opportunities to drive aggressively are limited.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Ours is on the middle hole and I haven't felt the need to move it to the stiffest setting. It really changed the way the truck feels in the mountains.

OP
J
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Ours is on the middle hole and I haven't felt the need to move it to the stiffest setting. It really changed the way the truck feels in the mountains.
Thanks - that's what I will likely do.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
I initially installed mine on the center setting since this is my wife's daily driver. Then I read another members post that he tested all three settings and didn't notice much difference, so this weekend when I install my Steeda Toe Liniks I will move them to the stiffest settings. I'm not expecting a huge improvement but it will make me feel better haha!

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
I initially installed mine on the center setting since this is my wife's daily driver. Then I read another members post that he tested all three settings and didn't notice much difference, so this weekend when I install my Steeda Toe Liniks I will move them to the stiffest settings. I'm not expecting a huge improvement but it will make me feel better haha!
Did you make the adjustments? How does it handle? Do the toe links make any difference?

Reactions
Vehicle
Did you make the adjustments? How does it handle? Do the toe links make any difference?
I installed the Steeda Toe links and they are built really solid, probably not much difference there unless driven hard. But in my mind it felt a little more solid driving around and pulling into parking lots. I didn't switch the sway bar settings yet because I'm getting older and drinking whiskey has taken priority, but I will do that soon as the weather is getting better now.

OP
J
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
I installed the Steeda Toe links and they are built really solid, probably not much difference there unless driven hard. But in my mind it felt a little more solid driving around and pulling into parking lots. I didn't switch the sway bar settings yet because I'm getting older and drinking whiskey has taken priority, but I will do that soon as the weather is getting better now.
Similar priorities... Cheers!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Primary wishes: 1) greater stability with high speed lane changes, 2) whipping that thing around a traffic circle like it's formula 1 pushing through a chicane while barely slowing down. I'm exaggerating with #2, but I do like to push through the waggles. I'm impressed with its handling as it is, both on the highway and through the curves. Just want to tighten it up, reduce body roll, increase stability - and given my driving style make it a safer vehicle. When I choose to drive aggressively I probably don't push beyond 85% - where I live, though, opportunities to drive aggressively are limited.
Ditto. This. I get my sway bar installed tomorrow, and I plan on using the firmer (inner) setting. Good idea? Bad Idea? Too Firm? Too Oversteary?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have mine in the center hole… tried the stiffest setting and it was too much for me. Felt like maxed air shocks (for those old enough to know what those are…) turns were very solid but daily driving was rough.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I have mine in the center hole… tried the stiffest setting and it was too much for me. Felt like maxed air shocks (for those old enough to know what those are…) turns were very solid but daily driving was rough.
Thanks. Sometimes I like to get a little sideways when it's wet (and no one is on the road). Wife hates me for a few minutes, but worth it.
I guess I'll go with center holes to keep it safe, for now.

Other helpful info:
Spent the day sliding around in the rain. As predicted by others, middle setting on the sway bar is best. Paired with Steeda springs, even in the softest setting, the truck immediately felt flatter going around any corner, body roll was essentially gone. Middle setting makes it behave very neutral. Hard setting is for if you like to track the truck. will oversteer READILY but doesn't feel like its going to spin you around. backed off back to middle because 99% of the time i want traction control and AWD to save my butt and not depend on my own driving skills.
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/steeda-lowering-springs.609/#post-7557

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
Ditto. This. I get my sway bar installed tomorrow, and I plan on using the firmer (inner) setting. Good idea? Bad Idea? Too Firm? Too Oversteary?
I initially installed using the center hole, but recently moved it to the stiffest (inner hole) setting and am very happy with it. If I did it again I would only use the stiffest setting, the handling is so much better. Also I'm using H&R springs.

OP
J
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #15
I'm on the center setting and completely happy. Never tried the others

F=MA

Reactions
I think mine may be a test model that I got off Ebay from Steeda directly. Still in the plastic with a chunk of blue paint chipped off. May be a collectors item one way or the other.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I’ve long had mine installed but I want to actually torque it to spec. I made it good-and-tight. How can you torque a pass through socket? I have the harbor freight set

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I’ve long had mine installed but I want to actually torque it to spec. I made it good-and-tight. How can you torque a pass through socket? I have the harbor freight set
I used a crow foot and a long star key inserted into a pipe. If you keep the crow foot at 90 degrees to the torque wrench you don't have to compensate the torque setting.

1700347389215.png

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It’s a swaybar…bang it tight and let it rip.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I used a crow foot and a long star key inserted into a pipe. If you keep the crow foot at 90 degrees to the torque wrench you don't have to compensate the torque setting.

View attachment 20583
Ahhhhh ok the crows foot makes sense! I shall give that a go. Thanks, man!!