Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ST - Storm Trooper Build

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Call me skeptical at 30hp. Is the stock intake really that restrictive?

Reactions
I felt the same way but once installed it jeez this thing gargantuan compared to the stock air box.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I felt the same way but once installed it jeez this thing gargantuan compared to the stock air box.

Good to know. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for improving performance. I'm just tired of the ridiculous claims in the marketing materials. If the intake isn't a limiting factor then I don't see how changing it can make 30hp. If people that have them all seem to report decent increases even it SOTP then I will likely get one. Just don't want to waste over $500 for an insignificant improvement.

Reactions
Good to know. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for improving performance. I'm just tired of the ridiculous claims in the marketing materials. If the intake isn't a limiting factor then I don't see how changing it can make 30hp. If people that have them all seem to report decent increases even it SOTP then I will likely get one. Just don't want to waste over $500 for an insignificant improvement.
I totally understand and im waiting to see how she runs after a recalibration. I put an afe intake on my 2019 raptor and it was basically a direct replacement of the stock, no changes. That's why I was skeptical but this thing is so much bigger and it looks great so why not lol.

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #405
30+ with it tuned and other tweaks. Needs to calibrated for the extra air flow. Stock ECU probably can only do so much learning on its own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #406
I totally understand and im waiting to see how she runs after a recalibration. I put an afe intake on my 2019 raptor and it was basically a direct replacement of the stock, no changes. That's why I was skeptical but this thing is so much bigger and it looks great so why not lol.

With the intake and downpipes the turbos are very noticeable even with a loud exhaust. That’s worth it to me and of course the appearance.

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #407
The splitter was first but changing up the look of the front end a bit. Losing the red ST emblem (black one has been sitting in my tool box for about a year) and adding an extremely well made tow hook (in the USA) by Raceseng.

Drilled out all the holes on the cover and crash bar. Adding a nice grommet for an oem look. Waiting for my M20 2.50 tap bit to show up for the crash bar.

Last edited:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The pressure drop would be roughly proportional to the mass airflow. Just an airbox (or even just remove the filter) will not add 30hp to a stock engine. No way. As far as tuning, a COMPLETELY stock ST with a good tune will add 90+ hp on gasoline. So adding a tune is apples/oranges. Don't think this means I'm opposed to a better air box with less pressure drop, but adding it without any other changes simply cannot change the math and make 30 hp unless your stock air filter was filthy. The butt dyno is incredibly unreliable! If you calculate a 50 degree change in compressor outlet temps (from 100 to 50) at 400hp, you'll end up with 40 hp gain. Lowering that temp is far more indicative of HP gain than a restriction in the filter since it only means to meet the required boost the turbine will have to spin faster- like it would at a higher altitude, and since on a stock ST the wastegates are already opening at 2600rpm or so, there's plenty of extra energy there to deal with a more restrictive airbox.

Last edited:
OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #409
The pressure drop would be roughly proportional to the mass airflow. Just an airbox (or even just remove the filter) will not add 30hp to a stock engine. No way. As far as tuning, a COMPLETELY stock ST with a good tune will add 90+ hp on gasoline. So adding a tune is apples/oranges. Don't think this means I'm opposed to a better air box with less pressure drop, but adding it without any other changes simply cannot change the math and make 30 hp unless your stock air filter was filthy.
Definitely not saying 30 on a completely stock engine. I’m only reporting a conversations via txt with Adam @ZFGracing mentioned needing a revision and I’m currently doing logs. Im not sure what he is tweaking but maybe he can chime in. My last logs reported my ethanol was reading to high so I’ve dialed it down. I wish I had Access to an all-wheel-drive Dyno. Your knowledge is far greater than mine tho.

Last edited:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I have no doubt Adam knows what he's talking about- certainly once you're tuned he can probably tweak some things to net you more hp. All I'm saying is that temps have a much bigger role as you noted in post #400. I would also expect that if the air filter was reducing the pressure drop, this would increase the mass airflow resulting in the ethanol content being adjusted up, not down. But perhaps it's just not being described correctly.

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #411
I have no doubt Adam knows what he's talking about- certainly once you're tuned he can probably tweak some things to net you more hp. All I'm saying is that temps have a much bigger role as you noted in post #400. I would also expect that if the air filter was reducing the pressure drop, this would increase the mass airflow resulting in the ethanol content being adjusted up, not down. But perhaps it's just not being described correctly.
I agree with what you are saying. I hope folks are not expecting 30 with just this intake. Adam is adjusting other factors no doubt.

I’m finding out that my P3 gauge is not reading accurately, E50 on my blends but log reports are suggesting closer to E60 … never was an issue before the intake that I know of

I’ve dialed it down to 45 to see. I’m logging tomorrow.

Reactions
Definitely not saying 30 on a completely stock engine. I’m only reporting a conversations via txt with Adam @ZFGracing mentioned needing a revision and I’m currently doing logs. Im not sure what he is tweaking but maybe he can chime in. My last logs reported my ethanol was reading to high so I’ve dialed it down. I wish I had Access to an all-wheel-drive Dyno. Your knowledge is far greater than mine tho.

LOL, that was you with the high ethanol. I got an email from Adam saying everything looked good, then a text saying the ethanol was too high and I should dial it back. I haven't even loaded my e50 tune yet, so I was a little confused. He replied he had me confused with someone else :)

Reactions
The splitter was first but changing up the look of the front end a bit. Losing the red ST emblem (black one has been sitting in my tool box for about a year) and adding an extremely well made toe hook (in the USA) by Raceseng.

Drilled out all the holes on the cover and crash bar. Adding a nice grommet for an oem look. Waiting for my M20 2.50 tap bit to show up for the crash bar.

where did you order the black st badge from, and is it the same size as oem?

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #414
where did you order the black st badge from, and is it the same size as oem?
To be honest I don’t remember. It’s literally been in my tool bench for about a year. It’s an oem badge painted black. I like hints of red but with adding the red toe hook I switched to black on the emblem.

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #415
Tow hook done

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
Love the tow hook. Which kit did you use? They said you created your own from their parts.
It'll make the rice boys sooooo jealous!

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #417
Love the tow hook. Which kit did you use? They said you created your own from their parts.
It'll make the rice boys sooooo jealous!
Lol . Thanks! I drilled a hole in the crash bar and threaded it with a M20 thread bit to match up to the shaft. Rubber grommet was from autozone.

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #419
Custom made side splitters … 79.75”

ACM material