Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ST Module Software Updates

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Interesting thing came up today during some discussions with Ford about the PIU software updates. As has been mentioned here before lots of complaints about Hybrid PIU Hesitation and lack of acceleration during sudden throttle input. Most if the time this is due to the PIU not having its PCM updated to the latest software calibration that corrects this. So after hearing this I asked to have my ST checked for available module updates.

WTF!!!!! 15 modules need updating PCM, AWD, BCM, DDM, PDM, RGTM, SSCMJ, ABS, GSM, GWM, ACM, DSP, IPC, IPMB, WACM

So I ask my dealership and guess what " We only do module software updates when we have a customer complaint to point us to the issue or Ford wont pay us for our time"

Im fighting with my dealer now but I bet everyone on this forum with a 2020/2021/2022 has updates waiting but dealers wont do it without getting paid.

So Im writing out 15 customer complaints right now.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I’ve gone through quite a few updates. Fortunately I have a subscription to form so I do my own updates. Always stuck between having the latest updates for all the modules and why update the windows if they are working.

Just got an update that a PCM update is available. Since I’m tuned I think I’ll hold off on that one until I hear more details.

Kind of lame that Ford won’t update under warranty unless an issue. It doesn’t take much time and you asked nicely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Sgt1411

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Thread Starter #3
I’ve gone through quite a few updates. Fortunately I have a subscription to form so I do my own updates. Always stuck between having the latest updates for all the modules and why update the windows if they are working.

Just got an update that a PCM update is available. Since I’m tuned I think I’ll hold off on that one until I hear more details.

Kind of lame that Ford won’t update under warranty unless an issue. It doesn’t take much time and you asked nicely

How do you do your own updates?

I asked one of the Engineers if they could dial in to my vehicle if I connected a computer through OBD2 and then he RDP in through Windows. I was told each module has an encryption key thats exchanged so it wont work.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Ford subscription and a Bosch Mastertech II. Connect via laptop.

OP
Sgt1411

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Thread Starter #6
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST 401A Pkg White Met Tri-Coat
Thats a great thread thanks, love to do my own but the gear and software is too expensive....maybe I just pay the dealership an hour of shop time and get them all done.
I tried getting them to do it and they wouldn’t either. So invested in the hardware and software and been doing it myself.

They will only do it if needed as mentioned.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thats a great thread thanks, love to do my own but the gear and software is too expensive....maybe I just pay the dealership an hour of shop time and get them all done.
Just looking at your list, I would guess it would take 2-3 hours to do--but who knows what your dealer will quote you. Being a MY2021, they would also need to check if your front axle hub actuator has an electrical harness to update the AWD module. Sometime in MY2021, they replaced the axle hub actuator with a something without an actuator and called it "intermediate shaft"--no more electrical plug.

Explorer ST Posts