Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

SPD Performance Downpipes

Reactions
"embarrasingly loud"? How do you define embarrasing? On a scale of 1 being "noticeablely loud" and 10 being "pure humiliation", what are we talking?
The answer is a 2-parter:

8 - for the stock Flex Pipe rattle on a cold start. I exercised the FORD TSB fix by Worm Gear clamping them (didn't work because of the high flow cats). They sound like Maracas on Cinco de Mayo.

6 - on the exhaust note because I had the 1st Run of Borla's with the known defects of Fiberglass packing in the resonators being completely gone AND my mufflers have a silicone exhaust ring that separates them from contacting the subframe bolts.

Borla sent me a BNIB S-Type Warranty Replacement and the Thermal Mids are also on their box in my garage.

I'm calling my exhaust system "Frankenstein Downpipe Back System"... Because it's 3 major manufacturers chopped and welded into 1

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

MonkeysWashingCats

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
The answer is a 2-parter:

8 - for the stock Flex Pipe rattle on a cold start. I exercised the FORD TSB fix by Worm Gear clamping them (didn't work because of the high flow cats). They sound like Maracas on Cinco de Mayo.

6 - on the exhaust note because I had the 1st Run of Borla's with the known defects of Fiberglass packing in the resonators being completely gone AND my mufflers have a silicone exhaust ring that separates them from contacting the subframe bolts.

Borla sent me a BNIB S-Type Warranty Replacement and the Thermal Mids are also on their box in my garage.

I'm calling my exhaust system "Frankenstein Downpipe Back System"... Because it's 3 major manufacturers chopped and welded into 1

Oh wow. Huh, now I'm wondering if I got a later manufactured S-type system or one of the early ones like yours. Do you happen to know if there is any identifier or way to tell the difference? That flex pipe rattle sounds pretty universal for people who have taken the plunge. I'm not too keen on that. I wonder if using the Ford TSB fix on an otherwise stock system (save for the borla) will have the same issue. Looks like I'm probably going to find out.

What kind of 3.5'' worm clamp did you use? Are we talking hose clamps or are talking a more like a deeper exhaust clamp?

Last edited:
Reactions
Yup 3.5" (90MM) Worm Gear clamp $1.49 each. (I believe torqued to 27n.m if I remember correctly)

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/liqu...YGacTjx-YZjgr05DLDpDYIeqikFes6BRoCsYEQAvD_BwE

If you had fiberglass spewing out and bedazzling your back hatch for more than a week or 2, it's a known defect and they'll send you out a Resonator Warranty replacement.

I worked with an Engineer (this dude Walt, who was awesome) from October to January going back and forth. From the time I initiated the muffler/subframe bolt contact issue in early October there were 10 more calls that came in.

Walt wasn't having it. He very quickly recognized that Borla's name (because I was sure to let him know) was being dragged through the mud on our platform and that wasn't acceptable to his standards. Borla did the right thing and slightly Re-engineered so now all systems shouldn't have any contact issues.

MonkeysWashingCats

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Yup 3.5" (90MM) Worm Gear clamp $1.49 each. (I believe torqued to 27n.m if I remember correctly)

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/liqu...YGacTjx-YZjgr05DLDpDYIeqikFes6BRoCsYEQAvD_BwE

If you had fiberglass spewing out and bedazzling your back hatch for more than a week or 2, it's a known defect and they'll send you out a Resonator Warranty replacement.

I worked with an Engineer (this dude Walt, who was awesome) from October to January going back and forth. From the time I initiated the muffler/subframe bolt contact issue in early October there were 10 more calls that came in.

Walt wasn't having it. He very quickly recognized that Borla's name (because I was sure to let him know) was being dragged through the mud on our platform and that wasn't acceptable to his standards. Borla did the right thing and slightly Re-engineered so now all systems shouldn't have any contact issues.

Well I can personally vouch that my system did not have any issues with either fiberglass or any rattling. I have had 0 issues with that system. I got the worm gears and the pipes in the mail. I'll put up a video once the work is done. Whipple Intercooler addition is close behind.

Reactions
"embarrasingly loud"? How do you define embarrasing? On a scale of 1 being "noticeablely loud" and 10 being "pure humiliation", what are we talking?
I should have clarified, I'm referring to my stock flex pipes rattle like a box of metal shavings. Not my exhaust setup. I love my FenFab DPs and Borla S-Type!

Reactions

Reactions
Have three worm clamps on each one torques as spec'd. Worked for about 3 days, lol.

MonkeysWashingCats

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I should have clarified, I'm referring to my stock flex pipes rattle like a box of metal shavings. Not my exhaust setup. I love my FenFab DPs and Borla S-Type!
Ohhhhhh o.k. Thanks for clarifying!

10 Gauge

Reactions
UPDATE: new pipe arrived yesterday - overnight shipping was no joke. Everything lined up and installed no further issues.
ATAK exhaust with the downpipes definitely sounds badazz AF! Getting that beautiful snap crackle pop!
93 tune woke it right the F up, no slouch!! Gonna do some pulls later tonight or tomorrow and see where it’s at. SPD Performance - no regrets!!! (y)(y) View attachment 1681
Is it just the camera angle or does the new pipe have a smaller diameter cat on it?!

10 Gauge

Reactions
Any issues with them since you've had them on? I've got a set sitting in my office waiting to go on but my brain has me second guessing the purchasing and wondering if I should go Fenfab instead.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Any issues with them since you've had them on? I've got a set sitting in my office waiting to go on but my brain has me second guessing the purchasing and wondering if I should go Fenfab instead.
Stop letting things you read mess with your head. There’s nothing wrong with SPD at all. I have around 20K miles on mine with zero issues…as do tons of other people.

Reactions
zero issues at all. love em!

Reactions
I'm still waiting for mine to be shipped. Anticipation is killing me lol.

10 Gauge

Reactions
Well, I got a set of the faulty SPD downpipes with the upstream o2 in the wrong spot on the drivers side pipe, of course. Guess I should have gone Fenfab after all. Luckily the shop I am at is equipped to tap and weld a new bung on for me so the job will still get done, but very annoying to have to pay to modify a brand new set of DP's. tempImageWEsmbw.png

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
What doesn’t fit? It looks like you have the sensor in place or is that after the modification?

10 Gauge

Reactions
What doesn’t fit? It looks like you have the sensor in place or is that after the modification?
That's the sensor hitting the engine, I couldn't get a photo of the flange not mating 100% with the sensor also in the photo. This is a pre-mod photo.

Reactions
Well, I got a set of the faulty SPD downpipes with the upstream o2 in the wrong spot on the drivers side pipe, of course. Guess I should have gone Fenfab after all. Luckily the shop I am at is equipped to tap and weld a new bung on for me so the job will still get done, but very annoying to have to pay to modify a brand new set of DP's. View attachment 8006
When did you order them and when did they arrive?
Ron @ Whoosh said mine shipped yesterday as SPD is finally getting open orders out.
Hopefully my set is ok.