Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Spare tire area FULL of water after hard rain.

Reactions
Has anyone had this issue? She’s 3 months old and the new car smell has now turned to a lovely mildew smell. We had a really hard rain yesterday and I noticed it right when I got in the car this morning. Checked all of the floors and in the back and couldn’t find anything. Went around a turn and heard a bunch of water sloshing around. The spare tire area was pretty full. This is very annoying. I specifically didn’t get a sunroof because they always leak at some point. I haven’t been very pleased with this purchase. Too many issues. I seriously would deter someone from purchasing one if they asked me at this point. Very disappointing.

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Unbelievable! Would you inform us once the dealer has seen it?

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Unbelievable! Would you inform us once the dealer has seen it?
I definitely will. So it rained again today. There was another gallon. Still can’t find where it’s coming from. But I drained it and cleaned it all up. When I went around a corner after it was cleaned, I still hear a lot of water sloshing around. I can’t see it anywhere. I’m not happy.

hbalek

Reactions
I definitely will. So it rained again today. There was another gallon. Still can’t find where it’s coming from. But I drained it and cleaned it all up. When I went around a corner after it was cleaned, I still hear a lot of water sloshing around. I can’t see it anywhere. I’m not happy.
I remember reading about this the first year I bought mine during 2020. I periodically check my spare tire area and so far in almost 3 years of ownership, I have had no water leaks. Here are links I found on the 2 forums and the 3 past discussions:

(722) Keep your eye in the spare tire compartment for leaks | Explorer ST Forum

(10) Water Leak | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations (explorerforum.com)

(10) 2020 Ford Explorer Limited water leak | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations (explorerforum.com)

Last edited:
OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I remember reading about this the first year I bought mine during 2020. I periodically check my spare tire area and so far in almost 3 years of ownership, I have had no water leaks. Here are links I found on the 2 forums and the 3 past discussions:

(722) Keep your eye in the spare tire compartment for leaks | Explorer ST Forum

(10) Water Leak | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations (explorerforum.com)

(10) 2020 Ford Explorer Limited water leak | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations (explorerforum.com)
Thank you for this. I did see the top link. My leak is not the same. There is absolutely 0 sign of any water intrusion near the windows etc. Ford has it now and they had 5 people come out to look at it this morning when I dropped it off. I’m suppose to drive 1500 miles north for the next 6 weeks and I’m suppose to leave Wednesday. We will see if I get delayed. Haha. I will report what they find.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Hope it is fixed for you. And that the techs work is better than his spelling.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Damn, and I have my amps in the spare tire well.

Hoping it’s fixed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
hope they take care of that for you. Looks to be right down to the metal.

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
hope they take care of that for you. Looks to be right down to the metal.
It is and they are. But to give me the vehicle back without saying anything really annoyed me.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
That would frustrate the heck out of me and yet somehow I almost expect that when anyone other than myself works on my vehicles. Sad situation.

Explorer22ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
22 Explorer ST
Well, not only is his spelling awful, but they put a chip in the paint right above the tail light. Can’t make this shit up.
That entire experience sounds awful. I think we all sympathize. Hope there is a silver lining (waterproofj in the ordeal.