Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Almost time to replace 21" Pirellis any recommendation?

GHB66

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST with ST Street Pack
My 2020 ST / Street Pack is about to turn 28k. The factory Pirellis (do not have NCS) look to have maybe another 2k miles before needing replacement. I'm a bit disappointed with the tread life on the factory Pirellis. But, I really don't know if any other brand of tire would have lasted longer than the Pirellis.

I'm going with same OEM size and looking for quieter and smoother ride than the Pirellis, and similar roadholding. So far, I've looked at Pirelli's, Yokohama Geolandar, and Michelin Pilot Sport AS. The Pirellis have no tread warranty, Yokohamas have 50K warranty, Michelins have 45k warranty. All are expensive.

Would like to hear your preferences and experiences on replacement tires.

Thanks in advance!

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are amazing. Highly recommend them.

OP
G

GHB66

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
Thanks!

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are amazing. Highly recommend them.
I love mine as well. I’m running 22’s now. Better handling, better traction especially in rain, and similar quietness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Yeah the OEM tires never really get much life. Designed to just be good on test drive lol.

I'm dealing with this right now actually. There are a bunch of threads on this topic. I unfortunately had a bad experience with my Bridgestones and am going to the Michelins's as well.

OP
G

GHB66

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
I have always liked / preferred Michelin tires, but cost and longevity are important considerations. I wound up buying Yokohama Geolandar 275/45 R21 XL's - W speed rated. Bought from Discount Tire (the Yoko's were their top recommendation for my ST) $333 each w/50k warranty vs $459 w/45k warranty for Michelin Pilots. 1k miles on the Yokos so far - much improved ride quality and quieter than the Pirellis. Time will tell.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
My Pirellis have 6/32 left at 38K miles. I think that’s pretty good for a stock tire these days. I’m starting to look for new tires and not sure on any particular brand yet. I’ve read some posts mentioning Lionhart and Lexani tires. Are either of these good in all weather?

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
My Pirellis have 6/32 left at 38K miles. I think that’s pretty good for a stock tire these days. I’m starting to look for new tires and not sure on any particular brand yet. I’ve read some posts mentioning Lionhart and Lexani tires. Are either of these good in all weather?
Tyler Clark and @UNBROKEN swear by them. I am a fan of Michelins so I have had no experience with them but maybe they can chime in.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I have Pirelli scorpions on mine, i prefer Michelin but they still have life to go.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I replaced the original Pirellis with the Scorpion Weatheractive, very satisfied with them thus far.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
yeah their good tires, I just want something a little more all weather

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I run Toyo Proxes and love them. I think the Proxes Sport comes in the stock size.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I tried the Accelera Iota 68's.
So far, so good.
These were on Priority Tire for about 190.00 per.
I went with a 285 45 21 and they fit well on the stock 9 in wheel.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
On my second set of Lionhart LH-Five’s and will buy a 3rd when I wear these out. Don’t let the name or the price fool ya…there’s a reason these tires have such a huge following online. I’d go with a 295/40/21 and fill out that wheel well more. That size tire fits the factory 21 great.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That’s good to know. I had my eye on the LH-FIVE’s but wanted to hear from someone that’s already tried them. Looks like I’ll be ordering a set.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That’s good to know. I had my eye on the LH-FIVE’s but wanted to hear from someone that’s already tried them. Looks like I’ll be ordering a set.
They’re super popular and I don’t think I’ve read a bad review from anyone yet. Just a bunch of people the run and like them and a bunch of people that trash talk them because they’re inexpensive.
I came from a $2700 set of Pirellis that lasted 15K miles…$600 a set and lasts 3X as long is a no brainer. Do they handle like a Pilot Super Sport? No they do not…but they’re very predictable at the limit and work great in the rain.
Come join that China gang! lol

Technically Taiwan but that doesn’t have the same ring to it.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I see a lot of internet jockeys bashing the brand. That said, I don't see anyone who has actually run these tires saying the same things.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I see a lot of internet jockeys bashing the brand. That said, I don't see anyone who has actually run these tires saying the same things.
They’re super popular and I don’t think I’ve read a bad review from anyone yet. Just a bunch of people the run and like them and a bunch of people that trash talk them because they’re inexpensive.
I came from a $2700 set of Pirellis that lasted 15K miles…$600 a set and lasts 3X as long is a no brainer. Do they handle like a Pilot Super Sport? No they do not…but they’re very predictable at the limit and work great in the rain.
Come join that China gang! lol

Technically Taiwan but that doesn’t have the same ring to it.
I’m down to join!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The only concern I have is driving in snow with those tires. I’m in southern NH so it’s not too crazy in the winter but we do get a few good storms that produce several inches of snow. Do you think they will handle decent in snow?

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
The only concern I have is driving in snow with those tires. I’m in southern NH so it’s not too crazy in the winter but we do get a few good storms that produce several inches of snow. Do you think they will handle decent in snow?
Agreed that is my concern also.