Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Single Bolt Subframe on New Vehicles

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
This is a PSA to all who are ordering, have ordered, or will soon buy an ST new.

When you go to pick up your vehicle please look at your subframe and identify it to the dealer. You have 7 days from delivery to the dealer to have them submit a misbuilt vehicle report. Ask that the dealer to get the service department to look at it and review the part vs the engineering drawings. My vehicle came with a single bolt subframe and it is being replaced with a 2 bolt and Ford is covering the replacement. The part on my vehicle was marked with the correct engineering number but only had a single mount location. I cannot stress this enough, do not take delivery of the vehicle until you get confirmation parts are on order.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Wow. Well done on that one. I had heard some 23's having only the single bolt subframe and it would suck if you got one. Hell, I would even cancel the purchase rather than hope Ford would make it right--which they clearly have not for previous 2021-2022s. Kudos to you for getting them to pony up.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
I think the important thing to note is that the part was labeled with the correct part and engineering numbers. This would indicate that the issue isn't because of Ford engineering making a change. The tech indicated the drawing still shows 2 bolt locations for the ST per the drawing number found on the part. I would suggest that there is a supplier issue in terms of QA. The reason for that can be speculated and I won't attempt to do so. In short there is a issue that Ford needs to address with it's supply chain.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Is there any hope for people who already took delivery of their new ST and the 7 days has elapsed?

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
I do not know. Several people have mentioned clunking seems to be
Is there any hope for people who already took delivery of their new ST and the 7 days has elapsed?
Dave I can't say. If you do have issues I would demand they review part numbers and engineering drawings. I have read on here that clunking when shifting into gear is a sign your diff bolt is bent. Outside of that you've got to wait for them to put out another recall.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I think the important thing to note is that the part was labeled with the correct part and engineering numbers. This would indicate that the issue isn't because of Ford engineering making a change. The tech indicated the drawing still shows 2 bolt locations for the ST per the drawing number found on the part. I would suggest that there is a supplier issue in terms of QA. The reason for that can be speculated and I won't attempt to do so. In short there is an issue that Ford needs to address with it's supply chain.
I’m assuming that the part/engineering numbering on the subframe is on a sticker and not stamped into the frame.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I’m still hoping Ford will pay for my new crossmember but as time goes by I don’t thing I will be getting a check

Agree it seems to have been a supply issue starting when they started delivering STs with the one bolt. Also still believe the STs were designed with two and definitely think 2 is better than one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vaeevictiss

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST, 2021 Mustang GT
So how can I check this? We got a 23 st reserved as we couldn't take delivery due to the back up camera issue stop sale. Should the 23s have a 2/4 bolt diff?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder

Vaeevictiss

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Lots of pictures on this site showing the difference between the 3-bolt and 4-bolt setups. Some threads show products that 3 bolt users have added to strengthen the design. There are a couple of pretty good products.

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/safety-recall-22s27-rear-axle-bolt-fractures.3717/page-32 Post 640
Cool thanks. So I'm guessing 1 and 3 bolt and the same thing and 2 and 4 bolt are the same thing? People just call them different names?

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Cool thanks. So I'm guessing 1 and 3 bolt and the same thing and 2 and 4 bolt are the same thing? People just call them different names?
That would be correct.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Im brand new to this. But have to get this out to the entire org.
Ive been all over my dealer to get the defective, wrong 3 bolt subframe out and install the correct one for the 3.0l - the 4 bolt.
Ran across this today.
Send it out, assuming its legit, exactly what Ive been telling my dealer on my wifes 2021 EST:
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2023/ford-explorer-rear-axle-bolt-fractures-cause-lawsuit.shtml

Send it out wide.

MJR
Merton, WI

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Im brand new to this. But have to get this out to the entire org.
Ive been all over my dealer to get the defective, wrong 3 bolt subframe out and install the correct one for the 3.0l - the 4 bolt.
Ran across this today.
Send it out, assuming its legit, exactly what Ive been telling my dealer on my wifes 2021 EST:
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2023/ford-explorer-rear-axle-bolt-fractures-cause-lawsuit.shtml

Send it out wide.

MJR
Merton, WI
That was posted a couple days ago. Not surprised at all but time will tell what happens.

Vaeevictiss

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
So the one we were looking at that we put a reserve on is in fact a 3 bolt. I brought it up to the dealer and being a dealer they are so fucking nonchalant about it. They were like... Well if it becomes a problem or Ford issues a recall then it will be easy to get fixed.

I'm was like... No... You can't sell me the vehicle yet anyway because of the stop sale, I want it fixed now while I don't need it instead of waiting for it to become a problem and then I'm out a vehicle for however long it takes to get repaired.

I sent them a couple of the threads here and some pictures people have posted of their service paperwork showing they got it swapped with the right subframe.

I'm just waiting for them to come back and be like, well if you're just gonna bitch about it we'll just sell to someone who will buy it without questioning it.

Just fucking sick of dealers doing whatever they can to push a sale out the door and be done with you. They actually wanted us to buy the vehicle, ie, do the financing and start paying. I'm like, hell no, I'm not starting a loan on a vehicle I can't even take home. Plus then I'm having to make another car payment because I still need the vehicle I'm trading in.

I'm about done with Ford. Between the issues with the 10 speed trans on my mustang and f150 and now these subframes on the explorers, it's clear they don't care about making anything good anymore.