Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

SCT tuner

OP
Tezz500
Reactions
Thread Starter #41
Why is this? I had my 2017 fusion sport tuned by unleashed using an SCT tuner and, speaking specifically about the transmission I could agree with you (I think it was the 6F55) because the shifting seemed weird when it was tuned. But what has changed on either SCT's end or Ford's end? I understand what you said earlier about SCT not being able to modify all of the necessary parameters, but can you go into more depth on that? I'm genuinely interested in this, I am not doubting what you say.
That’s what I’m getting at... just screaming it’s bad.... doesn’t help.

Does it **** it up on just a mild tune?
Does it **** it up above a certain HP/TQ level?
Does it just not provide enough tuning for the trans to improve performance like how the Trans like to skip gears?
Does it not increase line pressure and that in turn fucks up the trans?
Does it spontaneously combust because SCT hates ford?

Let’s get something in depth.
Let’s hear from some shop owners and experts.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
You’ve already stated you’re not gonna listen to “one person on the internet” so I would encourage both of you to contact some of the major Ford tuning shops and ask their opinion on the matter. I would venture a guess you will change devices afterwards.
Palm Beach Dyno
ZFG Racing
ID Motorsports
OZ Tuning
Lund Racing
....just to name a few.
I’m not gonna spend all day trying to convince you. Your due diligence is a phone call away.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
You’ve already stated you’re not gonna listen to “one person on the internet” so I would encourage both of you to contact some of the major Ford tuning shops and ask their opinion on the matter. I would venture a guess you will change devices afterwards.
Palm Beach Dyno
ZFG Racing
ID Motorsports
OZ Tuning
Lund Racing
....just to name a few.
I’m not gonna spend all day trying to convince you. Your due diligence is a phone call away.
Well hold on now. I simply asked for data, I never argued you were wrong. That sounds like a scapegoat response. I already told you I agreed with you based on my issues with my 2017 fusion sport, so I'm not sure why you're getting defensive with me. I had shifting issues with my fusion, one in which it would shift from 2-3 at around 6500 RPM, then shift back from 3-2 for about .5-1 seconds, then shift back 2-3 again. Your whole response after you walked back your trolling was that you were simply trying to educate. You're given the chance to educate and you won't even do that now. What are you looking for out of your response to this thread? I thought forums were about spreading knowledge, not just trying to prove people wrong.

LokiWolf

Reactions
Your posts is the absolute first time I’m hearing this about the difference between HP/SCT.
He said it many times and I said it at least once. Your reading comprehension is seriously flawed. Go back and actually read.

Let’s just start with the 2 best tuners on this platform alone. ZFG and PBD. All done using HPTuners based devices. ZFG prefers the RTD/MPVI2 hardware because of the logging it can do, and PBD uses the NGuage.

Mostly it is not about the hardware, even though the SCT platform is limited on what it can log. The software is important!

SCT just doesn’t put the development in to unlocking the tables and many of the parameters needed to unlock these more advanced Transmissions. These new Trans now have WAY more lines of code than the Motor. It is crazy.

They are NOT the same company they were 2 decades ago. Not even the same company they were 5 years ago. Did you even know they are now the same basic company as Bully Dog. Both owned by the parent company Derive Systems. Ever since then, they have not been the hardware/software of choice for most Ford Tuning companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Tezz500
Reactions
Thread Starter #45
Palm Beach Dyno
ZFG Racing
ID Motorsports
OZ Tuning
Lund Racing
....just to name a few.
Just a tidbit I’ve found.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-cons-of-hp-tuners-or-sct.121452/post-2537161

Still digging.

LokiWolf

Reactions
OP
Tezz500
Reactions
Thread Starter #47
He said it many times and I said it at least once. Your reading comprehension is seriously flawed. Go back and actually read.

Let’s just start with the 2 best tuners on this platform alone. ZFG and PBD. All done using HPTuners based devices. ZFG prefers the RTD/MPVI2 hardware because of the logging it can do, and PBD uses the NGuage.

Mostly it is not about the hardware, even though the SCT platform is limited on what it can log. The software is important!

SCT just doesn’t put the development in to unlocking the tables and many of the parameters needed to unlock these more advanced Transmissions. These new Trans now have WAY more lines of code than the Motor. It is crazy.

They are NOT the same company they were 2 decades ago. Not even the same company they were 5 years ago. Did you even know they are now the same basic company as Bully Dog. Both owned by the parent company Derive Systems. Ever since then, they have not been the hardware/software of choice for most Ford Tuning companies.

No where did you or unbroken go IN DEPTH about what the SCT CANT do THAT HPtuner CAN DO.

I read just fine.

And honestly I’m not taking advice from a fucking Internet forum where people use a fuckin “DRAGY” to tune their vehicle. That’s the stupidest most irresponsible shit I’ve ever read.

Your track is closed is no reason to risk the lives of innocent people on the road just so you can do 130+mph pulls to log info for your tuner. **** outta here with that bullshit.

You show me where someone had to take their Explorer ST into the shop because the fucking trans exploded from using an SCT.

That’s the claim you jackasses are making and it’s complete bullshit.

Can the HP tuner do MORE? Maybe, IDK. Is it WORTH it for MY goals??? IDK.

What I DO know is I’m not taking your word for it. Your decision making is already flawed in my opinion as mentioned above.

HaHaHa! And we have one of those. Dyno’s mean crap, zero, zilch for daily driving. If it can’t put the power down it is pointless.

On the street for everyday driving a 1/4 mile Track time is also useless. Better than the Dyno, but still mostly useless.

0-60 is where it matters on the street. That is what people who drive on the street are looking for. That is the range that 99% of people will use in these SUV’s.

Logging under street conditions has WAY more benefit than logging on a dyno.

Let’s talk about Dragy...It has proven time and time again do be dead on accurate to track times. The annoyance of going to a Track when I can go rip a couple of runs real quick on the Street. Works just fine, and is dead on accurate, and in most cases gives more environmental data than the actual Track slip. I would love to go to my local Track but it is still closed, and is probably not going to open at all this year.

Unbroken can handle himself, but I will say this, he has A LOT of experience in making things go fast and has some serious builds under his belt. Just check out his build thread on here. He has done some serious testing and trying on things to help this platform.

Now let’s talk about SCT vs HPT. You said this is your wife’s vehicle. Figured you would want a tuning device that can actually see some parameters that should be changed. The HPT can see and change tables that the SCT just can’t. No matter how good the tuner is, the SCT just can’t see the thing to be changed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Oh...your one of “those” guys. Gotcha. Tell ya what...we have tested the Dragy to within .01 in X275 cars...it’s accurate. No, it’s not a phone app. The GPS refresh rate on a phone is 1hz. Dragy is 10hz.
Sorry you don’t wanna hear that SCT cannot properly tune your wife’s transmission and will likely result in premature damage if you tune it beyond a canned tune...but facts are facts.
I’m glad you’re confident in the route you’ve chosen. Please update us as to how it goes...especially the shifting. Don’t take my word for it. Call up anyone that’s tuning these with HP and ask their thoughts....they’ll tell you the same.

It won’t do phenomenal for your 10R60 transmission which it can barely touch. There’s a valid reason everyone is moving to HP Tuners for new Fords. I tried SCT on my blown 2016 F150 and it was almost impossible to live with. Took 2 revisions to make it drive better than stock and it only got better from there with HP.
You may not like the message but the information is valid.

I hope you’re not planning to use the SCT for custom tuning. Those devices are sorely lacking in ability.
It won’t be fast enough with an SCT to matter. LOL

OP
Tezz500
Reactions
Thread Starter #48
MUSTANG! Not an Explorer...

Now that the Mustang has an Auto, and it is quicker you will see less going with SCT.

Oh no no no let’s not walk it back now... your Tag team partner said:

SCT was great on pre-2015 Fords. Anything after is taking a chance.

So we’re just taking info based on if it fits YOUR narrative right??

LokiWolf

Reactions
I can do Multi-quotes too...

It won’t do phenomenal for your 10R60 transmission which it can barely touch. There’s a valid reason everyone is moving to HP Tuners for new Fords. I tried SCT on my blown 2016 F150 and it was almost impossible to live with. Took 2 revisions to make it drive better than stock and it only got better from there with HP.
You may not like the message but the information is valid.
He mentioned the Trans...

Sorry you don’t wanna hear that SCT cannot properly tune your wife’s transmission and will likely result in premature damage if you tune it beyond a canned tune...but facts are facts.
I’m glad you’re confident in the route you’ve chosen. Please update us as to how it goes...especially the shifting. Don’t take my word for it. Call up anyone that’s tuning these with HP and ask their thoughts....they’ll tell you the same.
He mentioned the Trans again...

Now let’s talk about SCT vs HPT. You said this is your wife’s vehicle. Figured you would want a tuning device that can actually see some parameters that should be changed. The HPT can see and change tables that the SCT just can’t. No matter how good the tuner is, the SCT just can’t see the thing to be changed.
I mentioned the Trans...

Sorry I hurt your feelings man...but you’ll live. Your wife’s 10R60 might not...but you will.

My 0-60 runs are done on a 55MPH road. So no difference in my speed than the average person does.
Not 130+ runs! You are just making up crap now. Also to be clear, I do my runs on a deserted road late at night, and I am only risking myself and maybe a deer or 2, let’s be realistic they are over populated in VA.

No where did you or unbroken go IN DEPTH about what the SCT CANT do THAT HPtuner CAN DO.

I read just fine.

And honestly I’m not taking advice from a fucking Internet forum where people use a fuckin “DRAGY” to tune their vehicle. That’s the stupidest most irresponsible shit I’ve ever read.

Your track is closed is no reason to risk the lives of innocent people on the road just so you can do 130+mph pulls to log info for your tuner. **** outta here with that bullshit.

You show me where someone had to take their Explorer ST into the shop because the fucking trans exploded from using an SCT.

That’s the claim you jackasses are making and it’s complete bullshit.

Can the HP tuner do MORE? Maybe, IDK. Is it WORTH it for MY goals??? IDK.

What I DO know is I’m not taking your word for it. Your decision making is already flawed in my opinion as mentioned above.
Have fun. We tried to lead you down the right path for tuning on these Explorers but you are all set. Enjoy. I look forward to your numbers.

OP
Tezz500
Reactions
Thread Starter #50
I can do Multi-quotes too...

He mentioned the Trans...

I mentioned the Trans...

Not 130+ runs! You are just making up crap now. Also to be clear, I do my runs on a deserted road late at night, and I am only risking myself and maybe a deer or 2, let’s be realistic they are over populated in VA.

Have fun. We tried to lead you down the right path for tuning on these Explorers but you are all set. Enjoy. I look forward to your numbers.

MENTIONED the ENTIRE TRANSMISSION.

Now quote where the **** he says WHY it’s going to DESTROY THE TRANS ON A MILD TUNE. WHAT SPECIFIC PARAMETERS ARE GOING TO CAUSE THE TRANS TO MALFUNCTION USING THE SCT.

As for your felony tuning runs, you cannot predict when someone is going to come out. If you’re doing 1/4 mile runs on the Street it’s going to be over 110+mph.

Plain and simple. Let’s hope you don’t kill someone’s kid so you can get that spark table JUST right...

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Y’all can have this one....I tried. lol

LokiWolf

Reactions
MENTIONED the ENTIRE TRANSMISSION.

Now quote where the **** he says WHY it’s going to DESTROY THE TRANS ON A MILD TUNE. WHAT SPECIFIC PARAMETERS ARE GOING TO CAUSE THE TRANS TO MALFUNCTION USING THE SCT.

As for your felony tuning runs, you cannot predict when someone is going to come out. If you’re doing 1/4 mile runs on the Street it’s going to be over 110+mph.

Plain and simple. Let’s hope you don’t kill someone’s kid so you can get that spark table JUST right...
Man you are DENSE!

0-60! I know it’s hard to read. Deserted, divided 55MPH Speed limit road. ZERO Cars.

Even if it was a 1/4...not 130+ that you keep throwing out there.

Talk to a tuner...seriously. Any of the ones mentioned above.

Bottom line...If you want to tune the Explorer properly regardless of who is doing it or power level, you need to use HPTuners VCM Suite.

Bottom line...Stock these things are having transmission issues. Tuning the transmission is important. Adding power without adjusting the transmission will cause trouble.

OP
Tezz500
Reactions
Thread Starter #53
Man you are DENSE!

0-60! I know it’s hard to read. Deserted, divided 55MPH Speed limit road. ZERO Cars.

Even if it was a 1/4...not 130+ that you keep throwing out there.

Talk to a tuner...seriously. Any of the ones mentioned above.

Bottom line...If you want to tune the Explorer properly regardless of who is doing it or power level, you need to use HPTuners VCM Suite.

Bottom line...Stock these things are having transmission issues. Tuning the transmission is important. Adding power without adjusting the transmission will cause trouble.

I’m asking for proof, you’re not providing said proof... you mean to tell me you can’t find one swinging dick on this forum that’s had to drag their Explorer ST to the dealer and have the trans replaced?

You don’t have one member here that can attest to that??

“Trust but verify.” Ever heard of that? All I’m asking for is someone NOT invested in selling me a fucking HPtuner to say “yes. I had issues, here’s exactly what happened, this is what the dealership said...” etc...

No ones doing that... you just troll the fucking post right out the gate and then get pissy when I ask for evidence.

LokiWolf

Reactions
I’m asking for proof, you’re not providing said proof... you mean to tell me you can’t find one swinging dick on this forum that’s had to drag their Explorer ST to the dealer and have the trans replaced?

You don’t have one member here that can attest to that??

“Trust but verify.” Ever heard of that? All I’m asking for is someone NOT invested in selling me a fucking HPtuner to say “yes. I had issues, here’s exactly what happened, this is what the dealership said...” etc...

No ones doing that... you just troll the fucking post right out the gate and then get pissy when I ask for evidence.
I do not sell ANYTHING, just like you, been around tuning for 20+ years.

Gas, then Diesel(PSD & TDI), and now for the past 5 years EcoBoosts. My Explorer is the 5th one I’ve owned. Actually own 2 right now. My wife’s DD is a 2020 Expedition. Also tuned.

Again, go do a Google search or FB search in one of the Explorer ST groups. Search transmission issues. Those issues are on mostly Stock, no tune ST’s. Some have just had parts replaced, some the while Trans was swapped out.

My evidence is talking to a FN Tuner that does this for a living...any of the most respected on the EB platform. ZERO of them will tell you the SCT platform is better.

Honestly the only people not using a HPT based device(RTD, MPVI2, NGuage) on here that I know of are tuned by LMS, and they have their own MyCalibrator tuner. Also terrible logging available. How do I know...cause I own one. I like trying different things, plus I started with their older tuner on my 16 Edge Sport.

Reactions
Lund, PBD, mostly went away from the SCT gear due to people taking their tunes from the SCT and ripping them with HP tuners and using the data as their own.
They can lock their shit down with HP tuners.

I am using the canned 91 tune for the X4 and it dropped my 0-60 time by 6/10ths of a second using my dragy.

I get it, the HP results so far have been very good but for those of us with a spare X4 on the shelf, why not give it a go and see if you get what you want?

OP
Tezz500
Reactions
Thread Starter #56
Lund, PBD, mostly went away from the SCT gear due to people taking their tunes from the SCT and ripping them with HP tuners and using the data as their own.
They can lock their shit down with HP tuners.

I am using the canned 91 tune for the X4 and it dropped my 0-60 time by 6/10ths of a second using my dragy.

I get it, the HP results so far have been very good but for those of us with a spare X4 on the shelf, why not give it a go and see if you get what you want?
Just loaded the SCT canned tune.

Wow... Butt Dyno is VERY happy.

I’m excited to get this thing on the Dyno and see the hard numbers.

FYI , shifts great.. Trans hasn’t exploded...

YET

DaveFred

Reactions
Three pages of shit talking and the dude hasn't even hit the Dyno yet.

Am I the only one who is actually interested in the Data and not the back and forth?

OP
Tezz500
Reactions
Thread Starter #58
Three pages of shit talking and the dude hasn't even hit the Dyno yet.

Am I the only one who is actually interested in the Data and not the back and forth?