Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

SCT tuner

Reactions
Just ordered one up, we’ve got an AWD Dyno down the road, I’ll let you know how things go once I load the tune and strap it to the Dyno. The only other mods accompanying it will be KN drop in filter and JLT oil Sep.

So we should get a good stock vs tuned baseline.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
...or just get a Dragy.

OP
Tezz500
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
...or just get a Dragy.
Nah. I prefer a Dyno and 1/4 Mile track. I’m not interested in doing 4th gear pulls in”Mexico.”

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It won’t be fast enough with an SCT to matter. LOL

OP
Tezz500
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
It won’t be fast enough with an SCT to matter. LOL
I’ve got a local shop with an AWD Dyno. Going to do a Stock Run, SCT “Canned” Run and Custom Tune for comparison.

So, despite your trolling, You’re Welcome for the coming info.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I hope you’re not planning to use the SCT for custom tuning. Those devices are sorely lacking in ability.

OP
Tezz500
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I hope you’re not planning to use the SCT for custom tuning. Those devices are sorely lacking in ability.
Seems to do phenomenal for my Shelby GT500.

Anyways, I’ll post the numbers once we get them.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Seems to do phenomenal for my Shelby GT500.

Anyways, I’ll post the numbers once we get them.
It won’t do phenomenal for your 10R60 transmission which it can barely touch. There’s a valid reason everyone is moving to HP Tuners for new Fords. I tried SCT on my blown 2016 F150 and it was almost impossible to live with. Took 2 revisions to make it drive better than stock and it only got better from there with HP.
You may not like the message but the information is valid.

OP
Tezz500
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
It won’t do phenomenal for your 10R60 transmission which it can barely touch. There’s a valid reason everyone is moving to HP Tuners for new Fords. I tried SCT on my blown 2016 F150 and it was almost impossible to live with. Took 2 revisions to make it drive better than stock and it only got better from there with HP.
You may not like the message but the information is valid.
It’s not about the message, it’s about you not understand what I’m looking for in a tune.

This is my Wife’s vehicle.

The tune and an air filter are the only mods happening. I am extremely confident the SCT will do EXACTLY what I want.

You’re needs maybe different. I know what mine are and I’m supremely confident in the route I’ve chose.

Besides, if it does or doesn’t work, the forum and the members get hard factual evidence of Dyno Numbers and Track times verses whatever the hell Ive seen you post... what is that... some sort of iPhone app? A juiced up “GTech?”

Blowing down the back roads measuring 0-60s? Come on man... let’s see some time slips and Dyno sheets...

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It’s not about the message, it’s about you not understand what I’m looking for in a tune.

The tune and an air filter are the only mods happening. I am extremely confident the SCT will do EXACTLY what I want.

You’re needs maybe different. I know what mine are and I’m supremely confident in the route I’ve chose.

Besides, if it does or doesn’t work, the forum and the members get hard factual evidence of Dyno Numbers and Track times verses whatever the hell Ive seen you post... what is that... some sort of iPhone app? A juiced up “GTech?”

Blowing down the back roads measuring 0-60s? Come on man... let’s see some time slips and Dyno sheets...
Oh...your one of “those” guys. Gotcha. Tell ya what...we have tested the Dragy to within .01 in X275 cars...it’s accurate. No, it’s not a phone app. The GPS refresh rate on a phone is 1hz. Dragy is 10hz.
Sorry you don’t wanna hear that SCT cannot properly tune your wife’s transmission and will likely result in premature damage if you tune it beyond a canned tune...but facts are facts.
I’m glad you’re confident in the route you’ve chosen. Please update us as to how it goes...especially the shifting. Don’t take my word for it. Call up anyone that’s tuning these with HP and ask their thoughts....they’ll tell you the same.

OP
Tezz500
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
Oh...your one of “those” guys. Gotcha. Tell ya what...we have tested the Dragy to within .01 in X275 cars...it’s accurate. No, it’s not a phone app. The GPS refresh rate on a phone is 1hz. Dragy is 10hz.
Sorry you don’t wanna hear that SCT cannot properly tune your wife’s transmission and will likely result in premature damage if you tune it beyond a canned tune...but facts are facts.
I’m glad you’re confident in the route you’ve chosen. Please update us as to how it goes...especially the shifting. Don’t take my word for it. Call up anyone that’s tuning these with HP and ask their thoughts....they’ll tell you the same.
Yes, I’m one of those guys that prefers factual hard evidence and real world results (Dyno Sheet, 1/4 mile Time Slip) in a safe controlled environment over some Boeing 737 blackbox contraption while performing illegal 130+mph pulls on public roads. (Multiple felonies in Virginia btw.)

I will absolutely update the forum on how it goes with a full and honest review.

Some will appreciate that, others (Trolls) will certainly have their two cents to slap on... something along the lines of

“iT wOnT bE fAst ENoUgH wItH tHe ScT ANyWaY. LULZ.”

LokiWolf

Reactions

HaHaHa! And we have one of those. Dyno’s mean crap, zero, zilch for daily driving. If it can’t put the power down it is pointless.

On the street for everyday driving a 1/4 mile Track time is also useless. Better than the Dyno, but still mostly useless.

0-60 is where it matters on the street. That is what people who drive on the street are looking for. That is the range that 99% of people will use in these SUV’s.

Logging under street conditions has WAY more benefit than logging on a dyno.

Let’s talk about Dragy...It has proven time and time again do be dead on accurate to track times. The annoyance of going to a Track when I can go rip a couple of runs real quick on the Street. Works just fine, and is dead on accurate, and in most cases gives more environmental data than the actual Track slip. I would love to go to my local Track but it is still closed, and is probably not going to open at all this year.

Unbroken can handle himself, but I will say this, he has A LOT of experience in making things go fast and has some serious builds under his belt. Just check out his build thread on here. He has done some serious testing and trying on things to help this platform.

Now let’s talk about SCT vs HPT. You said this is your wife’s vehicle. Figured you would want a tuning device that can actually see some parameters that should be changed. The HPT can see and change tables that the SCT just can’t. No matter how good the tuner is, the SCT just can’t see the thing to be changed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Tezz500
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
HaHaHa! And we have one of those. Dyno’s mean crap, zero, zilch for daily driving. If it can’t put the power down it is pointless.

On the street for everyday driving a 1/4 mile Track time is also useless. Better than the Dyno, but still mostly useless.

0-60 is where it matters on the street. That is what people who drive on the street are looking for. That is the range that 99% of people will use in these SUV’s.

Logging under street conditions has WAY more benefit than logging on a dyno.

Let’s talk about Dragy...It has proven time and time again do be dead on accurate to track times. The annoyance of going to a Track when I can go rip a couple of runs real quick on the Street. Works just fine, and is dead on accurate, and in most cases gives more environmental data than the actual Track slip. I would love to go to my local Track but it is still closed, and is probably not going to open at all this year.

Unbroken can handle himself, but I will say this, he has A LOT of experience in making things go fast and has some serious builds under his belt. Just check out his build thread on here. He has done some serious testing and trying on things to help this platform.

Now let’s talk about SCT vs HPT. You said this is your wife’s vehicle. Figured you would want a tuning device that can actually see some parameters that should be changed. The HPT can see and change tables that the SCT just can’t. No matter how good the tuner is, the SCT just can’t see the thing to be changed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
First,

Let’s talk about committing multiple felonies on public Virginia roads instead of doing your testing and tuning in a controlled environment such as a drag strip or at a performance shop.

Let’s just focus on that factor. We will eat this elephant one bite at a time.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’ve worked with some of the best tuners in the world over the years...from Eric Eldreth and Matt Alderman with SCT based tuning...both have now moved to HPT, Ken Osborne and Adam Staszak On HPT and many others over the years for street stuff. I used to work on tuning via Big Stuff 3 on X275 and Turbo Pro Mod cars for dedicated track stuff with my good friend Chase Driskell who heads up ProLines tuning division now. I think I have a pretty good handle on what works and what doesn’t....at least enough to try to tell a guy that can’t take a joke that he should reconsider his purchase and pick something more competent to tune with. Sorry I hurt your feelings man...but you’ll live. Your wife’s 10R60 might not...but you will.

LokiWolf

Reactions
First,

Let’s talk about committing multiple felonies on public Virginia roads instead of doing your testing and tuning in a controlled environment such as a drag strip or at a performance shop.

Do you speed?

My 0-60 runs are done on a 55MPH road. So no difference in my speed than the average person does.

So in that GT500 you have never done triple digits on a public road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
First,

We have some 85 mph speed limits and can take defensive driving to dismiss a ticket for up to 25mph over...so that elephant doesn’t hunt in Texas. lol
When I really wanna tear into it I run at night with some cop buddies help. It pays to know people. lol

OP
Tezz500
Reactions
Thread Starter #17
I’ve worked with some of the best tuners in the world over the years...from Eric Eldreth and Matt Alderman with SCT based tuning...both have now moved to HPT, Ken Osborne and Adam Staszak On HPT and many others over the years for street stuff. I used to work on tuning via Big Stuff 3 on X275 and Turbo Pro Mod cars for dedicated track stuff with my good friend Chase Driskell who heads up ProLines tuning division now. I think I have a pretty good handle on what works and what doesn’t....at least enough to try to tell a guy that can’t take a joke that he should reconsider his purchase and pick something more competent to tune with. Sorry I hurt your feelings man...but you’ll live. Your wife’s 10R60 might not...but you will.
Wait wait wait... I can’t take a joke?

You’re getting all fired up about me dismantling your bullshit argument after trolling a post that was meant to be informative and now you’re claiming I can’t take a joke? That’s rich...

Now, let’s get back to your illegal FELONY 130+mph runs on public American streets to test your little dragy tuner...

I and law enforcement are extremely interested in that information.

OP
Tezz500
Reactions
Thread Starter #18
We have some 85 mph speed limits and can take defensive driving to dismiss a ticket for up to 25mph over...so that elephant doesn’t hunt in Texas. lol
When I really wanna tear into it I run at night with some cop buddies help. It pays to know people. lol
Ohhhhh NOW we got law enforcement officer aiding and abetting felony behavior. interesting.

So again, this goes to the heart of the discussion we are now having where You ASSUMED everyone wants YOUR set up, has YOUR connections to perform Felonies on public highways while endangering the lives of innocent people...

I just wanted to give the Wife’s Grocery getter a little more ummphh...

I mean we all got different goals...

OP
Tezz500
Reactions
Thread Starter #19
Do you speed?

My 0-60 runs are done on a 55MPH road. So no difference in my speed than the average person does.

So in that GT500 you have never done triple digits on a public road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Of course not. I am a stand up pillar of the community.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Actually we run TX2K down here and I’ve seen 225 on I-45 between Houston and Dallas. Do you really think there’s a single cop on the planet that gives a damn about an internet post with no evidence attached? You’re hilarious. I’m glad you joined.