Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

dotmaurer

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I had the bolt recall done this week. Immediately after I picked it up I now have a clicking noise when I make a right turn. Is this a coincidence or could this be from the bolt replacement?

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I have still been putting this recall off. I should probably get it done but you know, when there's no active issues, hard to justify taking it in.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have still been putting this recall off. I should probably get it done but you know, when there's no active issues, hard to justify taking it in.
This thread is proof it pays to wait. Let your dealer get a few under their belt so that there is less chance for mess ups.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
This thread is proof it pays to wait. Let your dealer get a few under their belt so that there is less chance for mess ups.
Yeah very true

Reactions
I had the recalls performed last week. Camera one day, the rear bolt/bushing the next day.
Dealer picked up the ST and delivered it back to me both days (I have blue status with points).
No more camera or sensor errors when backing. Don't hear the click from the rear when shifting between D and R anymore. Dealer charged Ford $680 for the rear warranty fix (I saw that invoice).
I've got 25k left on warranty, so will probably buy a brace for long term durability.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I had the recall done about 8 weeks ago. Where they change the programming for the auto brake so that you don't stress the rear end shifting from reverse to drive. The car is so darn hurky jerky now when you navigate the drive way or parking lots. It's pretty annoying. I'm surprised it is so terrible.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Just picked my car for the dealer this afternoon. They did both the rear camera and diff bolt recalls within five hours. Seems fine so far but I’m still putting the Steeda diff brace back on.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just picked my car for the dealer this afternoon. They did both the rear camera and diff bolt recalls within five hours. Seems fine so far but I’m still putting the Steeda diff brace back on.
That is just like buying insurance. You hope you never need it, but if you do your glad you do.
Good choice.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Had the recall done a few weeks ago. Took the ST on a road trip this Friday. Got it back home and found this along with a puddle of fluid under the vehicle in the morning.

IMG_2308.jpeg

Going back in to have them correct it on Monday. Sigh….

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That sucks. Nothing like waking up to a puddle of fluid under your car. Hopefully they get it right this time.

hbalek

Reactions
Had the recall done a few weeks ago. Took the ST on a road trip this Friday. Got it back home and found this along with a puddle of fluid under the vehicle in the morning.

View attachment 23418

Going back in to have them correct it on Monday. Sigh….
My 2020 with 51K miles is having the differential replaced this week under powertrain warranty. Mine was driving really poorly last few weeks. I did not see any oil leaks in my driveway.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Well, scheduled my bolt warranty repair. Discussed with dealer and they said they have done a ton now and slowly phasing out the need to do the recall. He said they will inspect the rear and either just replace the bolt and bushing or whole the subframe if any big concerns.

I plan to cover my obd2 port with tape and paper saying Do Not Flash. I have my FP tune on board and don’t want them touching it.

I requested them to check the transmission fluid level as well why it’s up.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I plan to cover my obd2 port with tape and paper saying Do Not Flash. I have my FP tune on board and don’t want them touching it.
With the tune being Ford Performance, they should be able to put it back if they screw it up - after all it is a Ford Tune.

Last edited:

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
With the tune being Ford Performance, they should be able to put it back if they screw it up - after all it is a Ford Tune.
Eh they couldn’t even do my initial install of it. They referred me to other dealers. I’m sure the technician could do it. It’s probably just the service advisors that I dealt with. Had no idea. I’ll probably put the note on the OBD port and also let the advisor know like I got this tune on there don’t flash it otherwise you guys are gonna have to redo the tune.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Eh they couldn’t even do my initial install of it. They referred me to other dealers. I’m sure the technician could do it. It’s probably just the service advisors that I dealt with. Had no idea. I’ll probably put the note on the OBD port and also let the advisor know like I got this tune on there don’t flash it otherwise you guys are gonna have to redo the tune.
You're surrounded ...

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Got word back from the dealer that the gasket on the differential failed. Asked if they had needed to remove or replace the differential cover during the recall and was told no. So they’re at a loss for why it failed but that it did. I think that cover had been removed and the technician either left the old gasket in place or replaced it but in either case didn’t torque the bolts to spec and they’re just not owning up to it. I’ll get the vehicle back in a couple of days and the first thing after checking for any weeps will be to check the bolts to make sure they are at the proper torque.

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
Got word back from the dealer that the gasket on the differential failed. Asked if they had needed to remove or replace the differential cover during the recall and was told no. So they’re at a loss for why it failed but that it did. I think that cover had been removed and the technician either left the old gasket in place or replaced it but in either case didn’t torque the bolts to spec and they’re just not owning up to it. I’ll get the vehicle back in a couple of days and the first thing after checking for any weeps will be to check the bolts to make sure they are at the proper torque.
Thats odd. I have my old differential cover in the trunk, because the had to replace it when doing the recall!

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thats odd. I have my old differential cover in the trunk, because the had to replace it when doing the recall!
If I remember reading the procedure correctly, they’re supposed to inspect the cover/bolt hole area and replace cover if damaged at all.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Newbie here,my first post. Just got my CPO ST from my Ford dealer and I have a question about what they do to correct this. Do they add another bolt so there are two when you look from the rear or do they just replace the one bolt? They gave me certification that it was done, but I’m only seeing one bolt. So I’m confused.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Welcome to the forum.