Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

Reactions
What will this PCM update do to anyone who have tuned their cars?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
If you look at the dates, of post #11, every single explorer ever built falls under that recall. So yes, my 2020 with two bolt falls under recall.
Not necessarily. They know exactly which vehicles are affected. I know I haven't gotten a recall notice. Maybe this includes the 4 bangers with the 3 bolt.

As has happened before, just because your car falls in the build range doesnt mean its affected.

Last edited:
Reactions
Interesting. Very interesting.

Mine is sitting at the dealer, just about ready to pick-up (superficial delivery damage being fixed). Loaded sans moonroof. I'm going to contact the dealer...

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I wonder if they are going to can the ST SUV Experience due to the safety recall until their fleet can be fixed?
Maybe having the rear end fall out of the vehicle during stressful driving is part of the "ST Driving Experience"?

Nope!

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
What will this PCM update do to anyone who have tuned their cars?
I had my PCM updated about a year after ownership since my Explorer was an early build. I was tuned but made sure to return to stock. The updated PCM firmware resulted in a change in strategy code and you cannot just reload your tune. Thankfully, I had Livernois and their customer service is very good. They sent me new tune files for the new strategy code. Did not even need to send them the stock tune.

I have no idea what it would mean if you had a custom tune. Would you have to re-tune the car with the updated PCM? I would think so. Would it be free or would you have to purchase another tune?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST

MrHoward

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
What genius/fool told them that a single off-centered bolt could withstand the stress that was originally designed to be shared between 2 equidistant off-centered bolts? Was Ford short of bolts or did they just say the hell with safety. Plus the vehicles are unsafe to be sold but it’s ok for us to continue driving the ones already on the road…. SmDH

MrHoward

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Mine is April 20, 2022
Your is not included in the recall. So you can get delivery on time… congrats

MrHoward

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
If you look at the dates, of post #11, every single explorer ever built falls under that recall. So yes, my 2020 with two bolt falls under recall.
not necessarily

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Mine is April 20, 2022
As MrHoward said, yours is good to go. Unfortunately, mine isn't.

What genius/fool told them that a single off-centered bolt could withstand the stress that was originally designed to be shared between 2 equidistant off-centered bolts?
Probably the same guy who said "We can fix this with a pcm update."

Drew_Will

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Your is not included in the recall. So you can get delivery on time… congrats
It was built March 8th. I read it wrong ‍♂️

Reactions
So even with two bolts the recall is still valid I assume?

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I don't know about you guys, but this is all very confusing.:unsure:

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I don't know about you guys, but this is all very confusing.:unsure:
Probably because Ford hasn't really decided on the final fix IMO. If I were Ford, I would try to fix it as cheaply as possible. If there was a heat treating mistake in the bolt and a heat treated bolt actually solves the problem then I would expect them to stop. I don't think this issue will be resolved for a while. My guess is they will try a cheaper fix and it won't work and they may end up upping the mechanical repairs. But of course I know nothing about what Ford is actually thinking.

They designed it with two bolts initially for a reason.

Drew_Will

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
So even with two bolts the recall is still valid I assume?
This is mine sitting at the dealer. I got delivered Monday.

Attachments

BenH

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
You have no idea. Don’t even get me started on how I feel
I know exactly how you feel. I attempted to pick mine up on Monday (4/18), but an April snowstorm in Central PA forced me to turn around about 25 miles from the dealer. Decided to wait until sunny weather on Wednesday to make the 90 mile trip instead of driving in the rain to pick it up Tuesday...