Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Right side rattle at highway speeds

Nine29

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Had the same issue with my 2021 ST. I used hot glue to secure the underbody panels to the studs. Worked well so far...

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Had the same issue with my 2021 ST. I used hot glue to secure the underbody panels to the studs. Worked well so far...
This may sound dumb but can I see what you did as I’m planning to do that to mine this weekend and that sounds a lot easier to do.

Jp1525

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Had the same issue on the right side….rattle/clicking at highway speeds and worse driving into the wind. Had to different Ford dealers look at it with no results. Thank goodness for this forum! Thanks to the responses I found that the felt cover on the under body of the car has a loose connection right under the driver’s side post between the driver’s door and the passenger door. Remove the cheap plastic connector and replaced with (I believe) a 7mm coarse threaded nut and a large washer. There is no noise now! We were very close to trading it in for another vehicle.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
M6 nut and fender washer (stainless). I'd replace them all, even if they seem intact because they'll all lose their grip eventually

BDP'sST

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
yeah good news, so it looks like they fixed it. So it would seem it was one or more of the underbody panels needed to be tightened or fasteners replaced, 'adjusted'. I didn't get too much detail but it appears resolved.

The remaining item I have is the rear door sunshades are still rattling around, they have an open request or something with Ford about it, but I didn't want it to sit at the dealer while / if there is a fix provided.
What dealer in No. VA did you go to? I am taking my 2021 in for the same issue but at Jerry’s Leesburg Ford. Hoping they’ve run into this sort of thing before.

cmauro9

Reactions
I just crawled under mine, and they are both loose and the left side more so than the right. I know they serve a purpose, but has anybody just removed those panels? Overtime they’re going to wear out because they’re essentially carpet.

BDP'sST

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I’m not totally sure what these panels are really for. Sound deadening? Anyway, the dealer finally traced the source of the rattle to the fasteners on this panel. They replaced the entire piece and fasteners under warranty. So, far so good and no rattles.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Same happened to me. It’s the under panel which is slightly loose.

BDP'sST

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Yep, the Ford tech who did the warranty work was pretty adamant that the fasteners that hold the panel in are the real culprit as opposed to the panel itself.

Jackiec

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer 2023 ST
Has anyone else experienced a right side rattle at highway speeds? I can be on a very smooth road and still hear it. I thought it might be related to wind noise since it doesn't occur at lower speeds, even on a rough road. Tried folding in the mirrors to see if that made any difference in the wind direction but still heard it.

Thanks.
Did you ever figure out what this was…. I had a 2021explorer and it rattled on both sides… they couldn’t find the rattle… traded it in… now my 2023 right side is doing it..

Ormsby11

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
M6 nut and fender washer (stainless). I'd replace them all, even if they seem intact because they'll all lose their grip eventually
Do you know how many nuts it takes? I just looked at my car and looks like there are several. Did you have to pull the felt completely off to get all the plastic clips off? Also, did you replace the circle plastic clips as well?

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Try just tightening up all the nuts. On mine that fixed it. A couple were really loose, most just needed to be snugged.

There are 6-8 of the plastic nuts all together. A bit hard to remove but can be done with a combination of pry tool and unscrewing. No need to remove the whole panel.

FYI, there is another thread about this somewhere around here.

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
Has anyone else experienced a right side rattle at highway speeds? I can be on a very smooth road and still hear it. I thought it might be related to wind noise since it doesn't occur at lower speeds, even on a rough road. Tried folding in the mirrors to see if that made any difference in the wind direction but still heard it.
I have this also seems to be from window or seat belt cover. Will also need to check the underbody

hbalek

Reactions
I have this also seems to be from window or seat belt cover. Will also need to check the underbody
Mine just started recently on the passenger side over bumps and high speeds over 45 MPH, it is high pitched like a squeaking or whistling. The left side has more of a rattle which is probaably the underbody cover.

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
Mine is more of a light tapping sound. It's not squeaking or whistling

Luckst2046

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2022, Ford, Explorer, ST
I fixed my rattle by tightening and replacing some nuts on the right side undercarriage cover.