Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Right side rattle at highway speeds

Reactions
Has anyone else experienced a right side rattle at highway speeds? I can be on a very smooth road and still hear it. I thought it might be related to wind noise since it doesn't occur at lower speeds, even on a rough road. Tried folding in the mirrors to see if that made any difference in the wind direction but still heard it.

Thanks.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
yes, have the same issue. bringing into dealer Monday. both sides here. apparently a known issue.

Reactions
Never had an issue here since Feb '20

I'd like to know if this is just on the newer models coming out or a known issues since production.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'll find out Monday...

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Update - still with dealer. They texted today and asked for more details, which I provided.

Last time they (allegedly) replaced LB5Z 7827406 DD on both doors, but it actually made the issue worse on the driver side rear door, which is why I brought it back in. I'm not 100% convinced any parts were changed, however..

Griffin

Reactions
Has anyone else experienced a right side rattle at highway speeds? I can be on a very smooth road and still hear it. I thought it might be related to wind noise since it doesn't occur at lower speeds, even on a rough road. Tried folding in the mirrors to see if that made any difference in the wind direction but still heard it.

Thanks.
Yep. But mine left side. Sounds like it is in the pilar. Had all seatbelt parts replaced, no go. Though maybe outer molding cause of wind, nope. Pretty much at the end of my rope with this vehicle. Had it since Aug 2019. Now have 35000 miles. Since 3000 miles, have never had a day when something wasn't wrong with it. Just poor quality. Right now, I have that horrible high speed rattling noise and for months my transfer case has been leaking.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Mine is left side also. Highway speeds and sounds like it's coming from the B-pillar. I was going to remove the trim some day and see what I can see. I never paid much attention to it until I took an 11 hour road trip the the beach.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I wonder if it could it be some cabling or similar slapping around in the door panel? I think the interior panel is pretty easy to remove. If dealer returns it with no repair I'm going to try looking around in there... it is hard to trace b/c it is intermittent, and someone has to be driving :)

Griffin

Reactions
Mine is left side also. Highway speeds and sounds like it's coming from the B-pillar. I was going to remove the trim some day and see what I can see. I never paid much attention to it until I took an 11 hour road trip the the beach.
If you do pull the pillar panel up by the seatbelt assembly, watch out. The seatbelt device is a spring-loaded type. If it doesn't go back together exactly right, the belt will not retract. The noise in mine sounds like it is coming directly from that seatbelt assembly, which is why they replaced it, or say they did. But it did not fix. Noise above 55mph loud as ever.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
ok so dealer tech experienced the issue. they 'made adjustments to the lower shield' I think a exterior trim part. I haven't had the opportunity to verify but will this weekend. they seem pretty straight up so I am optimistic this item has been resolved...

Griffin

Reactions
ok so dealer tech experienced the issue. they 'made adjustments to the lower shield' I think a exterior trim part. I haven't had the opportunity to verify but will this weekend. they seem pretty straight up so I am optimistic this item has been resolved...
Please let us know how this turns out for you. Thanks.

Reactions
Hey, any updates on this one?

Reactions
I have heard that the flexible exhaust pipe section has caused noise problems, has yours been eliminated as a cause?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
yeah good news, so it looks like they fixed it. So it would seem it was one or more of the underbody panels needed to be tightened or fasteners replaced, 'adjusted'. I didn't get too much detail but it appears resolved.

The remaining item I have is the rear door sunshades are still rattling around, they have an open request or something with Ford about it, but I didn't want it to sit at the dealer while / if there is a fix provided.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have heard that the flexible exhaust pipe section has caused noise problems, has yours been eliminated as a cause?
This topic that I am referring to is a 'slapping' 'rattling' sound from the back seat door area at highway speeds.

I've heard what you refer to, as well, but that one kinda 'self healed' for me - I heard that a low speed / start stop driving. The @UNBROKEN has the fix for the exhaust somewhere on this forum.

Griffin

Reactions
yeah good news, so it looks like they fixed it. So it would seem it was one or more of the underbody panels needed to be tightened or fasteners replaced, 'adjusted'. I didn't get too much detail but it appears resolved.

The remaining item I have is the rear door sunshades are still rattling around, they have an open request or something with Ford about it, but I didn't want it to sit at the dealer while / if there is a fix provided.
Thanks for posting this. I believe they actually got it right. Today I climbed under my ST and sure enough the underbody panels were loose on both sides, but more so the driver side. There was at least a half inch of space between the panel and the underbody, perfect for wind at high speed to get in and make them vibrate badly. Unfortunately on the outer edges under the B-pillars, there are 2 cheap plastic fasteners and small hanging bolts without nuts. They just put thin fastening washers on the bolts, which once the plastic fasteners come loose just don't hold the panel in place.

So I put nuts and large washers on those bolts, tightened them down, then carefully tightened the plastic fasteners. I then tightened every other existing nut and plastic fastener on the panels all the way to the center of the vehicle. Then on the leading edge corners of the panel where it could vibrate, I adhered thin rubber padding to the underbody above to make it more snug and hopefully more quiet.

I took her out on the interstate and drove her 80+. Happy to say not even a peep out of either side.

OP
adp2020ST
Reactions
Thread Starter #19
They are working on mine today. Technician rode with me last week and said sounded like it was coming from the around the B pillar. They did something last week but that didn't fix it. Back in today to get broken driver side seat trim fixed. Said they would work on it some more. Printed out the post about the underbody panels.

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thanks for posting this. I believe they actually got it right. Today I climbed under my ST and sure enough the underbody panels were loose on both sides, but more so the driver side. There was at least a half inch of space between the panel and the underbody, perfect for wind at high speed to get in and make them vibrate badly. Unfortunately on the outer edges under the B-pillars, there are 2 cheap plastic fasteners and small hanging bolts without nuts. They just put thin fastening washers on the bolts, which once the plastic fasteners come loose just don't hold the panel in place.

So I put nuts and large washers on those bolts, tightened them down, then carefully tightened the plastic fasteners. I then tightened every other existing nut and plastic fastener on the panels all the way to the center of the vehicle. Then on the leading edge corners of the panel where it could vibrate, I adhered thin rubber padding to the underbody above to make it more snug and hopefully more quiet.

I took her out on the interstate and drove her 80+. Happy to say not even a peep out of either side.
What size nuts and washers did you use? I’m having the same issue and it’s annoying as all hell!!