Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Reconsidering Explorer ST

Reactions
About a year ago I missed a deal on an Explorer ST, when the dealer sold it 2 days before I could pick it up. I bought a Trailblazer SS instead and have really enjoyed it. Since then we had our first child, and both the Trailblazer and my wifes Rogue became too small. She now says I should get the next new car, not her. I had a few hesitations with the ST last time, and maybe they've fixed them since then.

The first and biggest issue is the 10.1" screen. Beyond being ugly, the software was horrific. Have they updated it so it uses all the screen in a not stupid way? If not, if I skip the tech package, all I lose is the extra midrange speakers in the doors?

I've seen posts asking about roof rails. Are these not typically included?

I remember there being a very noticible seam in the carpet in the passenger door area. Has this been redesigned to not be so ugly yet?

Highway mileage, do you guys typically get the 24 mpg it's rated for? Can I expect to beat that on flat ground at like mph?

I've got a 23' boat, how do these tow? What's the mileage when towing?

Any rumors on what 2023 will bring? Is it worthwhile to wait?

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If you lose the tech package you also lose the massaging seats. No change on the 10" screen so far. Highway mileage for me has been been 24 to 25 MPG. Drops on short trips around town. Roof rails are optional on new orders from what I've seen. Towing I don't have much to add.

Reactions
I've gotten as high as 28 mpg on a two hour trip, but it was mostly 55 mph. 65 mph will get you around 25 mpg, mine drops to 22-23 mpg when I go 70-75 mph.

OP
BlkGS
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Bummer on the roof rails, but not a huge deal, just gotta orderit with them.

Shame about the screen, had massaging seats in my f150, it was nice, but not a huge loss. Worth it for the better screen. Though I've seen kits to add then10" screen, maybe there's kits to do the 8" instead?

24 to 25 is pretty good. The TBSS does like, 18 at 75, lol. It's also at like 2300 rpm due to the 4.10 gears.

Seen comments and pictures about the 3 bolt rear subframe. It seems like the diff is still tapped for the 4th bolt... So why not just add that bolt? Does ARP make a high strength bolt kit for that?

So, how feasible is 500ish who without hurting reliability? I know livernois has tunes and it seems like hptuners and other as well, but is it actually reliable? If I put a Whipple cooler, possibly a new HPFP, is it reasonable to think I can just run it and not have any issues for 10+ years? On the TBSS I could do an LSA blower and 6l80 swap and have 550ish crank that'll run without issues for like, ever. Not sure if that's how this little turbo engine would be?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You can't just "add that bolt", It requires a bushing and the subframe no longer has a place for the bushing. As far as 500hp, with just a ZFG tune on 93 these will easily put down 430 to the wheels which is equivalent to about 500 crank. No blowers, no HPFP, no trans swaps.

OP
BlkGS
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
You can't just "add that bolt", It requires a bushing and the subframe no longer has a place for the bushing. As far as 500hp, with just a ZFG tune on 93 these will easily put down 430 to the wheels which is equivalent to about 500 crank. No blowers, no HPFP, no trans swaps.
Interesting. How does that diffy stiffy piece work then without the bushing? Or do you modify the subdrame to accept it?

How reliable is a 93 tune going to be? Is it reasonable to expect 150k miles without any issues, if you keep up on oil changes?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Not a fan of the diffy stiffy. But, it doesn't require any mods to mount it. As far as reliability, all of the factory ECU safeguards are there, so you shouldn't have any problems, but YMMV.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The Diffy Stiffy does require drilling a couple holes in the cross member.

OP
BlkGS
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
OK, weird question. Does a full size stroller(uppababy Vista to be specific) fit behind the 3rd row?

Reactions
About a year ago I missed a deal on an Explorer ST, when the dealer sold it 2 days before I could pick it up. I bought a Trailblazer SS instead and have really enjoyed it. Since then we had our first child, and both the Trailblazer and my wifes Rogue became too small. She now says I should get the next new car, not her. I had a few hesitations with the ST last time, and maybe they've fixed them since then.

The first and biggest issue is the 10.1" screen. Beyond being ugly, the software was horrific. Have they updated it so it uses all the screen in a not stupid way? If not, if I skip the tech package, all I lose is the extra midrange speakers in the doors?

I've seen posts asking about roof rails. Are these not typically included?

I remember there being a very noticible seam in the carpet in the passenger door area. Has this been redesigned to not be so ugly yet?

Highway mileage, do you guys typically get the 24 mpg it's rated for? Can I expect to beat that on flat ground at like mph?

I've got a 23' boat, how do these tow? What's the mileage when towing?

Any rumors on what 2023 will bring? Is it worthwhile to wait?
I like the 10-inch screen. It looks funky at first, but you'll get used to it. It's especially nice when using Navigation, since it can show more of the picture of where you're actually going. My Mustang has (I think) an 8 inch screen, and every time I switch from the Explorer to the Mustang it feels like a noticeable downsize. I would recommend just going for the 10-inch screen, especially considering all the other goodies in the technology package.

As for MPG, I know someone else said they've exceeded the rating of 24 MPG, and I can confirm this is true. But you'll have to be disciplined about your driving. You can easily hit 25 MPG if you're keeping it at/under 65, and maintaining a constant speed. But if you have a little fun with it (and it's tempting to do so), you'll watch that MPG drop down into the 22 range.

Regarding towing, when towing my 20 ft aluminum boat, MPG definitely takes a hit. I'd say I average about 15 MPG with the boat. Not a terrible hit, but not great either. But I'll also add that the ST tows like a champ. You'll never feel short on power, or like your brakes are insufficient. It feels incredibly planted.

Lastly, regarding your stroller question, based on a quick Google search of the make of stroller you mentioned, I believe that stroller would fit behind the third row when the stroller is collapsed. The split 3rd row seats would obviously help as well, but even without them, I think you'll be fine.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
OK, weird question. Does a full size stroller(uppababy Vista to be specific) fit behind the 3rd row?
Took a trip to Florida with the family last year. Kids had a three wheel stroller, we had to disassemble it, but then, we were also hauling luggage for the 6 of us. Like any packing, you'd have to try for yourself.

Reactions
I have a TBSS and the ST... my TBSS gets no where near 18mpg lol.... closer to 13 avg.
The only thing it has over our ST is sound. The TBSS sounds better out the tailpipe. It's way smaller, doesn't handle nearly as good nor ride nearly as good etc etc. But they both have shortcomings.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Best I get around town MPG's is 17.5

About 18 to 19 on the highway

I drive in sport mode and its tuned so that could make a huge difference

JohnSVT

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I just bought mine, so grain of salt here, but I've gone over 100 miles on the interstate already and at 80mpg it was showing 21-23mpg.

Of course this is FL with no elevation changes.

I was debating on buying new but found a 21 with low miles that looked very clean inside and out.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I just bought mine, so grain of salt here, but I've gone over 100 miles on the interstate already and at 80mpg it was showing 21-23mpg.

Of course this is FL with no elevation changes.

I was debating on buying new but found a 21 with low miles that looked very clean inside and out.
While these have small motor displacement these turbos sure get thirsty when in the boost. So basically they do well if you have restraint on the throttle...."but where's the fun in that?"

JohnSVT

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
While these have small motor displacement these turbos sure get thirsty when in the boost. So basically they do well if you have restraint on the throttle...."but where's the fun in that?"
For sure. Drive it in sport mode around the city and the average drops pretty quickly lol. Worth it.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
For sure. Drive it in sport mode around the city and the average drops pretty quickly lol. Worth it.
But hey, you don't get 12.60 1/4 mile times driving it nice!!! :D:D:D:D

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
But hey, you don't get 12.60 1/4 mile times driving it nice!!! :D:D:D:D
And therein lies the problem. Took a two hour trip on the highway and got 22mpg driving 75-80. On my normal drive to work I can't seem to keep my foot out of it and get around 15-16....same as my 9,000lb truck:eek:

OP
BlkGS
Reactions
Thread Starter #19
I have a TBSS and the ST... my TBSS gets no where near 18mpg lol.... closer to 13 avg.
The only thing it has over our ST is sound. The TBSS sounds better out the tailpipe. It's way smaller, doesn't handle nearly as good nor ride nearly as good etc etc. But they both have shortcomings.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
I get 18 highway in mine... Going 70. I average 12.7 ish city depending on how often I get on it.

Based on the test drives I had in the ST, I'd say my TBSS handles about the same withy upgrades as the St does stock, but with a much newer and stiffer platform you'd expect that. My tbss is dialed in to the point where it gets a bit of rotation under power, which is a lot of fun.

Space, no doubt the ST destroys my TBSS here. Not even close. The TBSS isn't small, and when it just us and the little guy it fits his stroller and bags in the back just fine. We are planning on a 2nd though, and there's no way we could fit us plus little guy plus dogs and stuff in it (same issue with my wife's Rogue).

The explorer I remember riding noticibly smoother. It was downright cushy. I feel like Ford has always done a better job at that than GM. That said, I prefer a stiffer ride, and would go with steeds spring in the ST if ingot one for me, if I got it for the wife, she likes a softer ride.

Where I'm struggling now is the st line. The 300hp motor would be plenty for the wide, and frankly, I like the interior more. The red stitching and analog cluster look so much better than the white stitching and digital cluster, especially with how laggy it is. I'm also a sucker for Alcantara inserts, the st line has and st does not. It's just only 8k difference between the two, which makes the ST line expensive and the ST a bargain.

She thinks explorer is too small, but expedition is too big (for her). I keep thinking I should wait 2 or 3 years and get a lightly used Durango Hellcat for me if I'm gonna spend good money on something for me. Maybe by then an explorer RS will be out, or an upgraded interior with better infotainment, and the red stitching. Maybe they'll eek 450hp out under warranty for the St, it's kind of lame that the non sporty models are as powerful as ST now.

With the supply chain issues going on now, even if I ordered something I'd be waiting at least a quarter so it's not even like I get the instant satisfaction of a new vehicle, and used vehicles are priced basically like new.

I know this all comes off as ranty and complain, but more than anything I'm just confused on what to do, lol.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Have you considered the new mdx s type? Looks really nice although a bit pricey.