Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Recall on the 1 bolt rear axle

Reactions
Good day,
Wondering if anyone here has heard the rumor regarding the recall Ford put out on the 1 bolt rear axle / sub frame issue?
I saw the posting in one of the Facebook groups I'm in. I checked my vin and didn't see any official notices.
If true, how does everyone who purchased the Stiffy diffy feel? Will Ford reimburse us...probably not?!

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Lots of talk about it in the recent posts in this thread Rear end damage
Ahh ok. I thought it was weird that I couldn't find a thread on this topic as this group is on top of everything lol.
Thanks I will follow that now, cheers.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Just got my notice today as well.

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Got mine last week. Uhhhh.
Not sure how I feel about it. I read in another post that Ford reverts everything back to stock. I suppose you can just upload your tune when you leave the dealership.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Essentially, people are getting all worked up over nothing.

Reactions
Just hopped under my ST to take a look. It appears the previous owner may have had the recall done. I Purchased it June 7th of this year. I was wondering would the update done to ECU by Ford show up the same to a Ford Technican as a tune by ZFG would? I wasn't sure if I got a tune done if I might be able to sneak by going to the dealership for work having the ECU reflashed already by the dealership for that? Maybe not.

Attachments

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just hopped under my ST to take a look. It appears the previous owner may have had the recall done. I Purchased it June 7th of this year. I was wondering would the update done to ECU by Ford show up the same to a Ford Technican as a tune by ZFG would? I wasn't sure if I got a tune done if I might be able to sneak by going to the dealership for work having the ECU reflashed already by the dealership for that? Maybe not.
That picture shows you have the 2 bolt subframe. So far that is not part of the recall. You may not fall under the recall. So far I have not got a notice for mine. What year is yours?

Reactions
That picture shows you have the 2 bolt subframe. So far that is not part of the recall. You may not fall under the recall. So far I have not got a notice for mine. What year is yours?
It's a 2020 meant to put that in the original post.

69BOSS302

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I posted this on another thread...just spoke to my dealer today about my 2022 ST. They said that FORD is out of parts and once in I will get a letter to explain how to get the recall fixed. I am waiting to hear back if it is the subframe or something else...standby.

Philip

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
I was at the dealership last week and the service advisor was trying to get the warranty manager to approve fixing the subframe or at the very least putting in the 4th bolt. The manager said no. There's apparently a notice in the system for the proper recall fix (whatever that is) in the 3rd quarter of this year so that's hopeful.
I'm up in Canada btw.
Tks.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I was at the dealership last week and the service advisor was trying to get the warranty manager to approve fixing the subframe or at the very least putting in the 4th bolt. The manager said no. There's apparently a notice in the system for the proper recall fix (whatever that is) in the 3rd quarter of this year so that's hopeful.
I'm up in Canada btw.
Tks.

Installing the 4th bolt requires the sub-frame change.

Reactions
Installing the 4th bolt requires the sub-frame change.
I’m gonna guess that it will be some kind of “patch” if they do anything hardware wise.

SWAG is that it will be a beefier diff cover and a higher rated bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3rd Rail

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST ‘22
Does anyone know if ford is going to change out the subframe or add a awr rear subframe mount type of solution ?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Would someone mind sharing their recall notice number for is using, please? My recall was for a flash to fix the Ebrak issue. I asked about the bolts and they said it is under warranty for 10 years or 100k miles. I rather have it done IMHO.

Buck Nutz

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Would someone mind sharing their recall notice number for is using, please? My recall was for a flash to fix the Ebrak issue. I asked about the bolts and they said it is under warranty for 10 years or 100k miles. I rather have it done IMHO.
Would love to hear what your dealer says. I asked mine & said e brake update was it for now. I thought warranty was 10 year / 150 K

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Huh he told me the other. If I can get the recall # he said he see if he can have it done.

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST 3.0V PHEV
Hi guys ! I just found and joined this forum, while looking for more details about this 'rear axle bolt' recall, and I have actually found something related to this on [ Car Recall Tracker - Consumer Reports ] :
"POWER TRAIN
Apr 14, 2022
A disconnected driveshaft can result in vehicle roll away when the vehicle is placed in 'Park' without the parking brake applied, increasing the risk of a crash.
Summary:
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2020-2021 Explorer Police FHEV, Explorer Police 3.3L, and 2020-2022 Explorer 2.3L RWD, 3.0L PHEV, 3.3L FHEV, and 3.0L ST GAS vehicles. The rear axle horizontal mounting bolt may fracture and cause the driveshaft to disconnect.
What should you do:
Depending on the vehicle model, dealers will replace the bushing and axle cover, or update the electronic parking brake software. Repairs will be performed free of charge. Interim owner notification letters were mailed June 9, 2022. Owner notification letters were mailed June 9, 2022. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford's number for this recall is 22S27.
For more information:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 22V255000
Potential Number of Units Affected: 252936"

Last edited: