Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

rear swaybar comparison AFE vs Steeda?

Reactions
Watch Commander's twin turbo interceptor. It sits about 2" lower then my ST. It has about 250# of equipment in the rear. I have about 150# in the back of mine. 20" rims on mine, 18" on his.
IMG_20230104_180944.jpg IMG_20230104_181022.jpg

Reactions
Passed by a PIU and it definitly sits perfectly level and lower. It looks a lot like H&Rs. Going to have to look into this.

Dont get too desperate on getting that ride.
What makes you think I’d expect the same ride/handling out of my ST that I get with my Cobra? Definitely no illusions there. Totally different ballpark.

Watch Commander's twin turbo interceptor. It sits about 2" lower then my ST. It has about 250# of equipment in the rear. I have about 150# in the back of mine. 20" rims on mine, 18" on his.
I looked at all the spring codes between the ST/PIU, and as far as I can tell, they are the same. I’m thinking any ride height difference is due to tires and equipment loads.

Last edited:
Reactions
As an update to my second comment above, had a moment to look up my spring codes. They are easy to find on the tags hanging from the springs, or you can see them on the lower right of your VIN label. Mine are ‘DDTT’ - with the front being D’s and the rears T (confirmed by also looking at the tags):

E3FF2435-C265-49DD-B191-98ECD51DD897.jpeg
Confirmed the corresponding engineering numbers on Tasca’s site under my ‘20 ST (and also checked another site where it shows the PIU parts) and they come up the same for both versions. The actual part numbers are always different than the engineering numbers, as an FYI.
066E702B-2590-4ADA-987B-38694D0C6E1C.jpeg
619DAA6F-9E79-48AF-93B4-01DE119A004F.jpeg
Other than the allegedly stiffer struts/shocks and the larger F/R sway bars, I’m going with those being the only suspension differences. Of course there may be some bushings that are stiffer as Ford has done in the past with PD vehicles, but there’s a lot of commonality now.

If it matters at all, this PIU photo from the Michigan State Police vehicle test shows a ride height that I would say looks the same as my ST ( with wheels/tires being the difference).

139C202B-78F6-4752-94F9-50711128BEA1.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
What makes you think I’d expect the same ride/handling out of my ST that I get with my Cobra? Definitely no illusions there. Totally different ballpark.
Not to put words into @2020FordRaptor’s mouth but I took their comment to be about getting a ride in a PIU (I.e. getting arrested) as opposed to getting an ST to handle like a Cobra.

In any case, thanks for the insight on the suspension similarities/differences between the PIU and ST. Interesting reads.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I wonder if the PIU shocks/struts are indeed firmer than the STs? They are almost double the cost. Seems more like Ford is overcharging the government than the cost to retool for stiffer shocks. Maybe they are the same part, just relabelled. Anyone drive both and care to comment? Especially lowered, I do wish the stock shocks were firmer.

Reactions
Not to put words into @2020FordRaptor’s mouth but I took their comment to be about getting a ride in a PIU (I.e. getting arrested) as opposed to getting an ST to handle like a Cobra.

In any case, thanks for the insight on the suspension similarities/differences between the PIU and ST. Interesting reads.
LOL, no worries. Didn’t think about it from that angle, so that was good for a laugh. Just thinking about getting on the good side of my local guys and just seeing if I could go for a ride - hopefully in the front!

Glad to chip in these details since it’s been interesting digging everything up.

I wonder if the PIU shocks/struts are indeed firmer than the STs? They are almost double the cost. Seems more like Ford is overcharging the government than the cost to retool for stiffer shocks. Maybe they are the same part, just relabelled. Anyone drive both and care to comment? Especially lowered, I do wish the stock shocks were firmer.
Hoping to find out. If anything, might just go with the assumption (as much as I hate doing it) that they are stiffer. Would be an easy experiment to just swap the rear shocks since that’s the end I’m interested in tinkering with. Since my Steeda bar needs to be re-coated, it will be easy to compare the PD bar once it goes on. Heck, I may even just leave the Ford part on for good.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Step back from the situation and consider it en toto. It seems that due to some nice research from @jrgoffin the springs are the same. Also, the shocks are different and the swaybars are different. Why? Has anyone considered weight or wheel size and its effect on both suspension tuning and stance?

For example, is there any sort of extra "ballistic" padding in the door panels that might effect weight? How about expected weight overall? We already know that many of the parts in the rear have been strengthened to save trooper's lives when drunken idiots plow into them from behind while they're making a stop. There may be other reasons why it "appears" they are lower. The ST and the PIU definitely share the same platform, but they are addressing very, very different markets.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hoping to find out. If anything, might just go with the assumption (as much as I hate doing it) that they are stiffer. Would be an easy experiment to just swap the rear shocks since that’s the end I’m interested in tinkering with. Since my Steeda bar needs to be re-coated, it will be easy to compare the PD bar once it goes on. Heck, I may even just leave the Ford part on for good.
Yeah, i was mulling the same. just the rears: super easy install, no alignment needed. I have 60k miles and could use shock replacement but tired of waiting for Bilstein. And if you are talking Steeda paint, one of my rear springs and the rear bar look terrible... heavy rust. Ive resorted to periodic spaying of Fluid film.

Reactions
Step back from the situation and consider it en toto. It seems that due to some nice research from @jrgoffin the springs are the same. Also, the shocks are different and the swaybars are different. Why? Has anyone considered weight or wheel size and its effect on both suspension tuning and stance?

For example, is there any sort of extra "ballistic" padding in the door panels that might effect weight? How about expected weight overall? We already know that many of the parts in the rear have been strengthened to save trooper's lives when drunken idiots plow into them from behind while they're making a stop. There may be other reasons why it "appears" they are lower. The ST and the PIU definitely share the same platform, but they are addressing very, very different markets.
Definitely a different market, and as I surmised up above about the ride height being allegedly different, I figured it was due to load and the tire size (although with that, I’ve never honestly looked at those numbers for the PIU). No doubt there will be more equipment, but interestingly, when the third row is yanked and replaced with the X-brace, that actually saves some weight (I had all those parts in my former ‘14 Sport since the third-row sucked and was useless). Still, I’d guess there are valving differences in those dampers to compensate for the PD gear.

Yeah, i was mulling the same. just the rears: super easy install, no alignment needed. I have 60k miles and could use shock replacement but tired of waiting for Bilstein. And if you are talking Steeda paint, one of my rear springs and the rear bar look terrible... heavy rust. Ive resorted to periodic spaying of Fluid film.
That would be cool if you were the Guinea pig here! I had hopes Bilstein would come through since they make good stuff (have them on my ‘03 Cobra), but they’ve never responded to my inquiries. Either way, the stock parts aren’t too shabby for now.

Yeah, no knock on Steeda, but my bar is covered in rust and coming off. I’ll either get in re-coated or sell it to someone who wants to put a custom color on it. After two winters in OH and MI, it looks pretty bad. I ended up not adding their springs since I figured they would lost their lustre in short order. In any case, I’m fine with the stock springs and just don’t have the time to swap them out.

Reactions
Totally forgot about the full-size spare being part of the rear crash rating. I think the 5G Explorer wasn’t beefed up as much, but here’s a better image of the 6G PIU frame where I think everything yellow is an upgrade to the frame (with the X-brace being obvious). If you can live without the creature comforts, a 3.0 TT PIU Explorer would be a decent daily driver!

C5D4CD1E-DACD-424A-A68C-AFDBE4A6A3D1.jpeg

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
[

Exactly. Was joking about that.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Totally forgot about the full-size spare being part of the rear crash rating. I think the 5G Explorer wasn’t beefed up as much, but here’s a better image of the 6G PIU frame where I think everything yellow is an upgrade to the frame (with the X-brace being obvious). If you can live without the creature comforts, a 3.0 TT PIU Explorer would be a decent daily driver!
I believe that x brace is bolt in…the rear bolts in where the 3rd row seat back bolts in. I was looking at it a while back since I’m thinking about deleting my 3rd row for the next audio build. The PIU interior panels would save me a lot of work as well.

Reactions
I believe that x brace is bolt in…the rear bolts in where the 3rd row seat back bolts in. I was looking at it a while back since I’m thinking about deleting my 3rd row for the next audio build. The PIU interior panels would save me a lot of work as well.
It is a bolt-in brace - attaches at the third row mounting points. It was a relatively easy mod in my ‘14, other than removing the side panels. I was fortunate to get everything from a wrecked PIU for about $500, but I’m guessing all the parts will run a couple thousand easily. Considering some of the additional frame structure on the 6G models, it might not even work as an after thought. Fortunately, there is decent under-floor storage in the non-PIU models, which the previous generation sorely lacked.

Reactions
What's different with the PIU panels?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
What's different with the PIU panels?
Some differences in the side panels that would make it easier for me to integrate a new false floor for adding more audio equipment.

Reactions
Some differences in the side panels that would make it easier for me to integrate a new false floor for adding more audio equipment.
I'll have to look into it. I'm most likely going to have to raise the false floor when I remove the 3rd row and do my system.

1680026220222.png

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
This is my first time tuning swaybars on an irs car…it’s definitely not like a straight axle. lol
I put the big AFE front bar in a while back and set it at the firmest hole…that was way wrong with the Steeda rear bar on its firmest spot. I literally just got done moving to full soft on the front…haven’t even driven it yet.
Hey @UNBROKEN have you had any more time to fiddle with these front bars? I'm about to order the steeda springs and definitely a rear sway bar, but the shop has a front bar in stock as well and I'm torn on whether to pull the trigger on it or not.

What are your thoughts, worth the effort? I'm putting it in the shop next week to put a ton of stuff on it. Won't be a better time than now to add that front bar if it's worth it.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Hey @UNBROKEN have you had any more time to fiddle with these front bars? I'm about to order the steeda springs and definitely a rear sway bar, but the shop has a front bar in stock as well and I'm torn on whether to pull the trigger on it or not.

What are your thoughts, worth the effort? I'm putting it in the shop next week to put a ton of stuff on it. Won't be a better time than now to add that front bar if it's worth it.
I posted on FB this week that honestly I don’t think the front bar is worth the money. I wouldn’t do it again myself.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I posted on FB this week that honestly I don’t think the front bar is worth the money. I wouldn’t do it again myself.
Much obliged! What's the name of the Facebook group? I'm in a couple of them for STs but I don't remember seeing a post recently about front sway bars so I'm probably not joined to the right groups lol