Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

rear swaybar comparison AFE vs Steeda?

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
'23 ExST, '17 Raptor, '16 FoST, FFR Cobra
Thread Starter #21
wondering if Steeda would offer their Engine Bay Strut bar in blue like their suspension parts... seems like it would be a cool option :)
update - ordered yesterday and it shipped TODAY! they must have some in stock - extra $25 well worth it IMHO

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Sure, assuming you can calculate shear modulus, polar rate of inertia, and the easy part, the length!
Yah I will leave it to people who actuakly know what there doing.

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
I would prefer everything in red. Goes with the calipers and emblems.

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
'23 ExST, '17 Raptor, '16 FoST, FFR Cobra
Thread Starter #24
I would prefer everything in red. Goes with the calipers and emblems.
dangit, now you have me thinking I should redo my calipers and logos into steeda blue ROFL

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
dangit, now you have me thinking I should redo my calipers and logos into steeda blue ROFL
That's what were here for.....to make each other go broke after getting too many cool ideas. @UNBROKEN is too good at that.

Reactions
Looks like they're both 3-way adjustable, and are 1" bars (vs the OEM 3/4" bar) I really like the greaseability of the AFE setup though, but is it worth the extra $20?

Steeda

AfE

I'll be adding Steeda springs which shouldn't change geometry that much

thoughts? comparisons? ideas?
Actually, the factory ST/Aviator bar is slightly larger than 3/4” at 21.7mm. The next step up is the Interceptor bar at 23mm then Steeda & AFE coming in at 25.4mm. The smallest one is 20mm on the base models.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Actually, the factory ST/Aviator bar is slightly larger than 3/4” at 21.7mm. The next step up is the Interceptor bar at 23mm then Steeda & AFE coming in at 25.4mm. The smallest one is 20mm on the base models.
I thought ST's got all the Interceptors suspension bits, including the sway bar.

Reactions
I thought ST's got all the Interceptors suspension bits, including the sway bar.
Just springs. The PIU has struts/shocks that are valved differently (looking in to that now, out of curiosity). The PD sway bars are also slightly larger.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Just springs. The PIU has struts/shocks that are valved differently (looking in to that now, out of curiosity). The PD sway bars are also slightly larger.
There are a lot of wrecked Interceptors that are being parted out for cheap money, wonder if their sway bar would help.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Is it just me of do the PIU’s always look like they sit lower too?

Reactions
There are a lot of wrecked Interceptors that are being parted out for cheap money, wonder if their sway bar would help.
It’s not a bad “upgrade” - I have a new one coming since I’m taking off the Steeda bar (all rusted and needs to be re-coated). Any larger bar in the rear for an IRS vehicle is going to help with turn-in, so you can’t go wrong! Funny enough, the ST has the smallest front sway bar (34mm) compared to 35mm in the RWD and other models, with the PD version coming in at 36mm. Same concept: tighter rear to cut the under-steer. Did the same thing with my ‘03 Cobra: big Eibach bar on the back and smaller base model bar up front. It’s amazing on the curves.

Trying to figure that out, but so far it seems the springs are identical. Then again, the Ford parts system can be weird, and there are a LOT of different code tags on these springs. Maybe I just need to get a ride in a PIU model and check it all out.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Yah they seem to have a perfect level to them too.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It’s not a bad “upgrade” - I have a new one coming since I’m taking off the Steeda bar (all rusted and needs to be re-coated). Any larger bar in the rear for an IRS vehicle is going to help with turn-in, so you can’t go wrong! Funny enough, the ST has the smallest front sway bar (34mm) compared to 35mm in the RWD and other models, with the PD version coming in at 36mm. Same concept: tighter rear to cut the under-steer. Did the same thing with my ‘03 Cobra: big Eibach bar on the back and smaller base model bar up front. It’s amazing on the curves.
This is my first time tuning swaybars on an irs car…it’s definitely not like a straight axle. lol
I put the big AFE front bar in a while back and set it at the firmest hole…that was way wrong with the Steeda rear bar on its firmest spot. I literally just got done moving to full soft on the front…haven’t even driven it yet.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
This is my first time tuning swaybars on an irs car…it’s definitely not like a straight axle. lol
I put the big AFE front bar in a while back and set it at the firmest hole…that was way wrong with the Steeda rear bar on its firmest spot. I literally just got done moving to full soft on the front…haven’t even driven it yet.
Certainly, the IRS vs straight axle means very different tuning on sway bars. However, I'm thinking there's also the difference in weight distribution front to rear. I've been involved in cars with more 60/40 F/R bias that weight 1000 lbs less than the ST and used much larger front bars.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Certainly, the IRS vs straight axle means very different tuning on sway bars. However, I'm thinking there's also the difference in weight distribution front to rear. I've been involved in cars with more 60/40 F/R bias that weight 1000 lbs less than the ST and used much larger front bars.
If my memory isn’t making things up I wanna say these things aren’t far off from 50/50 with just a bit more on the front.
EDIT….Google says 51.3/48.7

Reactions
Yeah, with an IRS car, bigger is better…on the rear. I won’t waste my money on aftermarket bar for the front and am content with a larger one out back. The Steeda/AFE bar at full stiff is all you need, or on the inexpensive side, the PIU bar. If the rear shocks on the PIU’s are firmer, which I suspect they might be, those could interesting to experiment with it. This is my fourth IRS vehicle and on all, I’ve stiffened the rear and it made a big improvement.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Yeah, with an IRS car, bigger is better…on the rear. I won’t waste my money on aftermarket bar for the front and am content with a larger one out back. The Steeda/AFE bar at full stiff is all you need, or on the inexpensive side, the PIU bar. If the rear shocks on the PIU’s are firmer, which I suspect they might be, those could interesting to experiment with it. This is my fourth IRS vehicle and on all, I’ve stiffened the rear and it made a big improvement.
If there were double adjustable shocks and struts for these things I’d be first in line for a set.

Reactions
If there were double adjustable shocks and struts for these things I’d be first in line for a set.
I’m really surprised nothing has come up from Bilstein or Koni. I do know Eibach has some stuff in the works, but whether it’s just springs or a complete package with sway bar(s) and maybe coil-overs, remains to be seen. I have Bilstein & Eibach struts/shocks/springs and the rear bar on my ‘03 Cobra and it’s fantastic gear.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’m really surprised nothing has come up from Bilstein or Koni. I do know Eibach has some stuff in the works, but whether it’s just springs or a complete package with sway bar(s) and maybe coil-overs, remains to be seen. I have Bilstein & Eibach struts/shocks/springs and the rear bar on my ‘03 Cobra and it’s fantastic gear.
My 17 GTI has Bils front and rear with Eibach Pro springs and rear bar. It’s a blast to throw around. That was a throw it on and forget it install though…the GTI community can tell you exactly what to do and take all the guesswork out of it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Passed by a PIU and it definitly sits perfectly level and lower. It looks a lot like H&Rs. Going to have to look into this.

Trying to figure that out, but so far it seems the springs are identical. Then again, the Ford parts system can be weird, and there are a LOT of different code tags on these springs. Maybe I just need to get a ride in a PIU model and check it all out.
Dont get too desperate on getting that ride.

Explorer ST Posts