Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear End Failure

Reactions
I've been pretty vocal about the continued issues I've had with the rear differentials in these. My first rear end went at 33k miles, replaced under warranty. 6 weeks ago the 2nd rear end went at 69k miles(only lasted 36k), which Ford was willing to help with if I waited until the parts were off national backorder. I found a rear end assembly in Hermann Mo, however my dealer quoted me that shipping would be $675 almost the price of the rear end itself! I took my Explorer back from the dealer(who was going to charge almost $2000 in labor alone for this job), ordered the rear end from Missouri (UPS ground was $120 and got here in 2 days), 2 new halfshafts, and 2 axle nuts. I then proceed to download and print all the pertinent service manual tidbits off another explorer site.

All told this wasn't that bad of a job. The hardest/slowest part was the driveshaft. I had to make a tool that mimics the ford specified puller tool, and then take almost every bottom cover off the car. Having done this once, I would say to do it again would be a maybe 4hr job. Both wheel knuckles come off, halfshafts pry out, remove driveshaft, pull the 4 bolts(or 3 for some of you), and reverse.

Now to the failure. The symptom was an extremely leaky driveside halfshaft seal.. The real cause was a catastrophic bearing failure. I was told be a local sheriff that his department has had failures, with a few causing complete seizure and I can believe it.

1693137960044.png 1693137996843.png

1693138018267.png 1693138040063.png

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
What does the ford specified puller tool look like?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just an fyi, you can weld a exhaustclamp to some square tube and add some square tube at a right angle to bang on.I made one up in about ten minutes and it works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I did something similar. Used a exhaust clamp u-bolt, some angle iron, some 3/8 keystock and a large nut. I had to buy the keystock anyways, to pull the dang fill plug out of the diff, since there's not enough clearance for a ratchet.

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
How did you know the rear end was going? Was it with a bang or a slow process?

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
It tore the output shaft seal and was pumping fluid out the drivers side
Any noises or other things you noticed? Or was it an oilstain on the driveway?