Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear end damage

Reactions
Well good to hear that they at least replaced it with the "proper" part. Hopefully Ford adds it as a recall or extended warranty for this particular "issue". Would suck years/miles down the road and the 1 bolt breaking on a 21 ST outside the warranty and Ford doing nothing to repair it.

Reactions
I think it will be interesting to see what Ford does with the continued production of the ST's and other Explorer's with the 3.0s making 400hp. If we see these vehicles come out with the 4 bolt, then we know that they messed up. If we see that they are all coming out with the 3 bolt set.uo, we know it was a change for the worse. Time will definitely tell with this one.

Reactions
It would be nice to hear more information about what influenced the decision at that dealership to put a 2 bolt w/bushing back in it vs. the single bolt it originally was built with. I'm wondering if they made a call into the motorcraft and were told to put it in as a replacement.

Reactions
There is room between the crossmember and housing on the 3 bolt configuration. Would it work to put a spherical bearing in between like in a suspension? This would absorb shock but increase stability in rotational aspect. The fact that the bolt would be long should not be all that consequential. Just thinking outside the box.

OP
Chrispw24
Reactions
Thread Starter #105
Well good to hear that they at least replaced it with the "proper" part. Hopefully Ford adds it as a recall or extended warranty for this particular "issue". Would suck years/miles down the road and the 1 bolt breaking on a 21 ST outside the warranty and Ford doing nothing to repair it.
I could see that being a lawsuit for sure. When we pay the premium price for this particular model explorer and we aren’t getting what we pay for.

Reactions
so Im confuse, my rear end looks like its got lots of bolts, does this mean its safe for mods, but the subframe will break and kill me and others?

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
so Im confuse, my rear end looks like its got lots of bolts, does this mean its safe for mods, but the subframe will break and kill me and others?

You are missing the #2 bolt in the subframe. Same as me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
You are missing the #2 bolt in the subframe. Same as me.
Yup. It is the 2.3L subframe for 2020. Sounds like a number of 2021 ST's were assembled with them. I'd be curious if 3.0L platinums, king ranches and aviators suffer from this tragic substitution.

Reactions
my car built in October, what crap.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
Yup. It is the 2.3L subframe for 2020. Sounds like a number of 2021 ST's were assembled with them. I'd be curious if 3.0L platinums, king ranches and aviators suffer from this tragic substitution.
My 2021 Platinum, build date Sept 7, 2021, has the same "1 bolt wonder" configuration.
The Platinum engine is not an ST however perhaps towing a travel trailer with mine will create stresses to cause a similar bolt failure.
Should I be concerned when towing my camper?.

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Personally, I think we that have this set-up should all be a bit concerned with the amount of torque/HP these little bullets can produce. As far as the Platinum (it's simply detuned a bit) goes I don't know if cutting back 35 HP makes this more acceptable or not. I'm going out on a limb here and gonna say you should worry too.

OP
Chrispw24
Reactions
Thread Starter #114
Should look like this

msota84

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Ive been digging for HOURS, does anybody know what the (missing) bolt PN is???

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
It's not a missing bolt...the entire subframe needs to be swapped out.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Just looking at the picture you see a hole and think "hey, I can just put a bot in there". It isn't that simple it needs the bushing as you see on the opposite side and that requires the sub-frame (the whole black) X-member to be replaced at over 1K. Some have suggested they might try to put a bushing in this sub-frame. I don't think that's something the average backyard guy will be successful doing.

msota84

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
It's not a missing bolt...the entire subframe needs to be swapped out.
I understand that, can find the sub frame but not the bolt PN, new sub frame (with both bushings) will do no good without another bolt!

msota84

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Just looking at the picture you see a hole and think "hey, I can just put a bot in there". It isn't that simple it needs the bushing as you see on the opposite side and that requires the sub-frame (the whole black) X-member to be replaced at over 1K. Some have suggested they might try to put a bushing in this sub-frame. I don't think that's something the average backyard guy will be successful doing.
Just doing my research to throw at the dealer! Luckily, I have a good salesman that is helping me with this issue