Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear Differential Warranty Replacement

Reactions
A week and a half ago I noticed a lot of oil on the rear hatch. I looked under the car and the entire undercarriage was dripping with gear oil. It appeared to be coming from the drivers side half shaft seal. I got it into the dealer 2 days later, and upon inspection it looks like I'm getting a whole new rear end. 32k on it. Of course it's on back order, and will hopefully be in next week. I have a feeling it's a quick R&R,. More info to come.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Just curious, what's your model year? 3 bolt subframe or 4?

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Hmmm? Could be the seal for sure. However, if service looked at it and think the whole diff needs replaced, it may be the diff housing is cracked due to overload on the one rear mount bolt boss. If the bolt doesn’t break, the housing may crack…

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
As @Cdubya mentioned. I'd be interested to know if it's a 3 or 4 bolt rear sub-frame. If it's a 3 bolt and the rear end is out, is your relationship with the dealer good enough to get the sub-frame replaced with a 4 bolt? One way or another I'd see that a 4 bolt was going back in mine even at my expense for the part. Of course, I wouldn't give that information up right off the bat.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
As @Cdubya mentioned. I'd be interested to know if it's a 3 or 4 bolt rear sub-frame. If it's a 3 bolt and the rear end is out, is your relationship with the dealer good enough to get the sub-frame replaced with a 4 bolt? One way or another I'd see that a 4 bolt was going back in mine even at my expense for the part. Of course, I wouldn't give that information up right off the bat.
Agreed. It may turn out to be a non-issue but I would feel a lot better with a 4 bolt. I'm on the fence about replacing it before I have an issue but it is stuck in the back of my mind.

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Sorry for the slow response, it's been quite the week.. Mine is an early 2021, and has the 4 bolt subframe. However one of the bushings did appear to be twisted, which will hopefully be replaced. If it's not, atleast the bolt will be removed and the bushing will be able to return to it's normally un-twisted orientation.

I do think I might throw a Diffy Stiffy on it, just for piece of mind though.