Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Can we start a campaign to get Ford to make a vertical to horizontal conversion kit?

Reactions
Vehicle
XX-XX

SeanColin

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
One thing I've never understood is if it's such a big deal, why did the people who complain endlessly about this buy the car? It's not something simple you can overlook or workaround, it's an integral part of the car. Of all the ST Explorers on the road, probably only a very small subset of their owners are even aware of or are members of this forum. Of the members of this forum, only a small amount that I've seen complain about this. No way is Ford EVER going to develop a retrofit kit.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I am guessing many people thought they would adjust to it but maybe not after all. Having said that, I fail to see any real benefit of the smaller screen. You lose the view of temp settings, you lose the ability to hop out of carplay/AA very quickly, you lose the ability to keep maps opened full screen yet still see media playing, arguably more dated design. All for what? Less than an inch of extra screen space for AA/carplay?

Ford doesn't need to work on a conversion kit, they need to work on hiring competent engineers who can design a proper UI. But we know that's not going to happen.

We know what their solution is. Get yourself into a brand new 2025 Explorer.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I am guessing many people thought they would adjust to it but maybe not after all. Having said that, I fail to see any real benefit of the smaller screen. You lose the view of temp settings, you lose the ability to hop out of carplay/AA very quickly, you lose the ability to keep maps opened full screen yet still see media playing, arguably more dated design. All for what? Less than an inch of extra screen space for AA/carplay?

Ford doesn't need to work on a conversion kit, they need to work on hiring competent engineers who can design a proper UI. But we know that's not going to happen.

We know what their solution is. Get yourself into a brand new 2025 Explorer.
1) I have the horizontal screen. I don’t hate it, but I sure am embarrassed when my German-car-owning friends get in
2) Ford needs to just STOP doing any UI work and contract with Google to do all design. I don’t know if they did that with 2025 but one would hope. Every single interface is just amateur

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
1) I have the horizontal screen. I don’t hate it, but I sure am embarrassed when my German-car-owning friends get in
2) Ford needs to just STOP doing any UI work and contract with Google to do all design. I don’t know if they did that with 2025 but one would hope. Every single interface is just amateur
Thankfully for the 2025 Explorers, Google will be doing the infotainment. Playtime is over.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
They are now partnering with Google.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I don’t know much about what Google auto is all about. Like, is everything in the infotainment Google designed? Climate controls, vehicle settings interfaces, etc? I’m sure I could YouTube this

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
I don’t know much about what Google auto is all about. Like, is everything in the infotainment Google designed? Climate controls, vehicle settings interfaces, etc? I’m sure I could YouTube this
I believe it is just the software for navigation, CarPlay, and audio. Ford designed the rest of vehicle interface stuff and probably tailored the software themselves.

As far as how you use it it will probably no different then Sync3 as far as learning curve. It will probably faster and better setup.