Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Real world mpg

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
That was the main deciding factor why we picked the ST over the Durango.
The main deciding factor for me was that the Durango SRT costs $17k more than an ST.

The fact it only got 15 mpg combined didn't help either.

Reactions
24.5 on a 600 mile trip last week averaging 70-80 and with a strong headwind on the way back. With mostly city it’s been right around 17.

Reactions
Heh, at least we're not getting the Durango SRT's 15 mpg combined!
As someone who came from a Durango SRT to the Explorer ST, 15 is optimistic.

11-13 is usually what I saw with a heavy foot, 10-12 in Michigan winters. I did average 20 once on a long trip with mostly 55 mph roads. If you're doing 70-80, it's more like 17-18.

I do miss the off-idle/low RPM throttle response, but definitely not the weekly gas fill-up cost.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
As someone who came from a Durango SRT to the Explorer ST, 15 is optimistic.

11-13 is usually what I saw with a heavy foot, 10-12 in Michigan winters. I did average 20 once on a long trip with mostly 55 mph roads. If you're doing 70-80, it's more like 17-18.

I do miss the off-idle/low RPM throttle response, but definitely not the weekly gas fill-up cost.
Wow, 11-13 mpg. Not that great.

I'm averaging 20 mpg with the ST. Dropping to SRT mpg would cost me an additional $220 month in fuel.

kezell17

Reactions
Vehicle
22 ST
I haven't done a lot of around town driving. The last trip I took we average 24mpg over 930 miles that was mixed with interstate and around town driving.

Killface0

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I'm getting a little more than 22 mpg on 93 octane commuting to work, 80% highway in Michigan. drops to high 20-21's when driving around town. With my ZFG 93 tune I tend to get 19-20 mpg, 17-18 if I have E30 in the tank.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
20.1 mpg combined.

Better than the Durango SRT's 13 mpg. Lol.

20220622_122849aaa.jpg

UWN

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
We just did a trip to cape cod. I was surprised with the gas mileage after reading some of the posts here saying they weren't getting over 20 mpg's. This was the total round trip, including stopping and idling to feed our new born... Shell 93 the entire trip... roughly 70-80 on the highway and cruising around the cape. I'll take it for the performance of the ST.
1657563072222.png

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Do you non tuned guys continue to run 93 even for road trips? Was wondering if it’s worthy of any benefits to continue with 93 for just driving 10 hrs on the highway. Up until a month again, I always just ran 87. Was happy and didn’t feel the need to bump to 93. Especially with gas prices. But I switched in an Effort to help with carbon build up and a slight bit more responsiveness.

UWN

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Do you non tuned guys continue to run 93 even for road trips? Was wondering if it’s worthy of any benefits to continue with 93 for just driving 10 hrs on the highway. Up until a month again, I always just ran 87. Was happy and didn’t feel the need to bump to 93. Especially with gas prices. But I switched in an Effort to help with carbon build up and a slight bit more responsiveness.
I just run it for peace of mind and Shell’s additives. Granted I only ever ran the 87 after the dealer filled it up after pick up but in all reality and I’m just speaking for myself here, the dollar difference at the end of the fill up isn’t going to break the bank. Fill up with what you want! No harm or foul, I get your point though, if you’re going to burn it cruising on the highway why not save a buck or two.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I just run it for peace of mind and Shell’s additives. Granted I only ever ran the 87 after the dealer filled it up after pick up but in all reality and I’m just speaking for myself here, the dollar difference at the end of the fill up isn’t going to break the bank. Fill up with what you want! No harm or foul, I get your point though, if you’re going to burn it cruising on the highway why not save a buck or two.
Yeah that’s exactly what I was thinking. I think I’ll run 93 going down and maybe 87 back home. Pending other variables though it probably won’t be a good comparison but I’ll see how it drives.

UWN

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Yeah that’s exactly what I was thinking. I think I’ll run 93 going down and maybe 87 back home. Pending other variables though it probably won’t be a good comparison but I’ll see how it drives.
Still some more data to add to this thread :)

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Especially on road trips! The highway is where you need power. Torque is not a player at 75mph, but power to push the air aside is a definite factor. We just finished a 2,600 mile road trip and averaged 24.4 mpg (best:26.2) running 75-80.

I put 87 in it today, which mixed with the remaining 93 probably gives me 89 or 90. I think that since the torque is almost the same regardless of octane, maybe my cost-per-mile will come down as it's fed 87, since for the next few months, it'll be commuting only. Torque will be needed but power, not so much.

The highway cost-per-mile on my Escape was noticeably better on premium over unleaded, actually being cheaper to drive using 93 over 89. I suspect if it made its road-trip on 87, the difference would have been even greater.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I get 20 on the dot with just normal driving. Where are y’all getting 26+?? And I refuse to drive in eco mode!! Lol
Why? If you're on the interstate for 5-8 hours, why not use Eco mode? All that seems to change is how it accelerates using cruise. It's a bit more leisurely when the cruise tells it to accelerate. If you need more, use the loud pedal.

Reactions
I always use 93 and mostly do mixed driving that is city dominant. I average around 19-20 on most tanks. When it's majority highway miles we average close to 24. My only mods are a drop in AEM filter. Still not bad considering we have 5(3 Adults) family members and 2 dogs.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Stock ST for the moment and if I leave it in Eco Mode around town, it gets ~20 MPG on 87 octane with 10% ethanol. Highway driving between KC and StL in Eco Mode at ~80 to 85 mph will net ~24 MPG on the same fuel. There is a slight bump up in MPG when moving up to 91 or higher octane fuel but not enough to warrant using it for normal driving. If I’m driving for fun and smashing the right pedal, then it’s the good stuff, Sport Mode and the MPG suffers accordingly.