Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Real world mpg

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
19/20 I’d say mix driving with fun driving thrown in occasionally. This is why pretty much no highway driving and mainly suburbs.

Reactions
Don't get me wrong, I am in Ontario and would us imperial gallons too. It is just everyone else that refers to mpg are likely referring to US measurements. Cheers.
Yea, you're right! Glad to see another Canadian connection, man!

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I get 20 on the dot with just normal driving. Where are y’all getting 26+?? And I refuse to drive in eco mode!! Lol

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I get 20 on the dot with just normal driving. Where are y’all getting 26+?? And I refuse to drive in eco mode!! Lol
I think that’s their reported highway mileage. No one is averaging 26mpg in this thing unless they only drive on the highway 100% lol

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Upload the wrong photo.

I get about 432 Miles out of 18 gallons of 93.
24 MPG

Attachments

Reactions
Two sets of data for the community - the on-board computer is never accurate. Below charts are all Costco 93 octane unless otherwise noted. These datasets are from calculated mpg:
1655039947512.png

Bands of +/- 2 std. dev. around curve fit line.

1655040508415.png
Last gas price / gal. swing down on the 2020 chart is due to switching the 2020 to E25.

Last edited:
Reactions
If I get 18 mpg - 20 mpg I am happy. I drive a mix of highway and street driving, picking up kids at school, driving to work, average 30-40 miles a day. I don't know how anyone is getting above 22 mpg in these unless its all highway driving, or driving around like a snail which I refuse to do.

Reactions
For me 18-19 city and 24-26 on long highway trips at 75-80 mph. Stock tune 93 octane whipple intercooler and thermal exhaust.

Tommy

Chingus

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST - Forged Green
I just drove from NJ to NC and back. I had an average around 24mpg.

SDFlyer1

Reactions
I get 20mpg (CDN gal) Hi-way/town average using ECO mode and 91.
On one long trip 22mpg (ECO/91)
I lose about 1-1.5mpg using 87

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I get 20mpg (CDN gal) Hi-way/town average using ECO mode and 91.
On one long trip 22mpg (ECO/91)
I lose about 1-1.5mpg using 87
I came back here to ask this question. What kind of gain or loss with 93 vs 87.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I get 22 mixed highway and city. 87 octane. I have fun with it.

Reactions
Two sets of data for the community - the on-board computer is never accurate. Below charts are all Costco 93 octane unless otherwise noted. These datasets are from calculated mpg:
View attachment 12900

Bands of +/- 2 std. dev. around curve fit line.

View attachment 12902
Last gas price / gal. swing down on the 2020 chart is due to switching the 2020 to E25.
exactly. The mpg displayed in on screen is not accurate. Ours always reads 10% optimistic. So yeah, that 24.5 it’s showing on a highway trip is actually 22.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
exactly. The mpg displayed in on screen is not accurate. Ours always reads 10% optimistic. So yeah, that 24.5 it’s showing on a highway trip is actually 22.
It might be optimistic- hard to tell. On a 2.5k road trip I checked the gas mileage over the entire trip on the highway. My measurements came in at 24.9 mpg. Computer showed 25.6. So in my case, not 10%, but a bit optimistic. Now bear in mind, my measurements are limited to the number of refills and subject to various gas stations, pumps, fuel temperature, vapor pressure, etc. Theoretically, the computer should be pretty much dead on if it's tracking all the right variables of injector pulse-width, fuel pressure and temperature, and distance. But once again, changes in those items could alter it.
YMMV!

hbalek

Reactions
It might be optimistic- hard to tell. On a 2.5k road trip I checked the gas mileage over the entire trip on the highway. My measurements came in at 24.9 mpg. Computer showed 25.6. So in my case, not 10%, but a bit optimistic. Now bear in mind, my measurements are limited to the number of refills and subject to various gas stations, pumps, fuel temperature, vapor pressure, etc. Theoretically, the computer should be pretty much dead on if it's tracking all the right variables of injector pulse-width, fuel pressure and temperature, and distance. But once again, changes in those items could alter it.
YMMV!
I found that in mostly city driving the on-board estimated MPG is 10% more optimistic but on mostly highway driving the estimate was closer to reality within 1 MPG or less.

Reactions
YMMV!
Maybe.
I have a truck (different make) and hand calculated mileage and vehicle reported mileage always comes back within 0.2 mpg. I’ve checked it multiple times over 90k miles (track all our vehicles on fuelly)

Granted I’ve only did the comparison between vehicle reported and hand calculated 3 times on the explorer (it’s only got 4K miles) - but each time it has been off (optimistic) by over 2.0 gallons.

Given that both tests have yielded such consistent results, in my opinion, it’s reasonable to assume the
accurate. Like you said, calculating fuel economy isn’t rocket science.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I have 30K miles on my ST and have never reset the MPG. Currently it is reading 20.7 mpg. This is mixed driving and rarely in Sport mode. I use varying octane levels, but typically use 87 octane.
I'm in Sport mode as soon as I leave my driveway, and even with spirited driving my combined is close to 21 mpg right now with 93 octane.

But that's using the car's computer, maybe I'll have to do it old school by dividing mileage by gallons at fill up.

Last edited:

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Heh, at least we're not getting the Durango SRT's 15 mpg combined!

Untitled.jpg

Reactions
I found that in mostly city driving the on-board estimated MPG is 10% more optimistic but on mostly highway driving the estimate was closer to reality within 1 MPG or less.
Same for me, mainly highway driving is spot on to what the computer says.

Mainly City driving is off by 2-3 MPG

Explorer ST Posts