Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Real world mpg

Reactions
Sorry about that. I hit reply too soon…I drive alone mostly. I’m about half highway. Half city. I use 93 octane with ethanol. I don’t carry any added weight in the car. I drive about 75 to 80 on the highway. In the city I’m always speed limit to maybe 5mph over. I try to take off smoothly and not get on it most of the time. But occasionally I will get into it. I live in Florida. So it’s flat terrain here. Been in the 70s mostly during the days. The hand calculator is pretty close to what the car says. But, it is what it is. Love the car. Fun to drive.
You seem to have generally good driving conditions for fuel economy. My ST averages 19.5 mpg (US). I cruise on the highway and floor it leaving every traffic signal. I have lighter narrower wheels than the 21" wheels with 275s, and our premium here has no ethanol. Other than that, the vehicle is still stock.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Sorry about that. I hit reply too soon…I drive alone mostly. I’m about half highway. Half city. I use 93 octane with ethanol. I don’t carry any added weight in the car. I drive about 75 to 80 on the highway. In the city I’m always speed limit to maybe 5mph over. I try to take off smoothly and not get on it most of the time. But occasionally I will get into it. I live in Florida. So it’s flat terrain here. Been in the 70s mostly during the days. The hand calculator is pretty close to what the car says. But, it is what it is. Love the car. Fun to drive.
If you've never reset the mpg settings, you should. Mine was showing 14.2 mpg for the first 1000 miles. I reset it for a long highway trip and it moved to 26.1 mpg. I haven't reset it since (several thousand miles) of mostly around town driving, no long trips and it's now at 19.2.

So, it needs to "break in" a bit- take a nice long road trip!

Oh, and eco mode or even normal mode will give better mileage than sport mode since they shift earlier and avoid engine braking, which allows for better "coasting".

I've always used 93, but as I've posted previously, higher octane is not going to give better part throttle fuel mileage.

Reactions
You seem to have generally good driving conditions for fuel economy. My ST averages 19.5 mpg (US). I cruise on the highway and floor it leaving every traffic signal. I have lighter, narrower wheels than the 21" with 275s, and our premium here has no ethanol. Other than that, the vehicle is still stock.

Drewwhid1

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Good advice guys. Maybe I just need to break it in more. I came from a 2018 F150 3.5 and I actually drove that truck more aggressively and I averaged about 19 mpg. But I’m ok with the lower mpg on the ST. It’s a fun ride. I may tune it eventually. Then I will no doubt get less mpg. :D

Reactions
I've never reset TRIP 1 and it's reading 19.6mpg. It sees 75% city and 25% highway.

Bordaine

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I am averaging 17.5 despite the nut behind the wheel is loose. It doesn’t help we have several 2 lane turnpikes here. Think dozens of 1/4 mile tracks all joined together, each with its own Christmas Tree.

hbalek

Reactions
There's a big difference between the on-board MPG displayed on the dash and what I calculate at each fill up. The display reads 19.5 MPG when my actual MPG is 17.5-18 MPG. My average MPH per tankful is usually between 25-30 MPH due to stop & go traffc in mixed driving.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
There's a big difference between the on-board MPG displayed on the dash and what I calculate at each fill up. The display reads 19.5 MPG when my actual MPG is 17.5-18 MPG. My average MPH per tankful is usually between 25-30 MPH due to stop & go traffc in mixed driving.
The calculated amount is not absolutely correct (or there wouldn't be a way to modify the parameters!) But neither is doing it by hand- unless you do it over many, many tankfuls. But it's good enough to be a comparative measure.

hbalek

Reactions
The calculated amount is not absolutely correct (or there wouldn't be a way to modify the parameters!) But neither is doing it by hand- unless you do it over many, many tankfuls. But it's good enough to be a comparative measure.
I do it every fill up following in my dad's footsteps over the last 40 years. LOL

Last edited:
OP
l1tech

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
Thread Starter #130
I don’t see how some of you are averaging over 19 mpg with some “spirited” driving mixed in. I hardly ever get on it with the right foot. I do occasionally but mostly just smooth driving and I average only 16.5 on 93 octane. Either you guys drive like a granny or I have a gas guzzling ST from the factory. Or maybe my smooth driving is heavier on the peddle than I think.

I'm right there with you.