Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Random Chimes...

Reactions
About once every couple weeks now while driving, my ST starts chiming with no other visual notifications on the dash or screen. It goes away after like 10 seconds but I'm always confused as there is nothing special happening as I'm mostly driving normally around town.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions
this just happened to me a few minutes ago. Taking a corner @ about 20 mph. No visual indicator at all. Chimmed like you hear when there's an open door w/ the engine running.

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
So now a couple times my rear hatch has chimed and popped open after setting my parking brake...

That worried me so I tried hitting the open button on the dash and with my keys when the car was in R/N/D... It chimed with no indication of anything and luckily no trunk opening. I kept hitting my keys and put the car in park and the hatch chimed and opened.

My working theory is that my keys are being activated to open the hatch in my pocket and making the car chime when driving. And very occasionally popping open the hatch upon park.

I do find any button on the key fob other than the lock key to be totally non-intuitive when in my pocket.

Dennis.

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Solution Found!

I kept getting random chimes even with my keys sitting in a cupholder. I actually got worried when I would park and as soon as I dial in Park the hatch would open. Once the hatch opened as I was walking away...

At the same time the foot wagging opening feature always worked randomly, if at all, and would even happen when just standing near the hatch. My working theory was that moving shadows/contrast could set it off.

I tested with someone in the car in drive and I waved my foot wildly under the rear hatch and the chimes went off! So given that the feature is useless anyways, I disconnected the sensor wire under the passenger side rear bumper in the little attached box.

It's been week now. No errors. No chimes

Dennis.

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
It also seems like the above fix of disconnecting the rear trunk sensor has eliminated the backup camera blue screen. I was getting it almost 50% of the time and it has been working 100% since...

Who knows, but I like it!

Dennis.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
Solution Found!

I kept getting random chimes even with my keys sitting in a cupholder. I actually got worried when I would park and as soon as I dial in Park the hatch would open. Once the hatch opened as I was walking away...

At the same time the foot wagging opening feature always worked randomly, if at all, and would even happen when just standing near the hatch. My working theory was that moving shadows/contrast could set it off.

I tested with someone in the car in drive and I waved my foot wildly under the rear hatch and the chimes went off! So given that the feature is useless anyways, I disconnected the sensor wire under the passenger side rear bumper in the little attached box.

It's been week now. No errors. No chimes

Dennis.

If you want to disable the foot activation feature all you have to do is go into settings on your screen and you can deactivate it there you don’t have to pull wires off.

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
If you want to disable the foot activation feature all you have to do is go into settings on your screen and you can deactivate it there you don’t have to pull wires off.
The only setting I could find is to turn off the power lift option... Moving your foot still would unlatch it.

Plus I fixed my reverse blue screen

Dennis.

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Update:

No more random chimes and zero backup camera blue screens since I disconnected the foot activation sensor.

Everything just works boringly well now...

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk