Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Post your Dragy times.

Reactions
I continue to be baffled by how far off dragy is from my timeslips. Previous vehicle was within 6 hundredths of timeslip 99% of time at all but one particular track. Three different tracks now this year with the ST, it has only been within 6 hundredths a couple times out of about 20 runs. It is usually a full two tenths off and has been half a second off multiple times. View attachment 11492
We’re these both the same runs? I’m assuming based on the slope in the dragy run, that it wasn’t at the track. Climbing a hill (albeit small) will impact your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
They weren't the same runs, they have different time of day when recorded. See both.

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
I new to this dragy thing, how do I upload my results to here? I uploaded it to the cloud on the app, but how do I get it here?

Until I figure it out, I ran a 13.08@83.12 1/4 with a DA of -198ft on a 5 star 91 octane tune. I lifted to early because at 1000 ft I did a 10.69@99.67
I also did a 2.01 60ft on an otherwise bone stock ST with factory 20's. Also I did a 2000 rpm brake stand launch.

Earlier I ran a 5.55 0-60 on the stock tune, 4.56 0-60 on the 5 star 91 tune. The stock tune 0-60 was a stomp and go launch, the 5 star tune 0-60 was during the 1/4 mile run. I tried a stomp and go launch with 5 star tune and got a mid 7 0-60
Easiest way is to take a screenshot and upload it here.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Yeah my dragy is right on my strip time(s) AND the Cobb AP in my Raptor, so the dragy is a very good tool.

Maybe the dragy isn’t connecting to enough satellites, or it’s just “off” due to calibration error

Also, if the dragy isn’t mounted securely OUTSIDE the vehicle, it will sometimes return goofy results. In the ExpST I stick it on the roof near the drivers door as the car really hoists the nose up under max acceleration. The Raptor has no ferrous metal in the body, so I have it mounted in the tray on the dash so it gets full view of the satellites most of the time. I’ve never had a problem that wasn’t operator error!

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Well here is my dragy results,

1st run you can see where I lifted too early

Screenshot 13.08 dragy.jpg

2nd run I still lifted early, but was better

Screenshot 12.87 dragy.jpg

3rd run I stayed in it until I saw 110 on the speedo

Screenshot 12.72 dragy.jpg

All three runs was with a 5 star 91 tune, 93 octane in the tank and a 2K RPM launch

Reactions
We’re these both the same runs? I’m assuming based on the slope in the dragy run, that it wasn’t at the track. Climbing a hill (albeit small) will impact your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They were the same runs and it was at a track. Time is different because one of them is a screenshot I took to upload. I've had slopes be off at tracks lots of times. I've never consistently had the times be this far off tho. On my previous car I had probably 300 ish drag strip runs while dragy was running.

Reactions
They weren't the same runs, they have different time of day when recorded. See both.
Here's a screenshot of my dragy history. You can see the time is within two minutes of the time on the timeslip.

Attachments

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Here's a screenshot of my dragy history. You can see the time is within two minutes of the time on the timeslip.
From post #77
Your timeslip shows 11:17. Draggy shows 11:40. What is it you're trying to prove? If they're off, they're off, but posting up two pieces of evidence that don't even share the same time of day proves nothing.

Reactions
From post #77
Your timeslip shows 11:17. Draggy shows 11:40. What is it you're trying to prove? If they're off, they're off, but posting up two pieces of evidence that don't even share the same time of day proves nothing.
The time you are looking at in my first post is the time I took the screenshot. In the post directly above your post is a screenshot of my dragy log, which if you look at the dragy time for the one I posted in the first post, it is within two minutes of the time stamped onto the timeslip.

Your post is basically saying either I'm a liar or full of s**t, what I am proving is that you are wrong.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
The time in the upper left corner in the blue is the time the screenshot was taken. The time of the run is listed right in line with the run. I new to dragy and I already figured that out.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The time you are looking at in my first post is the time I took the screenshot. In the post directly above your post is a screenshot of my dragy log, which if you look at the dragy time for the one I posted in the first post, it is within two minutes of the time stamped onto the timeslip.

Your post is basically saying either I'm a liar or full of s**t, what I am proving is that you are wrong.
I didn't call you either of those things! I just didn't see the point of showing what you did as evidence. So if you were offended, then I apologize. Now on to why the times may not be the same- GPS is only accurate to about 5 meters or worse depending on the signal and many other variables. So it's approximating the end of the quarter and the speed. I don't own a dragy, but I assume it's triggered from an accelerometer when you take off. That introduces perhaps some triggering error. Given those variables, it would be very unlikely that it would produce the exact same results you'd get from breaking the lights at the beginning and end of the strip- other variables include roll-out (distance to beams on launch). I'm amazed it's actually as accurate as it seems to be from other's anecdotal observations.

Edit for the math-
So, we could theoretically be off a maximum of 32 ft in measuring the 1/4 mile. That would result in a 2.42% change. Using a 12 second quarter mile run, we could potentially be off by .24 * 12 or .29 seconds in measuring the distance. Adding in the vagaries of when the timing starts would easily explain the differences you see.

Last edited:
Reactions
I didn't call you either of those things! I just didn't see the point of showing what you did as evidence. So if you were offended, then I apologize. Now on to why the times may not be the same- GPS is only accurate to about 5 meters or worse depending on the signal and many other variables. So it's approximating the end of the quarter and the speed. I don't own a dragy, but I assume it's triggered from an accelerometer when you take off. That introduces perhaps some triggering error. Given those variables, it would be very unlikely that it would produce the exact same results you'd get from breaking the lights at the beginning and end of the strip- other variables include roll-out (distance to beams on launch). I'm amazed it's actually as accurate as it seems to be from other's anecdotal observations.

Edit for the math-
So, we could theoretically be off a maximum of 32 ft in measuring the 1/4 mile. That would result in a 2.42% change. Using a 12 second quarter mile run, we could potentially be off by .24 * 12 or .29 seconds in measuring the distance. Adding in the vagaries of when the timing starts would easily explain the differences you see.

No worries, just trying to figure out why it's so far off.

I've used it in previous vehicle at milan, US131, kentucky dragway, summit, dragway 42, marion, national trails and a few other I'm forgetting. The only place it was consistently off was marion, but that is pretty far out and my phone rarely even got reception there. Every other track it was almost always within 6 hundredths. I always attributed the 6 hundredths difference to dragy starting as soon as the vehicle moves vs timing at track starting when the wheels leave the beams. The rare times I would deep stage, it would be more like 2 or 3 hundredths within the time slip.

Before I went to the track in the ST, I felt like my street runs weren't accurate but didn't know for sure. A lot of times I would be brake boosting and the rears would start spinning, so I thought maybe that was throwing it off.

At the track I've tried launching from idle just to try to rule out vehicle movement.

Three years I've had my dragy and they are typically consistent with ET's on the slips. Really just curious if anyone else had seen the same thing with their ST or maybe I should try buying a new dragy or if it is just something with their satellites?

I hate throwing money at a problem if I don't know it will fix it....but it's hard to trust my street run results when they are so far off at the track.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I installed my whipple IC today, then I uploaded the updated tune from 5 star. I then went to my favorite "mexican" road and made 2 more passes with the dragy.

Screenshot_20220417-180237_dragy.jpg
Screenshot_20220417-180322_dragy.jpg

I noticed I'm getting a 1.90 60' time. Not bad for a 4600 lb SUV with stock suspension and tires. Also a 12.59 is not bad for just an I/C and a 5 star 91 I/C tune. I have a ZFG tune, but I won't make any serious passes until I get it loaded, data logged and dialed in. For now I'll run the generic 5 star tune.

Last edited:
Reactions
Great results, where's your build thread? I'd love to see the progress on here.

I installed my whipple IC today, then I uploaded the updated tune from 5 star. I then went to my favorite "mexican" road and made 2 more passes with the dragy.

View attachment 11661
View attachment 11662

I noticed I'm getting a 1.90 60' time. Not bad for a 4600 lb SUV with stock suspension and tires. Also a 12.59 is not bad for just an I/C and a 5 star 91 I/C tune. I have a ZFG tune, but I won't make any serious passes until I get it loaded, data logged and dialed in. For now I'll run the generic 5 star tune.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I never made a build thread on here, maybe I should.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Did a few stock runs the other night to get a baseline down. Having a hard time getting a decent 60ft and launch, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
hold the brake with your left foot as hard as you can. bring it up to 2500 rpm and launch it.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
are you completely stock? when I was stock and running 91 octane I did a 2.01 60ft