Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Phone holder for small pocket in front of cupholders...

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
So I saw a few people talking about wanting a phone holder for the spot in front of the cupholders... I do as well and had some free time last night so made one. Here is how I did it:

I already had a phone holder that I used to stick to my windshield in my work truck. I modified it to make the console mount. I took the suction cup off and temporarily removed the phone holder during the build process

IMG_8781.JPG
IMG_8783.JPG

Here is the part I previously purchased... I would recommend the 13" version instead of the 9" so you have more flexibility in positioning your phone.
Amazon.com: Car Phone Holder Mount, Long Gooseneck Windshield Phone Holder with Anti-Shake Stabilizer, Washable Strong Suction Cup Car Mount Compatible iPhone 13 12 11 Pro Max/XS/XR/X/8/7,Galaxy and More : Cell Phones & Accessories

First step was to take some aluminum foil so you can get a mold of the bin. I didn't want to take the chance of getting glue or anything on my interior so I used aluminum foil and worked it outside of the car. For a better fit you could try heavy duty saran wrap and pour the mixture directly in the hole... Not sure if the head from the mixture would melt it?

IMG_8778.JPG IMG_8779.JPG

I used a plastic epoxy as I already had it on hand (cracked bumper welded back together on previous car). I would imagine JB Weld or a resin of some sort would work just as well.

IMG_8780.JPG

This is a two part mix (both in same tube) so put a bout a 1/3 cup worth in a disposable bowl and mixed it up and scooped it in. It is about the consistency of cold molasses so it takes some work. Once the bottom was full I stuck the stalk in and twisted in around and lifted it up and down to make sure the solution completely covered it. It takes about 10 minutes before it is set enough to put it down. Please note it will get HOT. After an hour I peeled as much of the foil off as I could and then started with a razor to clean up the big areas and then sanded it with my dremel and a sanding wheel so it fit in the cubby hole.

IMG_8786.JPG

IMG_8785.JPG

Final steps were to paint it and put some felt pads on it so it didn't scratch anything... Certainly not my most attractive project but works great!

IMG_8787.JPG IMG_8788.JPG IMG_8790.JPG IMG_8791.JPG

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So I saw a few people talking about wanting a phone holder for the spot in front of the cupholders... I do as well and had some free time last night so made one. Here is how I did it:

I already had a phone holder that I used to stick to my windshield in my work truck. I modified it to make the console mount. I took the suction cup off and temporarily removed the phone holder during the build process

View attachment 13179
View attachment 13190

Here is the part I previously purchased... I would recommend the 13" version instead of the 9" so you have more flexibility in positioning your phone.
Amazon.com: Car Phone Holder Mount, Long Gooseneck Windshield Phone Holder with Anti-Shake Stabilizer, Washable Strong Suction Cup Car Mount Compatible iPhone 13 12 11 Pro Max/XS/XR/X/8/7,Galaxy and More : Cell Phones & Accessories

First step was to take some aluminum foil so you can get a mold of the bin. I didn't want to take the chance of getting glue or anything on my interior so I used aluminum foil and worked it outside of the car. For a better fit you could try heavy duty saran wrap and pour the mixture directly in the hole... Not sure if the head from the mixture would melt it?

View attachment 13180 View attachment 13181

I used a plastic epoxy as I already had it on hand (cracked bumper welded back together on previous car). I would imagine JB Weld or a resin of some sort would work just as well.

View attachment 13182

This is a two part mix (both in same tube) so put a bout a 1/3 cup worth in a disposable bowl and mixed it up and scooped it in. It is about the consistency of cold molasses so it takes some work. Once the bottom was full I stuck the stalk in and twisted in around and lifted it up and down to make sure the solution completely covered it. It takes about 10 minutes before it is set enough to put it down. Please note it will get HOT. After an hour I peeled as much of the foil off as I could and then started with a razor to clean up the big areas and then sanded it with my dremel and a sanding wheel so it fit in the cubby hole.

View attachment 13184

View attachment 13183

Final steps were to paint it and put some felt pads on it so it didn't scratch anything... Certainly not my most attractive project but works great!

View attachment 13185 View attachment 13186 View attachment 13187 View attachment 13188
Nice work!

BillBeau

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
Does anyone remember what part it was that stuck behind the 10.1-inch screen to mount your phone.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Well done I was just thinking about 3D printing something for that spot on the console........

OP
-REDRUM-
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Well done I was just thinking about 3D printing something for that spot on the console........
Keep us posted... I dont have a 3D printer or that would have been the route I took...

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I came up with this mount. Going to take 2 hours to print. Need to order a phone mount.

Found an error in my math. The height is 2.5". Will need to order a phone mount to get the size of the flex tube.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
It fits. The opening hole flare at the top. You can see a gap in the picture below. I'll just use some foam tape to lock it in place.

Attachments

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
It fits. The opening hole flare at the top. You can see a gap in the picture below. I'll just use some foam tape to lock it in place.
That's exactly what I was thinking of doing but I was concerned about two issues.

1. Will the inserted base move around or Teeter/Totter back and forth as the vehicle moves?

2. How do you transition from the 3D printed base to a phone holder?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
If it teeter tottered you could cut it down the middle and put a spring in it. Just a thought.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Added a kick out to hold the mount against the console. Added the hole to mount the phone holder in. Will epoxy in place.

Attachments

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
What about extending the 3D printed base higher in the "Cup"....flush with top of console to give it more stability?

Reactions
Great job but now have your fingerprints!:rolleyes:

Reactions
Went a little barbaric on a custom phone mount.

A little bit of shotty yet effective woodwork and refining.

Super glue and some black spray paint.

Tore apart an old swivel vent mount phone holder (my favorite style that holds the phone the best).

Paintwork is terrible but this thing does it's job! Large bottles and such cramp that top cupholder but that is rarely the case. Usually smaller Starbucks cups and they work just fine.

Also another issue is that I can't open that storage door.. but that "mount" is easily removable and I usually leave it closed regardless.

Cheers!

Attachments

Reactions
Also, definitely didn't realize how small the pictures would be.