Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

OK, Went with ZFG Adam Tune…

OP
FORZDA3

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #21
@FORZDA3 Jeesh, you started out this thread so well! After alienating nearly everyone when you first joined, this thread was a good comeback. I think you do have good experience to contribute. Now you're messing it up.
Yeah, as long as ole broke thinks he runs the place and the several members who ride his d*ck, I’ll be the same. As for the rest of the genuine members, I’m just a regular guy with some experience. Facts are facts, feelings don’t count except in liberal politics.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You have once again hit rock bottom, and have begun to dig!

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Oh, and just because you're offensive, doesn't mean you're right! (Taken from your "avatar" pic). Ever heard of projection?

LokiWolf

Reactions
As a business tuner, Adam has more responsibility to customers whereas I can take mine right to the mechanical limit and beyond without business feedback concerns.

This simple, or not so simple, fact says that I can set my vehicle up to outperform almost any business tuner setup UNLESS that tuner also follows my approach. Adam certainly has more experience on the 3.0 TT and I bow to that fact, but there is NO MAGIC or “secrets” in tuning modern ECU engines. Only the lack of knowledge of the subject creates this sense of “special skills”.
I will admit that there is a LOT more data and adjustable parameters now than when I started hotrodding back in the 60s.
There is no “Magic” or “Secrets” as you say, but there is Skill, Knowledge, Experience, and Understanding. All of those Adam has. Especially on this platform. He hasn’t tuned one ST, he has tuned a ton of them.

Your propensity to belittle that and what the other tuners do daily is why the rest of us think what we think of you. The fact that you believe you can do it as well as them. Yet no proof.

It is people like you that is the reason I can afford the vehicles I own. In this case the Tech field. It is those of us with Skill and experience that cleanup after people like you F things up….Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
FORZDA3

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #25
There is no “Magic” or “Secrets” as you say, but there is Skill, Knowledge, Experience, and Understanding. All of those Adam has. Especially on this platform. He hasn’t tuned one ST, he has tuned a ton of them.

Your propensity to belittle that and what the other tuners do daily is why the rest of us think what we think of you. The fact that you believe you can do it as well as them. Yet no proof.

It is people like you that is the reason I can afford the vehicles I own. In this case the Tech field. It is those of us with Skill and experience that cleanup after people like you F things up….Just saying.

Yeah, I hear you about people fucking things up. In fact, that’s likely one thing that contributes to my skepticism of people in general. My job in Systems Engineering is also literally figuring out other’s screwups in aerospace engineering projects (on my specific platforms) and developing the fixes that will play nicely with the whole.

As for ZFG Adam, and only a couple other tuners, I have great respect for their skill and experience as it far surpasses mine at this point in time. My point about the no magic, etc is that skill and experience reveal the truth such that it’s logical, not magic.

I do think there are more mature members on this forum than most juvenile car forums, such that I wrongly lumped them all into that punk category. Indeed, I’ll try to take that into account in future postings, well except for that one member…

Also sorry to hear your Exp ST is gone as I did want to compare a few things.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Glad to know I live in your head so freely.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
See, and there is the issue. If Adam isn’t allowing it, it probably shouldn’t be done. His tunes are proven to be quicker than others with MANY data points, yet no destruction.

Sadly no more ST for me. Traded on a 21 150 Hybrid a week ago, and the dealer sold it Tuesday. It will make a new owner Very happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Those are pretty attractive product, I have been window shopping. How do you like it so far? Did you get the larger 'generator' option? Did you make out well with trade in and the purchase price? Did you return to stock tune and remove your ST upgrades? Sorry for all the questions. Nice and congrats!

LokiWolf

Reactions
Those are pretty attractive product, I have been window shopping. How do you like it so far? Did you get the larger 'generator' option? Did you make out well with trade in and the purchase price? Did you return to stock tune and remove your ST upgrades? Sorry for all the questions. Nice and congrats!
Love it. It is no ST, and a completely different direction. Always had Trucks in the Driveway, and one has been missing for 4 years, so it was time. Stock it has the same 0-60 as the ST did stock. Annoying that it can’t be tuned yet, but as soon as it can, it probably will be.

The hybrid is great. I do wish the battery was a little bigger, but there is a balance between capacity and weight. Anybody who gets the Hybrid and doesn’t pay the extra $750 for the 7.2kw option is just wasting an opportunity. It is great. Going to sell my generator in the Garage, and will use the truck in the case of a power outage.

Yeah, ST was stock when traded. Left a few cosmetic things on, and things like my Catch Can. Got 4K over what I owed on the ST. Dealer already sold it. I have a ton of things in boxes in my Garage I need to part with, like Steeda sway bar and brace.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I've owned Hybrids for the last ~15 yrs until the ST as I used to have a long commute and VA used to let them use the HOV lanes. The 7.2kw feature is awesome, would not go without that!

OP
FORZDA3

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #30
Glad to know I live in your head so freely.
Yeah, I allow it for your deranged ego. You are an enigma.

Reactions
I thought you had found a little humility…nope…same prick as always. Couldn’t do it yourself so you paid the best to get a copy of a real tune…now you’ll tweak a thing or 2 and call it your own. Seen it happen a hundred times…most people don’t readily admit it in the open though.
Is this implying when getting a tune there is no encryption or obfuscation? What is stopping someone from buying Adam's tune, and repackaging it if it's modifiable once flashed? In the hundred times you've seen it can you elaborate what you mean by copying and tweaking (what I thought was copyrighted and protected by the tuner) a tune? Thanks in advance.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Is this implying when getting a tune there is no encryption or obfuscation? What is stopping someone from buying Adam's tune, and repackaging it if it's modifiable once flashed? In the hundred times you've seen it can you elaborate what you mean by copying and tweaking (what I thought was copyrighted and protected by the tuner) a tune? Thanks in advance.
If you have the right device you can see the whole tune and modify it as well.

OP
FORZDA3

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #33
If you have the right device you can see the whole tune and modify it as well.
Not true. The device doesn’t matter. Adam encrypts all his tunes as any business tuner would and should. I have all 3 available HPT devices, MPVI Pro, MPVI2 Pro, and the RTD. Any of these devices will download a tune, if it is sent in the applicable format and flash it to the vehicle, but none will “open” a tune for editing unless I’m the specifically authorized format.
There was some discussion in another thread about this as well. Claims were made, but they weren’t substantiated.
If you know what your looking for, you can make some deductions from a data log, but you can’t see the actual tune parameters.
Adam @ZFGracing can step in here to confirm his tunes aren’t “open” for viewing or editing by the customer.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Not true. The device doesn’t matter. Adam encrypts all his tunes as any business tuner would and should. I have all 3 available HPT devices, MPVI Pro, MPVI2 Pro, and the RTD. Any of these devices will download a tune, if it is sent in the applicable format and flash it to the vehicle, but none will “open” a tune for editing unless I’m the specifically authorized format.
There was some discussion in another thread about this as well. Claims were made, but they weren’t substantiated.
If you know what your looking for, you can make some deductions from a data log, but you can’t see the actual tune parameters.
Adam @ZFGracing can step in here to confirm his tunes aren’t “open” for viewing or editing by the customer.
Older tunes from many people could be modified…that’s a fact. That’s why PBD wouldn’t send tunes to people with MPVI2’s.

LokiWolf

Reactions
Older tunes from many people could be modified…that’s a fact. That’s why PBD wouldn’t send tunes to people with MPVI2’s.
100% correct, and even a locked tune can be unlocked using a MPVI2 or MPVI2+ if you know what you are doing. That is why it is the professional device. The RTD does not have that ability.

LokiWolf

Reactions
That is all based on your skill set. But I am sure with enough reading and time, you could learn how to do that too…

LokiWolf

Reactions
There most definitely can be. All tuners using HPTuners software can lock the file. It is in no way foolproof, but offers a level of security to the Tuner to protect their intellectual property.

OP
FORZDA3

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #38
That is all based on your skill set. But I am sure with enough reading and time, you could learn how to do that too…

***sigh*** There are ways to get around any encryption for sure. The specific assertion was made that all you needed was the applicable HPT device to open, view, and edit a ZFG tune, which is patently false.
These conversations go no where as you try to twist my words into something not true. Just give it up and let’s play nice(?) if that’s possible.

Reactions
To keep this pretty simple what separates average tuners in this market vs the best tuners in this market, is the answer to question "what do you do next" there are a bunch of tuners in this market that can hardly get into the 11s and have been stuck there for 2 years. Over here we progressing into 10s with the next move already planned out. Even if people had open tunes they wouldn't know the next step.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reactions
So your hundred examples are with one tuner? Or does Adams tunes also fall into this category of buy, copy, tweak? Only ask because you directly accused someone of doing that with Adams' tune. I don't really understand how it works but I can't imagine a profitable enterprise if all you had to do was copy someone's work and resell it. Can you elaborate on the 100 times you've seen this happening?