Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

oil changes and the scheduled maintence? oil additives etc.

gafool25

U.S. Navy Veteran
EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 explorer ST
Ok so i take my vehicle in for the routine oil changes but i keep getting promped for the "extras" oil fortifiers? ethanol defender install? yes these are services at my dealership? i come from the old school of oil changes and spark pug replacement and around the 50-60k the transmission flush if needed? to me these sound like the ol snake oil additives? like the fuel treatment they sell you at autozone? i remeber my last vist the guy said one of the procedures would add like 45 mins to the time? i said well ill wait till the next service, i really think im gonna start doing my own oil changes after i use up those points ford gives ya for purchaces? i really think thast a scam initself casue they dont tell you how many points they take each time but i think they take as many to use them up so you have to start paying out of your own pocket? ill try and post a picture of the service menu at my dealership to let ya look and see what im taking about. IMG_1088.jpeg

UGADawg96

Reactions
Vehicle
F150
Looks like your dealer pushes BG products.

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
Laughing at these prices.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Ok so i take my vehicle in for the routine oil changes but i keep getting promped for the "extras" oil fortifiers? ethanol defender install? yes these are services at my dealership? i come from the old school of oil changes and spark pug replacement and around the 50-60k the transmission flush if needed? to me these sound like the ol snake oil additives? like the fuel treatment they sell you at autozone? i remeber my last vist the guy said one of the procedures would add like 45 mins to the time? i said well ill wait till the next service, i really think im gonna start doing my own oil changes after i use up those points ford gives ya for purchaces? i really think thast a scam initself casue they dont tell you how many points they take each time but i think they take as many to use them up so you have to start paying out of your own pocket? ill try and post a picture of the service menu at my dealership to let ya look and see what im taking about. View attachment 22562
Pass on the dealer stuff. They are really trying to empty your pocket. You should be doing ethanol treatments your self periodically to keep deposits clear in your injectors.

OP
gafool25

gafool25

U.S. Navy Veteran
EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
So i can buy these say at autozone walmart etc.? and yes im aware that these stealerships are emptying my pockets lol! thats wahy i keep passing, i heard one rep tell a customer that for the past three visits he has not gotten any of the required maintenance done other than oil changes? the customer said oil changes will be fine for now, and the rep went into this bs sale of these engines need more then oil changes blah blah, im going to do to the dealership that i bought this from and see what thier menu looks like! had a ram1500 before this, and the first oil change i went to they were trying to charge me 200 for the first service! so yes same deal pushing the additives! maybe these will give me 5-10 hp? hmmm

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yeah those prices appear to be set to mostly improve their bottom line!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
So i can buy these say at autozone walmart etc.? and yes im aware that these stealerships are emptying my pockets lol! thats wahy i keep passing, i heard one rep tell a customer that for the past three visits he has not gotten any of the required maintenance done other than oil changes? the customer said oil changes will be fine for now, and the rep went into this bs sale of these engines need more then oil changes blah blah, im going to do to the dealership that i bought this from and see what thier menu looks like! had a ram1500 before this, and the first oil change i went to they were trying to charge me 200 for the first service! so yes same deal pushing the additives! maybe these will give me 5-10 hp? hmmm
Yep, all of those places will have treatments. I do it on every oil change, 5k miles. I use either Seafoam or STA-BIL.

OP
gafool25

gafool25

U.S. Navy Veteran
EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
Ok thats cool off to the danger zone i go!

Fly Ty

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2025 Ford Explorer ST
Ok so i take my vehicle in for the routine oil changes but i keep getting promped for the "extras" oil fortifiers? ethanol defender install? yes these are services at my dealership? i come from the old school of oil changes and spark pug replacement and around the 50-60k the transmission flush if needed? to me these sound like the ol snake oil additives? like the fuel treatment they sell you at autozone? i remeber my last vist the guy said one of the procedures would add like 45 mins to the time? i said well ill wait till the next service, i really think im gonna start doing my own oil changes after i use up those points ford gives ya for purchaces? i really think thast a scam initself casue they dont tell you how many points they take each time but i think they take as many to use them up so you have to start paying out of your own pocket? ill try and post a picture of the service menu at my dealership to let ya look and see what im taking about. View attachment 22562
Yeah a lot of dealerships try to over charge for most things. It’ll be much more cost effective to do some of those things on your own. I have a few YouTube videos saved to learn how to perform these tasks myself and save some money.

OP
gafool25

gafool25

U.S. Navy Veteran
EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
So any recommendations? certain brands? BG? Lucas? cause i know the people at the zone will just push whatever then can to sell of what needs to be moved off the shelf if i ask what kind, cause they will ask, what type of vehicle, auto or manual, 2wd or 4wd? lol!

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
So any recommendations? certain brands? BG? Lucas? cause i know the people at the zone will just push whatever then can to sell of what needs to be moved off the shelf if i ask what kind, cause they will ask, what type of vehicle, auto or manual, 2wd or 4wd? lol!
You can go wrong with the 2 below for gas treatment.
Seafoam Motor treatment
Sta Bil 360

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Amsoil also has a fuel treatment option as well that seems decent.

Seafoam and STA are great options. I put one in every oil change (3K miles)

Those prices are pretty nuts too.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Amsoil also has a fuel treatment option as well that seems decent.

Seafoam and STA are great options. I put one in every oil change (3K miles)

Those prices are pretty nuts too.
Sta Bil 360 actually recommends to put in every fillup.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I run hot shot friction reducer with every oil change and gasoline extreme every 10k miles.

Had a bunch of diesel trucks at my business and became a convert to their products. Always got high mileage out if injectors. Some going 300 k or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk